AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone 4 Bumpers, Skins, Cases, and Screen Protectors

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 4 Bumpers, Skins, Cases, and Screen Protectors
Page 1 of 8 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-06-15, 19:11

I thought those Bumpers were $30 for all 6 of them, not for 1! Screw that. That seems like a hose job if I've ever seen one.
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-06-18, 15:56

Any of you getting a case for the phone? I'm really liking Invisible Shield, though I've never gotten one. I think it would've done wonders for my 3G but I'm not a big fan of cases in general. I had an anti-glare film for anti-glare/anti-smudge purposes only, since I new the glass was, for all intents and purposes, scratch-proof. How's the oleo-phobic coating on the 3GS compared to a good anti-glare film?

I always thought I'd get an Invisible Shield for my next iPhone, but now I'm thinking it won't be necessary since we have kryptonite-glass on the front *and* back. The only part that might need protection is the stainless steel (I don't really like the bumpers), but stainless steel is pretty dang hard and it doesn't have a mirror-finish or anything like the iPods do. Hmmmm...

EDIT: Very interesting... Apple doesn't ever really market it as a case or protector, but more to add color and personality. The only indication that it could be interpreted as a case is the first line, "Made of durable rubber...". Well, I guess it's in the "Armbands & Cases" category. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTgxOTQ0ODA

Last edited by remlemasi : 2010-06-18 at 16:14.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-18, 16:12

I plan on going "naked", unless/until I see a need to get something. Hell, I've gone nearly three years with no real, permanent case/sleeve for my current iPhone. It looks so nice without one. And this new one, even more so! And upon viewing a few larger, clear pics of those bumpers, I've decided that those colors - any of them - combined with the white iPhone really veers into Fisher-Price territory, so I'm probably going to be skipping that altogether.

I get enough smarty-pants crap from some people about having an iPhone to begin with...I don't need to be providing any additional ammo for them.

Besides, I'm not sure I could allow myself to cough up $29 for a simple ring of plastic and rubber. $9? Sure. $15? Eh, maybe. Twice that? Um, hell no. It's the iPod Socks of the iPhone world...expensive for what they are, and possessing a bit of a "WTF?!" vibe.
surjones

2010-06-18, 16:17

I really like the Speck black grenade looked rubber case, I mean it's great, I have literally thrown my 3GS across the room to show how protected it is. I am hoping they come out with one for the iphone 4 (of course I got both my 3G and 3GS for free, and actually buying this one, so umm yea probably wont be the tester for the new case LOL )
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-06-18, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjones View Post
I really like the Speck black grenade looked rubber case, I mean it's great, I have literally thrown my 3GS across the room to show how protected it is. I am hoping they come out with one for the iphone 4 (of course I got both my 3G and 3GS for free, and actually buying this one, so umm yea probably wont be the tester for the new case LOL )
But the iPhone 4 is so much more in terms of design and aesthetic appeal... it's almost 1000x levels above the 3G/3GS. Would you still dress it up as a grenade, as sweet as that would be?

EDIT: (I'm looking at the Speck site, which one did you get? PixelSkin or ToughSkin? I'm assuming ToughSkin since you threw it across the room but the PixelSkin looks semi-grenade-like too...)
surjones

2010-06-18, 16:36

It was this one - http://www.amazon.com/Speck-PixelSki.../dp/B001FWYXD2 Heck look at that reviews. haha - yea but I dont know - I would hate to just drop it at the right spot and it shatter my iPhone 4 just like I know people who did on their 3GS. lol
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-06-18, 16:43

Check this one out... http://www.speckproducts.com/product...iphone-3gs/141
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-06-18, 16:57

I was hoping they might make a miniature Dodo Case that fits an iPhone - almost exactly the size of a "real" moleskine. That would be cool...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-18, 17:03

I'm sure they will. That would be too much popularity and money to pass up, I believe. They'll gauge demand, of course. Write and suggest/request/plead they do so.

Thinking about all this "Leica" talk of late, I was prowling around online, Googling some stuff, and came across this really gorgeous piece of gear.

And then I got to thinking about how something brown and leather would pair up so nicely with this new iPhone 4...especially if the edges could somehow remain exposed/visible. In other words, like the camera pictured above, have the black (or white) parts of the new iPhone "padded" with a bit of brown leather. Some sort of form-fitting, self-adhesive "shells" that went on (with cut-outs for the display and camera holes, naturally).

Not very protective, I suppose, but quite attractive.

Leica Hermes from link above:

And that general look applied to the iPhone 4 (steel and brown):

Not bad (excuse the crappy pen work on the stitching ). I've talked before about the weathered brown DLO case I had for my 5.5G iPod (slightly distressed, stitching, etc.) and I like that look...leather/khaki stuff with straps, buckles, stitching, etc. Make two slightly-padded "snap-on" plates...kinda the "anti-bumper": leave the stainless steel ring exposed, but cover the front and black glass.

$5 says someone, before the year is out, will put out a case/protector shield along these lines.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-06-18 at 17:58.
surjones

2010-06-23, 15:18

I went to the Apple Store here in the Denver Tech Center, and I guess I was the first person with a iP4 to walk in, since I had about 10 employees swarming me to see, touch and play with it.

I went in the store to see if they had any cases, or screen protectors and they said that they did not.

I am open to options, so what will you be getting, and why?

Last edited by surjones : 2010-06-23 at 16:23.
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-06-23, 15:21

I wasn't going to use anything, but I'll probably go with a ZAGG Invisible Shield...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-23, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjones View Post
I went to the Apple Store here in the Denver Tech Center, and I guess I was the first person with a iP4 to walk in, since I have about 10 employees swarming me to see, touch and play with it.
That's just awesome. Having an Apple product before the people at the Apple Store!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-23, 16:55

I think all this scratch business is b.s. Until I see a video of someone actually scratching it, I don't believe it.

