MC: Rail Transport
Page 9 of 10 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  Next Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-05-10, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Okay. I'll link the top half to L2. No problems with Apple Store -> Mob Grinder, right? It's all along existing track anyways, and it'll bring the network to the spawn point.
Just to be clear if you don't see my previous post: this is NOT OK, at all.

I think the Purple line should be canceled.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-05-10, 11:45

Don't take this the wrong way, but isn't it ever so slightly ironic for the guy who built a giant floating island in the sky to be complaining about eyesores?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-10, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but isn't it ever so slightly ironic for the guy who built a giant floating island in the sky to be complaining about eyesores?
And insisting that people don't interfere with it?

Oh, the irony isn't lost on me one bit.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-10, 12:08

No, I don't think it is ironic.

The SkyRanch doesn't cover the map, it isn't seen from every vantage point, every walkway. It wasn't purpose built as a community endeavor. It is MY major project, it was intentionally designed to be intimidating (which it has effected quite nicely), and when I started building it, it was very far removed from the center of town.

I don't like the passive aggressiveness I get for having built the skyranch. So honestly, Brad, SpecMode, and all others who have given me shit, fuck off. I am serious, I am this >< close to tnting that entire section of map which of course includes the trap...

Also: Specifically to Brad, you really honestly feel like people should be able to modify other people's work on the map? Really, truly? Because I have some ideas I'd like to work out.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-05-10 at 12:18.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-05-10, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I don't like the passive aggressiveness I get for having built the skyranch. So honestly, Brad, SpecMode, and all others who have given me shit, fuck off. I am serious, I am this >< close to tnting that entire section of map which of course includes the trap...
Your sense of humor obviously seems to have taken the day off. (There's a reason I included the in my post, after all). And no, I will not 'fuck off'; just as you had the right to build that giant floating island, we retain the right to poke fun at you for it. (And I'll be honest here, I don't really mind having the thing around, and the trap is in fact badass, as I'm certain I've mentioned to you before). Take a chill pill, dude, nobody is going to mess with your stuff, and anyone who tries will be dealt with just as harshly as those who mess with anyone else's stuff.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-10, 12:27

Quote:
Just to be clear if you don't see my previous post: this is NOT OK, at all.
Yes, per the bottom of the post with the that map:

Quote:
bbsky, as requested the construction anything under the skyranch is up to you. But I think it should stop at the hostile trap. Doesn't really matter where it comes out.
I put question marks on the map because I knew you wanted to handle the construction. I knew we would need a route the grinder, and I wanted to give it an easy connection to the white line.

If you want to make it underground, that's fine. Just make sure there isn't anything in the way.

But that said, I think we should have a map-wide moratorium on rail construction so we can better evaluate the effects they have on performance and aesthetics. If everyone thinks they're ugly* and if the lag is unbearable for some players, then they may be more trouble than they are worth.

*But am I the only one who thinks they look really cool? Especially the ones at Flaming Mountain.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-10, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Your sense of humor obviously seems to have taken the day off. (There's a reason I included the in my post, after all). And no, I will not 'fuck off'; just as you had the right to build that giant floating island, we retain the right to poke fun at you for it. (And I'll be honest here, I don't really mind having the thing around, and the trap is in fact badass, as I'm certain I've mentioned to you before). Take a chill pill, dude, nobody is going to mess with your stuff, and anyone who tries will be dealt with just as harshly as those who mess with anyone else's stuff.
I've had a bad week.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-10, 12:34

Quote:
I don't like the passive aggressiveness I get for having built the skyranch.
I think I was open about my opposition from the start once you marked off the full perimeter.

Quote:
Also: Specifically to Brad, you really honestly feel like people should be able to modify other people's work on the map? Really, truly? Because I have some ideas I'd like to work out.
I just think the juxtaposition of "I'm gonna quarter off this massive section of the map near spawn but never actually finish building on it!" with "don't build eyesores!" and "don't touch my junk!" is really funny.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-10, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I just think the juxtaposition of "I'm gonna quarter off this massive section of the map near spawn but never actually finish building on it!" with "don't build eyesores!" and "don't touch my junk!" is really funny.
Just because you have the ability to call resources out of thin air and have no need to mine, dig and stockpile to construct your projects, does not mean the rest of us don't actively have to pursue resource collection, in a way that would not leave vast open scars on the landscape. To get the 140K of dirt I needed for the ranch, I could have simply opened a wound somewhere up north and not worried about filling it back in to make it look presentable, or I could have done what I did, which is to carefully level the area under the ranch, keeping it lit, and leaving it presentable and clean. I honestly do not think you have a realistic perception on how much effort it takes to construct things without magic.

Unlike most other players on the map I have focused ALL of my attention to the area around and under the ranch. I helped with the communal passive trap because it was based upon my design, and is in sight of the ranch. I improved the hostile trap, again, because it was my design and I saw a need for enhanced efficiency when in 1.4 mobs weren't dropping as regularly. These actions weren't selfishly focused on finishing the ranch, because that isn't who I am. I like doing things that actively help other users on the map. The mob traps are my best output from that, and I make no apologies for speaking my mind when it comes to aesthetics, both of what I build for myself (hence don't touch my junk) and what others build.

Regardless, if you actually cared to even look at the map, you would have noticed much progress has been made on the ranch. So really, Brad, what is your excuse?
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-05-10, 14:00

Quote:
[...] does not mean the rest of us don't actively have to pursue resource collection, in a way that would not leave vast open scars on the landscape.
Mushroom Mountain Crater, anyone?

