User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 188 of 221 First Previous 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-12, 10:55

I agree with 709, so the Love or Hate Trump bullshit has been moved over to the Love or Hate Trump bullshit thread.

Regarding the euthanasia topic, I have no trouble allowing people to die when they are suffering, nor do I have any trouble aiding in their comfort. On this topic, I can speak from very personal experience. My son, Timathy, was born with cerebral palsy and had severe complications related to that. At 7 1/2, his body had worn itself out, and we allowed him to die. He stopped eating, he could no longer keep water down, and he simply died. The truth is —and with he aid of our hospice nurse — we administered some concoction that aided in his comfort so that he wasn't fighting a fight he didn't even understand. The concoction was a sedative that allowed his body to relax so that he could stop fighting. Without it, his pure instinct kept fighting against itself and he suffered. So, I get it — believe me!

But there is no way in hell I would have ever "euthanized" him. Not on your life!

Dying when your body is done and killing yourself because you don't want to fight any more are very different things. But, I will not stand in your suicidal way. If you don't want to carry on any longer, go ahead and off yourself. That's on you. What I will never get on board with, however, is granting permission to the government to start killing people they don't want around any longer, or handing death-pills to people who aren't thinking clearly. This line of Hitlerian thinking might start off with good intentions, but our social-media-addicted, violence-prone, asshole society is in no way prepared to be making those decisions for people, even if those people aren't able to make the decision for themselves.

There is no way this ends well. There will be golden estates that get inherited when mom is euthanized; there will be happy wives who get hubby's fortune when that drugged-up "jerk" was dumb enough to give his cheating wife the legal capacity to off him in his hospital bed; there will be governments that want/need to cut health-care spending; there will be parents with disabled children whose time-consuming needs get too tiring.

There is absolutely nothing anyone on these boards or IRL who can convince me that assisted suicide is a good thing. Ever.

But, if all y'all want to have a discussion about keeping suffering people comfortable, then I'm all ears.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2022-08-12 at 11:19.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-08-12, 11:07

We may have a similar read of Trudeau actually. He didn't immediately strike me as a person of deeply held convictions so much as a product of generational tastes. He's quite attuned to the political desires of a certain generation, and tends to reflect what a majority of those around him believe at least in part because he's concerned with how they see him. In short, he reads the room well, but if I were in his shoes I would consider getting some new guests in "the room," not cabinet or caucus, but the metaphorical "room", the salon, the street corner, the office cooler, wherever one goes to listen to people describe their lives/ideas/worries, etc...

That said, I'm in no rush to hang him, nor should you be, until he has been thoughtfully compared to the alternatives. Generally, we hold our noses and vote for the least bad option, and whenever the next election comes, that might still be Mr. Trudeau.

Vehement opposition that tries to reduce every issue down to a problem with this leader or that one quickly tends to gloss over important details of the actual issue itself... as has been stated elsewhere, if the legislator wouldn't deal with it, the courts would. Have we got the best solution? Is there room to improve? Will we get there by playing a game of who sucks worst?

Last edited by Matsu : 2022-08-12 at 15:06.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-08-12, 14:52

No, we solve nothing by only voting for the one that is the better of x number of evils, which is how I’ve voted for the last 3-4 elections. It does not get us a better country for everyone, but for some reason or another political groups just kind of suck over all.

They are so worried about the next election that they get nothing done. Of course without that threat the parties would do all kinds of crazy stuff.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-08-13, 06:49

In Canada the recent history of the euthanasia debate traces back to a 2016 Supreme court decision, and then a Quebec superior court decision a couple of years after that struck down the "foreseeable death" conditions to access. I'm not really sure why this also wasn't appealed to the Supreme Court, but I believe the government at least in part believed that the Supreme Court would rule similarly, and likely rationalized their move in part on some "freedom to legislate" argument (and a read of popular sentiment). I don't particularly buy the former line, it would have been interesting to see this legally tested... The Parliament acted and all but the Conservative party, under then leader Peter O'Toole, supported legislation to expand access to medically assisted death. Interestingly though, Peter O'Toole is also quoted as saying that he would not have re-opened the question once decided, and you have to believe that in large part their opposition was essentially procedural, part of their role as the "Queen's Loyal Opposition." O'Toole is out, and the Conservative Party members’ most recent resolutions oppose Canada's euthanasia laws. However, the Conservative Party itself (the organization, not the rank and file citizenry who've paid a membership) has no formal position, nor has had one since.