You can take any cheap drinking glass from Target and try to scratch it, without success. I've tried keying a glass using a lot of force and wasn't able to scratch it. I don't think you can scratch glass unless you use a special tool.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-23, 17:17

These reviewers were dropping it on tile from 2-3 feet, and throwing it against a wall (seriously, that's what I read in one of them...Engadget, maybe?). So, yeah...if you're acting like a goofball jackass with one, you probably could do a little damage. But most of us down't walk around, dropping our new $300 phones onto concrete from waist-high. Sliding it onto your coffee table from half-and-inch probably isn't going to do anything.

I wish these things would state what was actually done to cause the scratch, because if they leave that part out, it kinda plants the idea in everyone's head that these are fragile, easily-scratched devices.

If they are, fine. But I don't think they are, and I believe it took some effort. And that should be disclosed.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-23, 17:47

Maybe they carry around carbide-tipped drill bits or emeralds in their pockets. You know, for sh*ts and giggles.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2010-06-24, 01:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Maybe they carry around carbide-tipped drill bits or emeralds in their pockets. You know, for sh*ts and giggles.
I know I do.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-06-24, 02:32

Until Apple manufacture things out of blocks of solid cut diamond they'll keep on bitching!
surjones

2010-06-24, 09:11

I am still using my Speck PixelSkin (from my 3GS) it fits good - little lose on the back, but it's perfect till I find the next "perfect" case for my iP4 -
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-06-24, 09:20

I have put on an Invisible shield back and front. Not sure if it really needs it but i have had one on all my phones therefore i am used to the feel of them (which doesn't bother me) and it does stop those little marks you pick up here and there.

I might invest in a bumper just to see what they are like.

Update: I now haveba bumper as well and honestly I think the invisible shield/bumper combo is awesome. The bumper wraps around the edges of the invisible shield stopping it from peeling off and also lifts the glass off the surface it is laying on.

By the way, the bumpers aren't just buts of rubber. They are hard plastic with rubber edges and have the volume/lock buttons built into them. Now I see why they are £25

Last edited by nikstar101 : 2010-06-24 at 17:17.
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-06-25, 00:51

The only things we really need to worry about are man-made stone blocks (the rough ones, like on retaining walls, you know....) and diamond rings.

Anyone know how hard concrete is (relative to glass... sapphire... diamonds)?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2010-06-25, 07:31

Paul, iLounge has a first look at the bumpers, with pics (black ones):

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...hone-4-bumper/
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2010-06-25, 07:39

More bumpers pic (blue)
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-06-25, 07:42

This one looks interesting....

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-25, 07:58

So yeah, more traffic cone, less jelly bean. They don't seem to add too much bulk, but I think its more than I'm willing to put up with. I already dropped my iPhone 4. Right as I opened the box, it just fell out of the box and face planted. Granted it was on the hardwood floor of the Apple store, but nothing happened. I'm not too concerned.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-25, 08:01

No, you want the bean.

BTW, Speck has their iPhone 4 cases up. I have to say...those are some ugly, unforgivable designs and colors.

Holy crap. How can a company that makes such neat iPod and iPad sleeves and cases turn around and make such horrendous iPhone 4 stuff? You couldn't pay me to have any of those.

WTF is it with all these companies - not just Speck - picking the lousiest, most gaudy colors to pair with such a classy, stylish phone? It's like Fisher-Price vomited all over a box of crayons.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-25, 08:22

So is Apple going to have a monopoly on "bumpers?" Can someone patent a design that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
No, you want the bean.
I'd like the bumper to be a little translucent, so more jelly beanish (at least I think that's what you mean by jelly bean). Right now it looks more solid hard plastic to me (and that's just based on my viewing of the pictures, it might be soft for all I know, it just looks like hard plastic).

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-25, 08:44

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'd like a little more translucent gloss (like an old jellybean iMac DV). That always looks nicer than just plain, opaque plastic/rubber.

The AT&T-branded cases I saw at the store yesterday seemed to have a "bumper" design about them (but they also had a front and back panel. I don't want anything like that because as warm as these things can get (I know my iPhone gets warm if I'm really using it for a while), I'd like it to not sit there, all trapped in its own "heat" or whatever. Seems like you'd want them to be open and breathe/cool down. I've always felt weird about enclosing my iPods or iPhone into snug, allover case.

And I won't lie...I want that nice body and Apple logo visible to others. Shallow, I know...

So I kinda like the "bumper" approach (protect the edges, leave the front and back open). I'm sure others will take the idea and expand on it.

BTW, some iPhone 4 Bumper clips (unboxing, installation, etc.) at YouTube. Even better than photos, because you can tell a lot more about their feel and overall look.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-25, 09:04

The bumper seems somewhat thick. Having built in buttons for the volume and the lock switch says it all... too bulky for me, I'm staying away for now. I don't think I could stomach the $30 for a little piece of plastic anyway... unless the reception issues really become a problem for me.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-25, 12:58

Yesterday, my local Apple store was the least crowded I've ever seen it. Everything was well controlled, but the employees were also letting in customers that wanted to look at other things. It was probably pretty difficult to get any service, but there were several floating employees available from time to time.

Does anyone know if the bumper interferes with the noise cancelling microphone on the top of the iPhone?

nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-06-25, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post

Does anyone know if the bumper interferes with the noise cancelling microphone on the top of the iPhone?
Well there is a little hole in the top of the bumper where the second mic is. So hopefully it shouldn't mess it up too badly.