AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 45 of 49 First Previous 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49  Next Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-05, 12:21

Not directly. Its going to be an amalgam of a few places. If I'm honest, I've designed this one from the inside outwards. Still need to think about the exterior some more.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-05, 12:28

Everyone should build as much in Bridgeport as possible! Build whatever you want and I'll take care of the pathing logistics. But I will say that the closer buildings are together, the cooler the alleyways between them will be. I also think that every player should build at least one structure in Bridgeport so it's a cool mix of all our different styles in one place.

I think the bigger and more city-like we make Bridgeport, the cooler it will be. We should just keep expanding and expanding (both outwards and upwards) until it's a bustling metropolis

If nobody objects, as part of my public beautification project, I was going to build a teeny little park in the center of Bridgeport where all the paths will meet. (I'll save iJaks wooden tombstone, of course.) Speaking of paths, should we perhaps hold a vote for the material? In the new town hall? I'd like to get started on them today or tomorrow.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-05, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Still a slot between the Money Bin and Brad's new castle (name?) or between the pub and the bong. Or next to the theatre on the Sandy area.

I need to build a temporary treefarm somewhere for construction materials for the theatre, but I'll wait until you pick a spot.
Just use the tree farm under my old trap, and do replant...

Be warned, the trees are murderous.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-05, 12:35

Quote:
Still a slot between the Money Bin and Brad's new castle (name?)
I recently tore down the vestigial structure in that area that was left by the original monorail track. I do have a plan for something to build in that area between the bin and mansion, but I won't be able to work on it for a good while.

Quote:
or between the pub and the bong.
Sounds like a great area for a project.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-05, 12:57

OK, um. Can I make a n00bish request? Could people label their buildings with a signpost above the door, at least for a little while? Some of the buildings are labeled but some of them aren't, and it would really help me get my bearings in Bridgeport and know what buildings Bryson is talking about, what slots are free, &c. I just really don't want to step on anybody's toes.

If nobody wants to, that's okay. It'll just take me longer to learn my way around.

I'm with Kraetos — making Bridgeport into a really big city sounds fun.

Stupid question: I know wool is flammable. Does that mean I shouldn't use it as a building material? I like the colors...

Also, I have a diamond pick. I have no idea how I got a diamond pick? If it's someone's diamond pick, I'll give it back. I didn't mean to take it. I was still sort of learning how to play last time.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-05, 14:16

arteggio:

I modified the wall towards the surface entrance to the passive trap after a creeper blew up part of it, and I was attacked by a spider. I actually don't think that a wall that isn't spider proofed on the town's side plus a trench does anything to prevent them from jumping across the chasm. In fact, I am absolutely sure it doesn't since spiders can grab walls while falling without taking injury. So please adjust your designs accordingly -- adding a lip onto the wall is sufficient. Also, please light up the top of the wall, as mobs can spawn there.

Note that your access to the surface entrance has been blocked. Feel free to add a door but do not change the 'normal' state of it being closed off since mobs were gathering at the entrance and beyond while I was working on 'my' side of the fence. In addition, I will be adding spider proofing to the edges of the trap on that side since there is absolutely nothing to prevent spiders finding their way into the trap and causing problems for archers working in the middle.

All of this said, it would be less work to just light up your town so hostile mobs don't spawn, but while it's your choice to put your structures and avatar's health at risk, just be sure no one else's are at risk by your interesting design approaches.

To the general audience: Should our standard be that new construction is lit up or designed to prevent mob spill over to existing structures/safe areas? I would have thought this was obvious, but who knows?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-05, 14:23

I like the clock tower idea. Even better if you make it actually tell time. You, build the logic circuit so it advances...not necessarily with real or game time though. Would be sweet if you did though.

Bryson was the first to use my auto armor dispenser and I did build it with others in mind. Every player is welcome to trek out to my place and grab a free set of armor out of the dispenser. Only take what you need to wear at the time of collection. Don't load up and empty the thing. I figure if you're willing to come out to my place you should be able to get a new set of armor. It's in the Hard Shell Armory.

At Bryson's suggestion I'm likely to build in an old armor recycling system in the near future too. This way you can safely and MineCraft friendly dispose of your old rags.

Next up is a tool shed that will dispense tools.

