AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

iPhone stand that is MagSafe

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone stand that is MagSafe
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-09-08, 14:27

I'm looking for an iPhone stand for my desk to replace my trusty ElevationDock that is MagSafe so I can put my phone in landscape and take advantage of MagSafe charging. Being able to change the angle of the phone display would be awesome too, though not critical. It would be nice though if I use the phone as my webcam using their magic.

Anyone have one they love? How about can at least recommend?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-09-08, 20:25

Belkin BOOST↑CHARGE PRO 3-in-1 Wireless Charging Stand with MagSafe

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/HQ3F2ZM/A
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-09-08, 20:26

I have had that for a few years and it’s great. Pricy tho.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-09-08, 21:03

I'm more looking for one that it just the phone and allows it to sit landscape though. While the phone might be able to sit that way, it is more than I'm looking for really. I just want the phone for me desk.

That is something to consider for my nightstand though. I have a Monoprice Qi charger on it now and it works, as long as I don't bump the phone while I'm sleeping.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-09-08, 23:39

I have a great solution that I designed myself.

Buy one of those really nice office style sand-weighted tape dispensers.

Hang your watch by the band over the lip of the part with the sawtooth tape-cutting edge.

Loop your watch charger thingy in and let it snap into place.

NOW.

I realize that this is nothing like what you requested, but I was so excited to have a place to share my solution that I figured it was now or never.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-09-24, 19:08

BTW, I ended up ordering this one. It didn't come with a power adapter so I got this one, and does my AirPods too.

Last edited by turtle : 2023-09-24 at 19:28.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-09-24, 19:35

Anker makes a pretty keen MagSafe mobile charger that lets you watch in landscape mode on the go -- the Anker 622.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-09-25, 08:30

Thanks for that link. Mrs T might actually need that one day. We had a MagSafe pack once, but it was cheap amazon crap and died within months. Thankfully the seller gave us a full refund. Sadly that was at the preorder price and didn't cover a new replacement.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-09-25, 08:55

TwelveSouth makes a nice MagSafe nightstand that's pretty cheap. I want to say it's sub $50. It's the one Apple used in their ads with the iPhone.

https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/forte-for-iphone

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-09-25, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
TwelveSouth makes a nice MagSafe nightstand that's pretty cheap. I want to say it's sub $50. It's the one Apple used in their ads with the iPhone.

https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/forte-for-iphone
Had that been posted before I bought the Anker one I would have bought it. In the end, I'm better off the with Anker one since it came with the charging coils built in and dedicate AirPods spot.

The melancholy in me wishes the well for the AirPods was a little deeper so they would sit "perfectly" when on the pad though.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-09-25, 09:44

Hmmmmmm, but that comes without a data connection, right?

Like, if I want the iPhone to show up as a device on the Mac (mostly because Xcode never seems to remember that I want to connect wirelessly), I'd still need a wire. What happens if I use a MagSafe thing to charge the thing and hold it in place, then optionally attach a USB-C cord? Then later decide to remove it? Does that seamlessly work?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-09-25, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Hmmmmmm, but that comes without a data connection, right?

Like, if I want the iPhone to show up as a device on the Mac (mostly because Xcode never seems to remember that I want to connect wirelessly), I'd still need a wire. What happens if I use a MagSafe thing to charge the thing and hold it in place, then optionally attach a USB-C cord? Then later decide to remove it? Does that seamlessly work?
Right, no data with MagSafe, just charging and it would keep charging no matter what. So the ability to wire connect would be depended on the cable being data capable, but you know that (I'm saying for others who might not think about it). So the stands could hold your phone and the wire connection happen when you want it to. I personally haven't tried it because I'm not using connections like that. The only reason I used to wire connect to my Mac was because the dock got its power from that USB hub. Really, it is just for charging.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-09-25, 10:14

I keep looking for something like this, but the prices just seem so wildly out of proportion to what I personally think they would be.

I don't understand how some of these stands charge $100 and they don't even supply the actual MagSafe charger. Just bonkers to me.

But, right now I have a MagSafe charger and a watch charger just strewn about on the desk, so that's not great.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-09-25, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I keep looking for something like this, but the prices just seem so wildly out of proportion to what I personally think they would be.

I don't understand how some of these stands charge $100 and they don't even supply the actual MagSafe charger. Just bonkers to me.

But, right now I have a MagSafe charger and a watch charger just strewn about on the desk, so that's not great.
This is my big beef actually. This is why I ended up going with the Anker, it just needed a power adapter. Plus, this one can be turned around so it can be my webcam too. I'm sure I'll be unplugging it to turn it around for that.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-09-25, 15:01

It’s why I’ve steered away from any of the wireless chargers, besides the waste of electricity. They all seem like a total rip off.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-09-25, 15:31

I really like MagSafe overall and have a few of them around the house and in my travel bag, but the stands that incorporate MagSafe just don't seem to be worth the cost.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-09-26, 19:25

I have that Belkin 3-1 on my desk, and love almost everything about it.

The only thing I don't like?

The phone and watch *ARE AT DIFFERENT ANGLES*. Unadjustable.

What kind of *monster*...

Seriously though, I do like it quite a bit. StandBy mode just made it that much nicer. My wife has a similar one at the bed, and likes it in theory, but the magnet isn't quite strong enough for her Otterbox case. It will stay, but if you so much as lightly tap it, it falls off. Yes, a different case would fix that, but she likes the Otterbox.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-09-26, 21:47

I updated to iOS 17 today and was excited by the clock & calendar landscape mode thing. Now *I* need a stand for *my* phone so that I can see this all the time! Hilarious how easily seduced we are by novelty

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-09-27, 07:57

The 3-1 makes sense why you can't adjust the Watch at least. The magnets are strong, but only so strong with the bands on the Watch. The phone portion though... it would be able to pivot as many other models attest to.

I also ordered this Otterbox (v1) stand but it hasn't shipped yet. It comes with everything and was on sale for ~$17 when I ordered it.

In case you can't tell, I avoid the MFi/Apple tax on these things. It is just absurd they charge so much to juice up your phone. More so now that they took the charger out of the box and charged us the same price for that device.