User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Norfolk VA gets an Apple Retail Store, FINALLY.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Norfolk VA gets an Apple Retail Store, FINALLY.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-09-02, 17:29

I talked with some of the workers in the store and they are turning the store over to Apple in a week. They said it normally takes about 2 weeks for apple to get set up and open, but they didn't know exactly when it was to be opened. I had the chance to look in the store in it's construction phase, it will look like every other one I have seen. Lots of "oak" colored wood and etched glass. Same shelving in the back near the checkout area. GB on the right, etc...

Thank God I won't have to drive to Richmond anymore! CompUSA Mac rep is a waste of Apples money, or CompUSA, whichever is paying him. I guess I could have headed to Raleigh for the Apple store there, but Va has less tax I think. The store is going up in MacArthur Center, which is our "upscale" mall for the area. I'm really looking forward to this though I will not be one of the first in line. I'll wait until the store is actually opened and then stop in for my new stuff.

I've thought about getting a part time job there since I'm a full time student now and have some extra time on my hands. I would learn a lot and it would be my first real exposure to retail. I'm not sure if the bennies are worth it. I'll have to find out what the perks are for working for Apple and make my choice.

Well there you have it, Apple's retail arm is a little longer now (well three weeks or so). All those near Tidewater rejoice!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
neiltc13

2006-09-02, 19:06

You're lucky to have an Apple store so close already (Richmond). My nearest one is in a totally different country, England.

I don't really see why people obsess over these anyway, I think there are some people on here who visit them more frequently than they do the supermarket.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-09-03, 02:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
... totally different country, England.
Yeah, those border controls and ridiculous visa requirements make it such a hassle to nip over the border

I've been to the closest Apple store to Scotland (Trafford Centre, Manchester) and it's nothing to write home about to be honest. I've been in bathrooms that are bigger.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-09-03, 15:33

Well, I certainly won't live there, but it really makes buying and support much easier when one it close. Plus, now I can send Mac converts to the store to get at least "good" info from the sales force rather than CompUSA's version.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
daftgem

2006-09-03, 21:53

It's about time. As an undergrad Mac user at ODU its much more convenient than short pump.

I had to pass on an interview in late July for the location. I submitted my resume back in February, and was contacted. Unfortunatly I was tied up in Falls Church and couldn't make it.
MSFT

2006-09-03, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
I don't really see why people obsess over these anyway, I think there are some people on here who visit them more frequently than they do the supermarket.
Aye, that would be me. But only because I know a few people there.

The stores in NY took more than 2 weeks. I remember waiting a few months for at least 2 to open.