Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Holy (Crap), Nomar is a Cub.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Holy (Crap), Nomar is a Cub.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-31, 17:21

Man, the Cubbies are actually starting to spend money on a well-balanced team these last couple years. I wonder if hell is freezing over. Maybe Dollar Bill Wirtz will be next, spending money on the Hawks and televising home games on TV.... NAHHH! Some things are unlikely, others are just impossible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/31/sp...REDSOX.html?hp

...into the light of a dark black night.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-31, 17:40

NOMAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

just had to...

now it makes me sad because it reminds me that Jimmy Fallon is one of the only good cast members still on SNL...

But that is kinda cool, even though I'm not a Cubs fan it seems as if they've been doing much better in recent years and might actually have a shot at the World Series... if they work at it, that is. That's kinda the story of my state's Twins actually. They sucked in the early-mid 90s, but now they've really been coming back strong. #1 in the AL Central baby!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-31, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
NOMAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

just had to...

now it makes me sad because it reminds me that Jimmy Fallon is one of the only good cast members still on SNL...
Dunno about that. SNL has been bombing on a yearly basis since the days when Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman and John Levitz left. The writing was even just so-so back then, but the talent of the performers made up for it. No offense, but SNL has been average to awful ever since then. There was a stint when Chris Farley and David Spade made some great episodes but otherwise, sulfur city.

SNL hasn't been fall-out-of-your chair funny since the days of Akroyd, Murphy and Co. That's when the combination of writing and talent was so good that no one would miss it, even if the host sucked. Sad but true... ANYWAY, back to baseball.

Quote:
But that is kinda cool, even though I'm not a Cubs fan it seems as if they've been doing much better in recent years and might actually have a shot at the World Series... if they work at it, that is. That's kinda the story of my state's Twins actually. They sucked in the early-mid 90s, but now they've really been coming back strong. #1 in the AL Central baby!
That's because the White Sox are so good at choking.

Seriously though it is pretty cool. I'm not a Cubs fan either (not a fan of either team really, but I cheer for the Cubs when they play each other because a) the south siders I've met are loon-jobs; b) Wrigley Field is the greatest venue in sports and c) New Comiskey is the biggest POS venue in sports.

...into the light of a dark black night.
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-07-31, 18:16

one cursed team to another.

Now the red sox will fall further behind the yankees.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-31, 18:18

Yah I thought about that. Although they exploded the bad luck baseball and now acquired an all-star calibre player from Boston. The curse could well be reversed!

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-31, 19:25

Y'all shoulda seen me when I found out about this. I was at a swim meet this afternoon and one of my buddies who is a coach for the other team came running up to me screaming about something. After he calmed down and told me I jumped up and down for about 10 minutes yelling who knows what and grinning from ear to ear.

The left side of that Cubbie infield rivals the Yanks now. Ramirez at third and Nomar at short. Both .300+ hitters and some amazing gloves.

I know the Cubbies winning the NL Central this year probably won't happen with the high flying Cards still the best in baseball, but they're only a half game out of the wildcard now.

And don't forget, the last two teams to win the World Series got into the post-season by the wildcard. I'm still calling for the Cubs to win it all

How ironic would it be for them to meet the Red Sox in the Series, and than win in a large part because of the presence of Nomar?

Should be an interesting last few months of baseball here. I'm excited, and as always: GO CUBBIES!!!

Come waste your time with me
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-31, 20:43

Go Cubs!! Only 11 games back!!
I supposed they'll be scrapping with the Giants, and Padres (and Dodgers) for the wild card...surprising since the NL West was cast aside as one of the weakest divisions by all the experts.

Last edited by Eugene : 2004-07-31 at 21:00.
SledgeHammer

2004-07-31, 21:17

I was surprised to find out about the trade. That said, Jimmy Fallon isn't on SNL anymore. This past was his last season. And I mostly agree witht the other comments about SNL. That's all.