(In your favor, I do remember that you had some extensive...help from a certain someone who seems to really like blowing things up/burning things down... )
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-10, 14:04

Robo and I were on the skyway last night, and the rails spawned creepers. Either find a way to keep your work lit, or hold off until you can. This isn't the first time stuff has spawned on the skyway since rail construction started, and the times of which I am aware have all been in different locations.

As for the anger over this...clearly, we all want to do something in regards to the rail system, but we clearly cannot agree, either. We need to leave it alone until we can. The last thing we need is to be at each other's throats and have a meltdown on the server. That, or we can setup grudge matches at the Arena if that would help cool everyone off.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-10, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Robo and I were on the skyway last night, and the rails spawned creepers.

How can this happen? They get the same amount of light that the existing skyways do, and I've never seen mobs up there before.

I'm not doubting you, I'm just confused that it would happen in the first place.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-10, 14:25

uh, there are sections that are not lit well enough -- particularly those marginally lit.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-10, 14:31

Quote:
uh, there are sections that are not lit well enough -- particularly those marginally lit.
But my point is that the new tracks are the same distance from any lighting that the old walkways were, so there shouldn't be dark spots that we didn't already know about.

I'm going in now to check it out...

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-10, 14:31

It was near the Mana Tree and Mob Hill, but I know zombies have spawned overlooking DT Bridgeport and have seen one in the east, too.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-05-10, 14:58

Hrm...I've seen the occasional hostile on the stretch of skyway near the former airship site, but never on the main run between Mob Hill and BP. Next chance I get, I'll get some torches up on the sides along the tracks.

I guess we did kinda go overboard on the whole minecart thing... It went from "these things don't work right and cause so much lag" to "wooo, they finally work, let's build them everywhere!" in the blink of an eye. (And yes, I'm just as guilty as anyone.) Didn't we have a planning commission at some point for things like this?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-10, 16:11

Quote:

How can this happen? They get the same amount of light that the existing skyways do, and I've never seen mobs up there before.

I'm not doubting you, I'm just confused that it would happen in the first place.
I saw it! With my own two eyes!

We were having a JRPG conversation, meaning both a conversation about JRPGs and a conversation of the sort one would find in a JRPG, reminiscing over our quiet seaside Starting Town (for the record, Rowdy was the one who wanted to "see the world" and "have an adventure"). Somewhere between discussing A) the contrast between our experiences with Evangelical Christianity and minority faiths, B) the variety of power dynamics in BDSM relationships and C) gentrification Rowdy was all "OH SHIT" and I was like "yes, that lower-income artists should be priced out of the inner-city neighborhoods they themselves made desirable is alarming!" but it turned out there was a creeper. On the skyway. Rowdy took care of it while I watched, paralyzed with fear, like, well, a girly JRPG character.

Also, turtle probably shouldn't read the chat logs. Actually, Brad probably shouldn't either.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-10, 16:16

psh lower-income artists are not the ones we call hipsters attracting business development. the hipsters are cast offs from the wealthy suburban shitheads who have money to burn on tight jeans and idiotic throwback clothing.

for the record: the 1980s were not a fun time to live.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-10, 16:24

Last night was pretty epic. That conversation was about 4 hours long, maybe more. I'm just glad I looked around, because that creeper was coming for us, otherwise. It would also have blown apart the skyway.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-10, 16:25

Quote:
psh lower-income artists are not the ones we call hipsters attracting business development. the hipsters are cast offs from the wealthy suburban shitheads who have money to burn on tight jeans and idiotic throwback clothing.

for the record: the 1980s were not a fun time to live.
I was kidding. Well, about the gentrification bit.

Trying to, you know, lighten the mood...
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-10, 16:57

Why so unserious, Robo?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-10, 17:20

Quote:
Why so unserious, Robo?
Well, it's Tuesday.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-10, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Well, it's Tuesday.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-05-10, 19:34

Quote:
But that said, I think we should have a map-wide moratorium on rail construction so we can better evaluate the effects they have on performance and aesthetics. If everyone thinks they're ugly* and if the lag is unbearable for some players, then they may be more trouble than they are worth.
Mind if I ask that the moratorium be lifted for the continuation of the blue/green line (currently at G2) to it's northern terminus at the E-W skywalk at G1 per my discretion (certainly not imminent) This branch and this branch alone, no further rail lines please.

The rink is approaching completion and I would like to encourage some visitation via minecart incentive.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-10, 19:53

I heard those two nattering away like old women and heard them shouting about a creeper. I was too busy running in and out from the rain, terrified that a creeper might show up.

I'm headed online now to see if BB is there so I can eff with him about the skyranch

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-10, 21:52

You were on for that, Drew? I thought I remembered you signing off way before, lol.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-10, 23:54

Well maybe it was a skellie on Robo's brick house? I remember a lot of "Oh shit" and running around like crazy posts from you both ;D

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-11, 00:08

The skyway creeper thing was after the server reset, so yeah, drew wasn't on then. I must have been "Oh shit"ing something else.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-11, 02:10

Wait, it was the one in the red brick, LOL!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-11, 02:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Wait, it was the one in the red brick, LOL!
Yeah, when I was all like *terrified horror movie whisper* It's by the stairs when there were three stairs nearby.

Dunce. Cap. Robo.

But that was way earlier. We hadn't even started talking about gentrification or anything!