With the idea of building up Bridgeport I'm getting an idea for building up near my underground entrance and Stairs of Insanity. I'm going to get with Mrs T and see what we can come up with of building ideas that would work and support the city.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 14:32

OK, after poking around for a bit I don't know if that area is going to work. So instead of building here:

I'd like to build here:

Brad, that's not too close to you is it? Anyone else have plans for that area? The outlined footprint is the max building size, though I'll probably do some landscaping around it (while being mindful of Heart Lake). Any objections to that site instead?

So it goes.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-05, 14:36

Also, as a note to all users I am almost done getting all my data off of the server. I have work and class all day for the next two days. This means that Friday is the earliest I'll be able to make the OS upgrade. Once this is done all will be better for the game server.

However, there will be a bit of downtime as I swap drives and do the install etc. Plan for Friday to be a MC free day since it is an off day from work for me (actually I'll be unemployed on Friday). So I will have all day to work on it. But given the cloning and hardware change it will take some time.

Add to that that I'm going to be coordinating with Brad to get the MC server up and running.

In short, be patient and know that there is planned down time.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-05, 14:45

@709:

What about between the pub and the bong? Plenty of space there. Very easy skyway access. Great coastal views.

arteggio

2011-04-05, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
OK, um. Can I make a n00bish request? Could people label their buildings with a signpost above the door, at least for a little while? Some of the buildings are labeled but some of them aren't, and it would really help me get my bearings in Bridgeport and know what buildings Bryson is talking about, what slots are free, &c. I just really don't want to step on anybody's toes.
In the beginning, when Bridgeport and the world were relatively small, Brad and a few others did a map with everyone's places labelled. It would be quite an undertaking today but maybe a recent one is in order?

Quote:
Stupid question: I know wool is flammable. Does that mean I shouldn't use it as a building material? I like the colors...
I would say it's safe as a building material, relative to the caution that seems to be taken when fire is used. Besides the one-off Great Forest Fire near the spawn point, I don't think anything's really happened (or else I'm sure it would travel along the wood skyway and end up burning the whole world!). I'm considering building a wool cottage in Bridgeport if I can find a lot of land.

@billybobsky:

Sorry for the baddie distress my in-progress construction has caused. I will be lighting up the top of the wall, once I can figure out how tall I want it (I had originally planned going up to that wood rail; hm). I'm about to get on now and I'll put up temporary lighting, on the wall and around the Dense Forest.

When I was plotting out the land I tried lighting the whole lot up, like you did in such a lovely OCD manner with your fields, but I never really finished with the corners. The great wall should keep things from escaping, once spider proofed. I've also slowly been getting to the treetops at the heart of my town, but is the dark forest a threat to the trap stillor has that been neutered by your spider proofing and creeper blocking?

I haven't done much spider proofing to my constructions, so does the side of the lip matter? Once a spider gets to the top, it could jump across my moat and onto land? I'll just assume so for now and lip the town-side of the wall. (Note: I'm also going to be working on the ground-level, outside-wall lip of the moat 3 or so blocks in. Will that cause any problems to the land you're working on, on your side of the wall?)

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-05, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
In the beginning, when Bridgeport and the world were relatively small, Brad and a few others did a map with everyone's places labelled. It would be quite an undertaking today but maybe a recent one is in order?

I would say it's safe as a building material, relative to the caution that seems to be taken when fire is used. Besides the one-off Great Forest Fire near the spawn point, I don't think anything's really happened (or else I'm sure it would travel along the wood skyway and end up burning the whole world!). I'm considering building a wool cottage in Bridgeport if I can find a lot of land.

@billybobsky:

Sorry for the baddie distress my in-progress construction has caused. I will be lighting up the top of the wall, once I can figure out how tall I want it (I had originally planned going up to that wood rail; hm). I'm about to get on now and I'll put up temporary lighting, on the wall and around the Dense Forest.

When I was plotting out the land I tried lighting the whole lot up, like you did in such a lovely OCD manner with your fields, but I never really finished with the corners. The great wall should keep things from escaping, once spider proofed. I've also slowly been getting to the treetops at the heart of my town, but is the dark forest a threat to the trap stillor has that been neutered by your spider proofing and creeper blocking?

