User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPhone 4-style design making a comeback in the 12 Pro?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 4-style design making a comeback in the 12 Pro?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-04-18, 08:49

Seems like there's an increasing amount of rumors to that effect, and the iPad Pro 2018 design also seemed to hint at it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/17...limmer-design/

I think I've always preferred that boxy design over the iPhone 6/6S/7/8/SE 2020 look, and now the X/XS/11 look.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-18, 09:20

I do too. I really think the iPhone 4/4s/5/5s/SE design was just about perfect. Definitely my favorite era of models, design-wise. Never been a fan of the rounded, soft-edged iPhones..
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2020-04-19, 13:17

The thing is, and I appreciate good design as much as anyone, but I know so few people who don't put their phone in a case. Size is much more important than design.

Why can't we have a small iPhone again!!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-04-19, 14:31

I think that ship has sailed. At this point, Apple couldn't launch such a phone even if they wanted to, because apps wouldn't work right.

(See how the 4S was on iOS 9: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...-nothing-more/)
noleli2

2020-04-19, 14:44

I’m on an original SE and plan to keep using it until there’s a new small phone (so, forever). While I love the size and the look of the design, I have to say that it’s easier to pick up the curved edges of the 6-and-later phones from a table.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-19, 16:08

Yeah, Apple seems to be out of the small-screen business. That ship has indeed sailed. And, really, it isn't about the screen size as it is the body size. The only thing that might occur on that front, down the road, is if some future SE model is based around a 4.7"-ish display placed into a first-generation SE-sized body. I think that would satisfy so many...as large of a screen as possible within that compact, one-hand-friendly body design. That's the thing everyone really wants, right? And that's what the full-face design of the iPhone X-and-beyond allows for, so...

The unrealistic idiot in me spent much of 2019 hoping like hell that was going to be the SE 2.

But that's probably 3-4 years away, if at all. And my gut tells me that the only place it'll probably ever exist is as a prototype somewhere in an Apple lab (because you know they've worked that up by now). But maybe they'll surprise us and the third-generation SE could be something like that? Once all the flagships have gotten even bigger, pricier, fold-y, double-sided, six cameras, etc.
alexawiliams784

2020-04-25, 03:37

The reason why i don't like Iphones. They do not have new to launch. They just copy all the things from their previous sets.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-25, 15:22

Or not.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-14, 13:08

I'll stick this in here since it appears to be related to the iPhone 12. Apple's cables have never been much to talk about, and braided designs would be a welcome relief. We sell a lot of braided cables that are MFi certified, and all of them are better than Apple's. I'll say one thing, though. If this is real, those are very nice looking braids!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-07-14 at 14:38.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-07-14, 14:37

They’re so good that they had to drop the charger to cover the cost of the cable.

Jokes aside that is a nice looking cable.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-07-14, 14:42

That cable looks very nice. I'd definitely grab a few to replace the standard cables I have all over the place.

Regarding the iPhone 12, if it's a smaller version of the iPad Pro, I'd very much be a fan. The straight edges are super nice to have.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.