12" 867 g4 powerbook
1.12 gig of ram
60 gig hard drive
Airport extreme
Blue tooth
Superdrive
18 months of warranty left
$950.00

And I was going to buy the 1.33 12" powerbook when I go back to the US in August, but this looks like a good deal. The only thing is that the processor is 867.

Do you guys think I should get this or pay about 1500 for a new one?
Is there really a big difference between the 867 model and the 1.33 in speed?

Thanks.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-02, 10:06

Damn man, that's awesome. Cheaper than a current 1 GHz 12" iBook, for a PowerBook (so it could conceivably be about the same speed)... plus it has all that RAM, an upgraded hard drive, full wireless built in, Superdrive, and the warranty... that's awesome, get it.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-08-02, 10:15

Just sent him an email, he says it's in excellent condition and he got it April last year.

My main concern is about the battery, since he's been using it for more than a year, I might have to end up buying a new battery for it.

Would it still be worth it if I'd have to buy a new battery for it?

this machine is rev a powerbook 12, no known issues with it, right?

Thanks for the info.
Steve.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-08-02, 10:22

That's a great deal even if you have to buy a new battery for it. Are you sure it's legit? That gig of RAM runs over $300 in some places. I've got a rev. a powerbook and I haven't had a single problem with mine. Go for it if it's for real. Hell you could even resell it on eBay and make a profit.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-08-02, 11:00

Yeah, I'm quite sure it's legit because he's someone who's signed up on our MUG at Charlottesville, and besides, I'll give the money to him in person when he brings me the computer.

Now, just for info, the fact that it still has 18 months of warranty means he purchased apple care, so basically I'll be ok about quality.

But how do you change owners for apple care? How exactly does it work? Does apple know that the computer is under apple care so I can just take it to them if it breaks?

Thanks

For info, how much would a computer like this sell in the 'real' world? (since you say it's quite cheap)
CrowFreak

2004-08-02, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong
But how do you change owners for apple care? How exactly does it work? Does apple know that the computer is under apple care so I can just take it to them if it breaks?
From AppleCare Terms and Conditions website:

Transfer of Plan
You may transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment. If you purchased the Plan in the U.S. or Canada, transfer by sending written notice to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714-9125, U.S. You must provide the Plan’s enrollment or agreement number, the serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and the name and address of the new owner. For Plans purchased and enrolled/activated outside the U.S. or Canada, please contact the regional Apple subsidiary for the country of purchase.

Hope this is helpful for you.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-04, 08:13

Even if you have to buy a new battery, they only run $129 at the Apple Store (I always feel like Phil Rizzuto when I type that! ). Like other people have said, this is a good deal. For comparison, I sold my Rev. A TiBook 500 with the only upgrade being 768MB RAM instead of stock 256 for $700 last September. I put it on powerbookcentral.com and had it sold in 24 hours.

You could check PBcentral.com and see what similar computers are going for, but I think that's a good deal.

One thing though, find out what video card it has. This way you can see if it's compatible with the new GPU functions of Tiger, if that's important to you.
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-08-04, 11:19

If I were in the market for a new comp I wouldn't go for a used one, even if it's in good condition. I'd go for the 1.33 GHz rev b (?). That's just me but that's what I would recommend.

E-Mail: shiggymiyamoto@gmail.com
Formerly known as Proud iBook Owner 2k2 at AppleInsider.com's Forums
Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-04, 11:30

The 1.33 GHz is rev C.

And while a new one would be very nice, this one is too good of a deal to pass up.
stoo

2004-08-04, 12:26

The video card is probably a GeForce 4 Go 420, which is ass-tastic (slow, no/minimal CoreImage/Video support). It's the rev A(/B?) 12"'s biggest flaw.