I haven't done much spider proofing to my constructions, so does the side of the lip matter? Once a spider gets to the top, it could jump across my moat and onto land? I'll just assume so for now and lip the town-side of the wall. (Note: I'm also going to be working on the ground-level, outside-wall lip of the moat 3 or so blocks in. Will that cause any problems to the land you're working on, on your side of the wall?)
Arteggio:

lip should be town side... going up to the rail may still be ok -- I chopped off at the level it was currently at... One good things about the lip is it provides a walkspace for you on top of the wall if you want to do a castle effect.

As for digging into the area beyond, that should be fine -- most of my concern is a combination of work friendliness and whether the area will be tossing enough hostiles off to affect the passive trap/area under the ranch. Given due diligence it should be ok.

I was actually thinking that a great wall of lava might be nice somewhere, but haven't decided how to integrate that into any building plan I have currently.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-05, 15:31

Quote:
Also, I have a diamond pick. I have no idea how I got a diamond pick? If it's someone's diamond pick, I'll give it back. I didn't mean to take it. I was still sort of learning how to play last time.
I gave it to you! It was a gift. Welcome to Applenovaland!

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
@709:

What about between the pub and the bong? Plenty of space there. Very easy skyway access. Great coastal views.
I looked at that area, and while it's a great location I need something relatively close to sea level. I'd have to take down the hill, and it has such a nice view from up there I thought it'd be better utilized by something/someone else.

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-05, 15:47

Quote:
I'll post an updated map of town with labels later tonight. Hopefully that'll help.

Quote:
Stupid question: I know wool is flammable. Does that mean I shouldn't use it as a building material? I like the colors…
Wool is an awesome building material. I "wallpapered" the interior of my mansion with wool blocks. You only have to worry about fire if you have a pyromaniac on the loose with a lighter or you plan to set some lava nearby. Fires don't start spontaneously, nor do explosions cause fire.

Quote:
I probably tossed it to you the first night you were on. Keep it.

edit: or Bryson. I toss out so many diamond tools, I can't remember what I gave to whom. I JUST MAKE IT RAIN!!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-05, 15:52

Quote:
I gave it to you! It was a gift. Welcome to Applenovaland!
Aww, thanks. You are all very generous. I will be sure to use it well (now that I know I can actually, y'know, use it).

I built a small fort on top of the hill that the skyway rests on between the UFO and the hockey rink. I'd really like to build a stone tower on top of the taller mountain on the other side of the skyway there, but that will take some more planning. And some more stone. Thankfully I have this...diamond pick.

I made my first ever bow. After hours of offline Minecrafting I had all of two string.

But I still ran away from a creeper like a little girl.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-05, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Wool is an awesome building material. I "wallpapered" the interior of my mansion with wool blocks. You only have to worry about fire if you have a pyromaniac on the loose with a lighter or you plan to set some lava nearby. Fires don't start spontaneously, nor do explosions cause fire.
I know what I'm going to make in Bridgeport, then.

But I'm going to need a lot of wool. And a lot of dye. But there's some flowers near my fort, so...that's a start.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-05, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Is there a hosket rink yet?
How well he knows some of us. The hosket rink is about 2/3 complete. If you want a tour just ask when I'm on.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-05, 16:07

The scale and mechanics of the large traps is so massive that it's hard to understand how the critters are being processed. I wonder if its possible to incorporate all the principles displayed in that factory into a smaller outpost structure to make it super-safe? I guess this is what you've all done, ultimately?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

arteggio

2011-04-05, 16:12

I took a look at the hosket rink. Pretty cool, all lit up in the dark. But the blind run in the night from your skyway tower to the rink, with its concealed-ish doors, was not so cool.

As for my wall, I have decided that I will be making it castle-like with a deck on the inside. I didn't lock down the passive trap / staircase corner because I'm still waiting for that staircase and the chest area to be demolished before I finalize it.

Post room: what about the basement? Or are you keeping your herb farm, Brad?

Bonn89

2011-04-05, 16:58

So, I finished tearing my house in Bridgeport down, and I have a rough idea of how I want the new and improved "Bonn Manor 2.0" to look. Right now I basically have a floor (kind of), and about half the front wall done, but what's there is by no means final. Actually, I'm almost 100% certain the window design is going to change..