I find ALL the parties tend to lack the courage of their convictions, including Canada's Conservatives. In his career, Harper fought like crazy to suppress his party's sentiments on same sex marriage and abortion, while giving them a wink and a nod behind closed doors, particularly in the early days of securing his leadership. To be clear, I'm not judging the value of their ideas here, I'm just taking a look at how they tend to edit their thoughts and beliefs to the political reality of the moment. Today, there is almost no doubt that Pierre Poilievre will be the next conservative leader. He spoke against Bill C-7, and has referenced the very case of Roger Foley mentioned earlier in thread.

He's out there selling an image of hard lined conservatism. He's got an interesting history of talking out of both sides of his mouth when it comes to abortion (just like Stephen Harper). Now he's spoken against C-7, even somewhat recently. Its most contentious sections come into force in 2023, but we'll see. His ilk has a penchant for courting opposition only to declare the matter settled if they sense it harms their popular appeal. So we'll see...

Last edited by Matsu : 2022-08-13 at 15:01.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-08-13, 11:22

My take on the assisted suicide medically take is this. I work with cancer patients, I'm responsible for helping file for the last-chance drug trials for specific people when everything available via conventional treatment is over and they're risking experimental clinical trials to strive for a few months or a year more. And I do that and I see how these patients are feeling and some of them are appealing for the trials because they want a longer chance and some just feel like they have to because other people want to keep them going. And some of them are in very poor state and the chemo consequences are awful. I'm not saying I think they should be offered forced euthenasia, but if it was me having cancer and in that end-game state, I know I would personally choose that option! For myself! And I would like to be allowed it for myself!

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-13, 16:51

It should be an option, with some screening and counseling.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-08-15, 14:49

Yes a physiological evaluation should play a role in the person being able to make the choice.
¡Damned!

2022-08-17, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Asshole didn't pay attention when he was told "Loose lips sink ships" and tries to sell out on US Navy.

Along with others, this guy used his former access to cache documents on Secret/Top Secret data and tried to sell them. Thankfully he tried to sell them to the FBI. I hope this guy and his wife spend the next 50 years locked up.
You might get that wish...

Quote:
The sentencing range agreed to by lawyers for Jonathan Toebbe had called for a potential punishment between roughly 12 years and 17 years in prison. Prosecutors said Tuesday that such a sentence would be one of the most significant imposed in modern times under the Atomic Energy Act of 1954. Prosecutors also sought three years for Diana Toebbe.

U.S. District Judge Gina Groh said that while she generally honors plea agreements, in this case she said the sentencing options were "strikingly deficient" considering the seriousness of the charges.

Groh said the act to which the couple pleaded guilty was done "for selfish and greedy reasons, but could have caused great harm" to the Navy and others.

"I don't find any justifiable reasons for accepting either one of these plea agreements," Groh said.
news link
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-17, 10:45

I wonder who the foreign country is? China? Russia? But, that the foreign country seems to have cooperated with the U.S. in turning the classified documents over to a U.S. representative leads me to believe it is a country with which the U.S. has good relations?

Doesn't seem like China or Russia would cooperate like that, as they would want more information for their own anti-submarine countermeasures programs. Unless, of course, they copied all of the data before turning it over so they could have their cake and eat it? Except that would cut off the supply of information. And if that stuff ever reached into the Top Secret™ bag, .

And, good for the judge! She seems to have seen through the B.S. and figures on them doing some pretty hard time.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-17, 13:14

Nice to see the judge isn't buying it. It will be interesting to see what the sentence actually ends up being.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-08-17, 14:49

At least it wasn’t North Korea…
Anonymous Coward

2022-08-18, 10:55

Unethical nature versus nurture experiment performed in Nazi Germany the Soviet Union Communist China the United States in the 1960s. Unfortunately, if the study were conducted elsewhere, it probably would have been more thorough and better documented, although more invasive.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-09-01, 09:52

Wasn't sure if this belonged in the Musk v Twitter thread since he was blustering about adding this feature, but…

Twitter Launches an Edit Button for Paying Subscribers

Quote:
Twitter Inc. is launching an edit button for the first time, after years of debate both internally and externally as to whether such a feature was a good idea for a product known for making posts go viral.

The edit feature will soon be available to users who pay $4.99 per month for a subscription to Twitter Blue. Edit Tweet, as the feature will be called, will let users make changes to their tweet for up to 30 minutes after it’s originally published. Tweets that are edited will carry a label, and others on Twitter will be able to click on the label to see prior versions of the post.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-01, 10:08

I would totally pay $5 a month to be able to edit a tweet that still shows the unedited version.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-09-01, 10:30

I'm okay with it providing access to the original version, and I actually think that's a good idea to bolster a touch of accountability. Hopefully that means people will use this more for correcting typos and mistakes and less for baiting and switching.

