User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
twr314

2007-01-11, 15:58

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, in fact, I am looking forward to purchasing my first IMAC. This is where I have my question. Do you think I should wait till leopard is released before I purchase the computer?
Wraven

2007-01-11, 16:00

twr314,

Welcome to AppleNova. That is a tough question, but here is the easy answer:

"If you need it now, but it. If you don't, wait."

Leopard, of course, will run just fine on current hardware, so don't let that be the hold-up for your purchase. Now, whether or not the iMac (note the spelling - some on this board will thrash you for typing IMAC) will be refreshed soon is anyone's guess.

Cheers,
Wraven
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-11, 16:02

Up to you. If you don't, the upgrade price will likely be $129.
twr314

2007-01-11, 16:04

Spelling is noted. I don't need it right now, just excited to pick one up.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-11, 16:05

Well, we don't have a release date for Leopard yet. So you could be waiting several months. (I'm thinking around April/May.)
twr314

2007-01-11, 16:07

If I read correctly, Leopard will be a 64 bit based OS, so I don't want to buy something now, and find out I need to upgrade hardware to operate it. (similar to Vista)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-11, 16:11

If you don't truly need it right now, then wait. I would. I'm sure there will be an update - modest or otherwise - in the next 3-4 months, and it may happen around the very time Leopard is released, so you could get the latest iMac, and Leopard already installed. That would be nice.

But that's all assuming you can go a few more months without. If you can't, then buy right now and enjoy! Only you can make that call...

You get an awesome machine, either way!

According to MacRumors Buyers Guide, the iMac was last updated on September 6, 2006 and is in "mid revision cycle"...127 days into an average 189-day upgrade/revision pattern.

So do the math...another ~60 days (two months) puts it in that "190-day sweet spot" where it could indeed see a revision come March/April.

Then again, it could get updated next Tuesday. You just never really know...
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-11, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twr314 View Post
If I read correctly, Leopard will be a 64 bit based OS, so I don't want to buy something now, and find out I need to upgrade hardware to operate it. (similar to Vista)
Leopard can be 64-bit, but it doesn't require 64-bit hardware. Microsoft releases two different versions of its OS, but Apple just writes code that scales.

New versions of OS X traditionally run better than the previous version did, no matter what hardware you're running. Leopard will run better on nearly any machine than Tiger.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
chucker

2007-01-11, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twr314 View Post
No upgrades needed. The current iMacs already support 64-bit, and Leopard will be completely hybrid. You won't notice the difference at all. 32-bit apps run natively. Nothing for you to worry about.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-01-11, 16:14

Welcome to AN !

You won't need to update your hardware with leopard. The only thing here is the 129$ you save. I heard each version of OSX run better on older hardware. Don't know how much this is true. But in fact, 10.5 should run smoother than 10.4

I know what you're into. I've been waiting for the Mac Pro to be released. The wait was killing me. I've waited like 6 months or so. But it worth it !

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-01-11, 18:23

welcome to AN....