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
[double edit] I'm just gonna build it behind the Tavern, since I know its free and not in the way, but still near the skyway.
You're not going to tear down the amphitheater, are you? Because that's hella cool.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-05, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
You're not going to tear down the amphitheater, are you? Because that's hella cool.
No no, it's going to be on the lower ground. Near where the theater is under construction. I love the amphitheater!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-05, 17:45

Quote:
Well, I don't think we need a monster PO either - especially with land in Bridgeport at prime right now with new players - but far be it from me to call that one.

So, no objections to my land grab? Imma start building the footings if nobody pipes up here soon.
Can you wait unil I get to look at it? Remember that some of us have day jobs. I may be able to check on the forums on breaks, but that's about it.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-05, 18:13

Quote:
Same goes for my old White House.
That's was a small project?

I was trying to find my way into the passive mob trap and I think I ended up in what seems to be an office tower in a little town. Or maybe it was a prison. Same thing, really.

I'm going to need a lot of space for my project. Like, at least 24x24, and probably 32x32. But I'm guessing there isn't that kind of area anywhere near town.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-05, 18:26

I need to scope around for an open lot in Bridgeport. Maybe I'll build a gay bar. LOL! I'd like to put something there, at least. Once we get clearance to do some exploring permanently (which I don't expect anytime soon), I'll be recreating Yost Ice Arena from the University of Michigan campus, as well as a pond hockey rink and a second lodge. Until those points in time, I have Great Bear Lodge and the not-so-secret note block project to finish...wait...IDEA - I need a land grant sometime in the future. Not now, as there's way too much on my plate, but EPIC idea. Keeping it secret.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 19:08

Quote:
Can you wait unil I get to look at it? Remember that some of us have day jobs. I may be able to check on the forums on breaks, but that's about it.
Hey! I have a day job! Some days. Mostly a night job though.

But of course, sure. I'll hold off on anything else until I hear from you. I've only cleared a few layers and built a central dirt pile.

So it goes.

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 19:13

Quote:

I'd like to build here:

Quote:
I'm going to need a lot of space for my project. Like, at least 24x24, and probably 32x32. But I'm guessing there isn't that kind of area anywhere near town.
The square box in my maps above is 24x24. If Brad gives me the go ahead for the second space I want then I'm sure It'd be fine for you to take the first space next to the theatre.

So it goes.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-05, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I need to scope around for an open lot in Bridgeport. Maybe I'll build a gay bar. LOL!
You should build a leather bar and have chests full of leather armour at the entrance so people can obey the dress code.

With the Post office, dare I make a major suggestion? (Please don't be angry...) But maybe: we could do a combined project where we also move the Exchange to Bridgeport in the same building. Maybe even theme it as a Shopping Mall. I don't think the current exchange gets that much traffic where it is, and it has lots of empty chests right now. I don't know if we need 6 double chests of "ores and rarities" for example...
My thought being, that it would drive traffic through Bridgeport town. Thoughts?

The White House would probably work for both if we put in a second floor. All we need is one double chest and a 3x2x3 room per person. We can always go DOWN, to the bunker.

I'm actually kind of excited about building in Bridgeport again and once more taking up residence at Castle Bryson. I'll probably spruce that up in my spare time, too.

Finally, I'm pleased to report that primary construction on the Library is complete now. I need to do some interior fitout with shelves and furniture, but it's basically done! I'll trash the tree/cactus/sugarcane farms soon and landscape a little around it. (And the bell is far from done, but Iron blocks are expensive!) Go look if you're out by Kitty Hawk sometime.

arteggio

2011-04-05, 20:13

Quote:
I was trying to find my way into the passive mob trap and I think I ended up in what seems to be an office tower in a little town. Or maybe it was a prison. Same thing, really.
Was it in the same area with the tree tower inside the walls? That would've been my town. Not sure what other office-like buildings are nearby. (SpecMode's home, the birthplace of the skyway, maybe?)

I have christened my town the (Kingdomship of) Furronia. It's a nice mediaeval-sounding portmanteau of furrow and the city suffix -onia, which I'm not sure I have ever seen used before but Wikipedia says it exists. Since I'm tired of building useless little template buildings, if any of the open land within the walls/moat interests you you are free to build in there after running it by me. Bridgeport might not tax your property, but I won't either!

So billybobsky: I take it you find my tree tower, so close to the skyranch and your fields, a hideous monstrosity?

Are you planning any constructions in your fields?