Something like the way GitHub comments show history could be nice. I'll try to find an example of that…

Like the "edited" notification and selector at the top of my issue description here: https://github.com/cloudigrade/cloudigrade/issues/1267

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-01, 10:44

Dang, dude, get a haircut!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-01, 11:16

Quote:
I would totally pay $5 a month to be able to edit a tweet that still shows the unedited version.
Yeah, Twitter would have to be generating profit for that to be even remotely worth having.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-09-01, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Dang, dude, get a haircut!

It's even worse now! I stopped cutting my hair shortly after the COVID pandemic started, thinking, "this will be a neat way to see how long it takes before we get this messy situation behind us." Alas, there's still no end in sight, and it may reach the floor before the daily US death counts are under 100…

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-02, 10:58

Today's political nonsense has been moved to the Political Nonsense thread.

Edit: Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by kscherer : 2022-09-02 at 11:22.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-02, 11:04

But it wasn't about Trump.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-02, 11:16

Quote:
But it wasn't about Trump.
Umm, it was. Biden whining about Trump is about Trump. But, perhaps I should have shoved it into a new Political Nonsense thread?

Edit: I've created a new thread for the current political wrangling. I would like the Daily News thread to remain as free from political garbage as possible. Otherwise, it gets tangled up and nasty in here. Hard enough keeping up with Paul's moron-a-thon!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-02, 11:26

Better title!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-09-08, 20:21

Thread split because I have a hunch there will be more news and discussion about the monarchy and royal family in the coming days.

Queen Elizabeth II has died, aged 96. Prince Charles now King Charles III.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-09-15, 09:53

The long awaited, often delayed merge of Etherium happened overnight.

https://twitter.com/MKjrstad/status/1570302609679945731
https://techcrunch.com/2022/09/15/et...ing-the-merge/
https://www.technologyreview.com/202...roof-of-stake/
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/15/t...ge-crypto.html
Quote:
“The Merge”, a major upgrade to the Ethereum cryptocurrency platform, was finally completed today after a six-year buildup. As of 2:43 ET this morning, Ethereum now uses proof of stake, a way to approve new transactions that promises to cut the blockchain’s energy requirements by 99.9% and usher in a new era for the second-largest cryptocurrency.
What does that mean? Etherium is by far the most popular cryptocurrency that has been mined using GPUs. Bitcoin miners gave up on GPUs and moved to custom dedicated ASICs years ago. As of last night, Etherium no longer uses proof of work (PoW) as the key driver for mining, and that means all those GPUs burning absurd amounts of power (and carbon, of course) have finally gone quiet. Instead, Etherium now demands proof of stake (PoS) which generally means you must have tokens to make tokens, and if you stake your tokens, they'll earn interest, but you can't stake unless you have a huge investment like $50,000+. Yes, it's weird. Don't question it.

This is hopefully big news for gamers and PC users because the rise of Etherium is the key reason for the meteoric rise in GPU prices and fall in available supply for the last 4-5 years. It wasn't long ago that storefronts were charging 10x MSRP for new GPUs, and even years-old used GPUs were in high demand and stupidly overpriced. In the last couple months, retail GPU prices have already been returning to Earth, and in the next couple months, supplies and prices should stabilize even more. If you're shopping around, though, be very wary of cheap used GPUs. Miners run these things continuously for months at near-thermal-shutdown temperatures, and all that heat puts a severe physical strain on the chips and boards, significantly shortening their usable lifespans.

What this means for people who trade crypto as a digital asset or a financial vehicle is murky. I for one hope the change in mining results in further collapse of this tulip mania pyramid scheme. Will some other coin be "the new Etherium" like how Etherium effectively took the crown from Bitcoin? Will the grifters and move on to something less damaging to everything? shrug

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-09-15, 09:59

Hard fork of Etherium in 3… 2…
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-15, 10:03

I mined bitcoins twice in my lifetime. Once intentionally and I accomplished nothing but making a lot of heat and lost the use of the computer I tried. That isn't last long at all, like hours at best.

The second was when I visited a website that used my resources to mine while I browsed. I then realized what was happening and added the relevant entries into my Pi-hole.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-09-15, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Hard fork of Etherium in 3… 2…
Etherium Classic is still a thing that continues with PoW, and word on the street is that tons of miners have already redirected their rigs at that.

To compare on financial terms, the total current supply of ETH is worth about $182B and ETC is worth about $5B.

¡Damned!

2022-09-20, 08:11

** The Flavor You Crave News **

Beyond Meat's COO arrested after he bit a man's nose in a fit of rage.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-20, 08:17

Ok, now that was a news article I needed this morning. So much in that right there. At least he didn't go the Tyson route and bite the ear.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-20, 09:14

Guess he loves meat after all, must be all the pent up anger from just eating plants.