User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple app advertisements

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple app advertisements
Anonymous Coward

2022-08-14, 23:26

I made one of my infrequent visits to Slashdot today, and saw a thread on Apple in-app advertisements being its next big business move. The source article at Bloomberg, which I linked, is labelled a "Technology" article, but it seems to me to be more opinion or speculation. Regardless, it seems to be taken as fact or certainty, and I would expect more articles criticizing or attacking Apple.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-15, 08:55

I just saw an article talking about ads in the Stocks app even for subscribers. I understand it is hard for a company to "leave money on the table" but this is jut not cool IMO. I really hope my pi-hole will keep my feeds clear as they have been.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-08-15, 14:51

As if we don’t get bombed with enough ads. Will Apple turn its own apps into something like the annoying third party apps that constantly interrupt what you are doing with ads. Yuk
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-15, 15:05

Yeah, I'm not a fan. But, I don't use Apple News or Stocks in any meaningful way that adds would interrupt. Maps, however, would annoy the hell out of me. If Apple makes apps like that, or Notes, or Reminders, into add nests then I might have to find alternatives.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-17, 08:07

Macworld
Quote:
Apple has recently begun running display ads in its News and Stocks apps, and it doesn’t matter if you subscribe to News+ or not. We still saw ads in the Stocks app’s news feed even if though it’s marked with the same “Subscriber Edition” label that appears in News. Apple is using its own advertising platform to deliver the ads, which are obvious but not terribly intrusive and marked with a small “Ad” in the lower right corner. We received ads for Motley Fool and Brilliant Earth jewelry while writing this article.

According to Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman, advertising VP Todd Teresi is now reporting directly to Apple services head Eddie Cue with a mission to increase Apple’s annual advertising revenue from $4 billion to more than $10 billion. However, Gurman doesn’t think Apple will tread into the territory of the failed iAd system that served up ads for third-party apps in other iOS apps.
The fact that the ads show in the subscriber versions is most annoying to me. I'm willing to pay the fee in "free" apps to have the ads removed most of the time.

The one perk, Apple "cares about our privacy" and isn't tracking us with the ads.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-17, 10:52

I cannot think of any of Apple's streaming services that are worth subscribing to. And then if I had to tolerate ads I would just be double-miserable.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Anonymous Coward

2022-08-18, 21:55

Would someone tell me what I am missing? I don't use the News or Stocks apps on the iPhone, but I was curious to see those mentioned in the Macworld link, opened them up (neither with any subscription), and didn't see anything I could identify as a third party advertisement, and nothing with "Ad" in the bottom right corner. If it makes any difference, I used both a phone I have without a SIM and one connected to AT&T cellular. I opened a few articles, and the only ad I saw was for an Apple News+ subscription.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-08-18, 22:47

I don't think the ads are there yet, might be coming with iOS16?
Anonymous Coward

2022-08-19, 11:44

Thanks for the reply, but I opened the Macworld source article, and it says the ads are supposed to be here now (as of 16 August) on News, Stocks, and the App Store. I'm on iOS 15.6.1. I did notice that the picture in the article is a MacOS screen, so I may eventually try downloading the apps I never use just too see for myself. I did open the App Store briefly to see, but did not see any ads, either in the Mac App store or the "Today" tab of the iOS store, as stated in the article. I admit I haven't tried every category because I'm on satellite internet and things take a long time to load.

Edit: I'm now in a place with faster internet access. I see that the News.app and Stocks.app are preloaded in MacOS X and don't have to be downloaded, and I've seen third-party advertisements in both those apps, but not in the App Store.app. I still have not seen third-party advertisements in iOS apps.

So, from my point of view, the Macworld article has some basis in fact and speculates about the future based on Apple personnel moves, but at the same time, asserts that some of that speculation is true today.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward : 2022-08-19 at 22:32.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-08-20, 07:45

Opened the news app on my phone, latest 15.6.1, first time in 3-4 years, indeed there are ads between stories.
Anonymous Coward

2022-08-20, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Opened the news app on my phone, latest 15.6.1, first time in 3-4 years, indeed there are ads between stories.
Strange. After reading this, I opened News again and scrolled all the way to the bottom and still no ads. My current location definitely does not have an ad blocker. I toggled each of the News settings, and nothing I did triggered the ads.

iPhone 7
Network AT&T
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-08-20, 19:46

Maybe it's a phased introduction? No idea.
Anonymous Coward

2022-08-22, 19:16

Still not getting ads (third party ads with "ad" in the bottom right corner), although articles from various sources are there promoting items.

But, not being a News or Stocks viewer, I did more research, and supposedly, ads have been in News.app from the start, since at least 2019.

Again, not at a location with an ad blocker, but anecdotally, a Pi-Hole is supposed to prevent the ads from showing up.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-08-22, 21:00

Pi-Hole user here. I disabled blocking and downloaded Apple News after having deleted it many moon ago; so, mine should be a pretty clean test. I scrolled the main feed for a very long long time. There were plenty of stupid headlines, but as far as I can tell, there were no ads. If there were, they did a damn good job of looking like legit articles.

So, there's another anecdote to support the idea that this is a phased rollout.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.