Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Twitter
Page 1 of 11 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-01-20, 07:58

Who does? I do. It's pretty cool, a bit like the status thingy on Facebook but with an RSS feed, mobile alerts and you can update it using AIM or Jabber.

www.twitter.com

I only tried it because TUAW were spurting over it repeatedly last week. I'm pleasantly surprised at how addictive it is, although it's semi-useless. Poke me if you get it, I'm Spikespencer.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-20, 09:43

Added.

chucker

Oh, and I've been writing a tiny SIMBL plug-in to keep Twitterific, iChat and Skype in sync. I'll see about adding Adium support; shouldn't be hard. Perhaps for other IM apps as well, but they don't have AppleScript support.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-01-20, 10:23

Would you consider this more of a micro blogger or a meet-up web app? I'd really like three real world examples of how this might be useful... share the vision.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-20, 11:14

Life's too short to twitter. A noted, we already have web forums, chat forums, blogs, and YouTube to share all of our myriad ideas with the rest of humanity. If you can't get it done with those tools, I fear your entire life will be consumed by posting, chatting, twitting and tubing.

...into the light of a dark black night.
spikeh
BANNED

2007-01-20, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Would you consider this more of a micro blogger or a meet-up web app? I'd really like three real world examples of how this might be useful... share the vision.
For me it's a bit of both micro blogger and meet-up web app. Do you recall Kottke's "eye contact" idea a few years back? It was a bit like his pinging idea but slightly different - it reminds me of that.

For example, yesterday a friend added to his Twitter that he was going to the student bar near here, and although I was away from the computer, I got a text message - as I was in the vicinity, I was able to wait at the bar and meet him for a quick drink.

I think it's a really interesting idea: limitations in technology promote creativity. Something like MySpace is a prime example. It's so open, you can do whatever you want with it and as a result there are very few genuinely creative uses. Twitter strikes me as something limited for a good purpose. I'm sure 37signals could have a field day with it.

Anyway, I think Twitter is really promising.
spikeh
BANNED

2007-01-20, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Added.

chucker

Oh, and I've been writing a tiny SIMBL plug-in to keep Twitterific, iChat and Skype in sync. I'll see about adding Adium support; shouldn't be hard. Perhaps for other IM apps as well, but they don't have AppleScript support.
Let me know if you want a hand testing in Adium, I'd be very keen on that.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-20, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh View Post
Let me know if you want a hand testing in Adium, I'd be very keen on that.
I added Adium support earlier today.

You need to have SIMBL installed, and you need to use Twitterific for your updates. My extension currently doesn't poll for/get notified of Twitter updates, so it only works when you update through Twitterific.

1) Quit Twitterific.
2) Unzip http://www.chucker.rasdi.net/temp/Tw...eze.bundle.zip and place the bundle into /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins or ~/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins.
3) Relaunch Twitterific.

That should be all. When you write something in Twitterific's status text field now, and confirm it (Return, Enter, Tab, etc.), Twittereeze will check if any of Adium, iChat or Skype are running; if so, it will attempt to set their status message via AppleScript.

There's some debug stuff in Console still because this isn't quite ready for prime time, although it works fine for my own purposes.
spikeh
BANNED

2007-01-20, 12:41

Ace, downloading now
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2007-01-20, 23:36

http://twitter.com/rofltosh
chucker

2007-01-20, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
ROFL!
chucker

2007-01-20, 23:44

Quote:
Ace, downloading now
So, does it work?
chucker

2007-01-21, 01:09

I've updated Twittereeze to support a global keyboard shortcut. It's currently hardcoded to cmd-F11. Invoking this shortcut will toggle Twitterific's window and automatically set focus accordingly. So you can:
1) if the window is open and in the way, quickly dismiss it with cmd-F11.
2) if you would like to change your status, quickly show it with cmd-F11, type your message right away, hit Enter, then hit cmd-F11 again to close the window.
Very convenient.

Naturally, I'll try to implement a GUI for changing the shortcut eventually.

Credit to the sample code posted at http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?Sys...yboardShortcut ; I might move to Rogue Amoeba's more complete implementation, but this was faster to use.

Oh, and I'm also forcing the text field to always be in focus when the window shows up. I found it to be very annoying that it didn't previously do that.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-01-21, 02:45

I use the twitter widget now and then.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2007-01-21, 09:58

Sounds like a challenge to me...
spikeh
BANNED

2007-01-21, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post

Sounds like a challenge to me...
chucker

2007-01-21, 12:01

I've updated it again; you can now navigate through the recent tweets even while the text field is in focus (so you shouldn't have to use the mouse at all), by holding ctrl and pressing the up or down arrow key, respectively.
spikeh
BANNED

2007-01-22, 06:12

at the fact that I had 14 new text messages when I woke up this morning. I do like this Twitter thing!
chucker

2007-01-22, 06:16

Quote:
at the fact that I had 14 new text messages when I woke up this morning. I do like this Twitter thing!
Don't worry, Brad will personally pay for your phone bill.
spikeh
BANNED

2007-01-22, 20:55

Quote:
Don't worry, Brad will personally pay for your phone bill.
Ah, doesn't cost me a penny to receive 'em Although Brad is more than welcome to pay my phone bill if he wants!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-01-22, 22:38

How (if you can) do you switch your phone "on" and "off" of being able to receive messages from Tweeter (or AIM, or whatever)? I hate to be an idiot at not understanding how this stuff works (still). Very depressing.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2007-01-22, 22:43

http://twitter.com/account/notifications

"Turn off phone notifications during these hours"

or,

Quote:
Five Commands To Send From Your Phone or IM
* "off" temporarily disables phone updates
* "on" turns phone updates back on
* "get username" Gets that person's last update
* "get" gets recent updates from all your friends
* "nudge username" encourages someone to update
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-01-22, 23:07

Cool, thanks ABB!
chucker

2007-01-23, 00:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Cool, thanks ABB!
I believe you can even schedule "night hours" where you don't receive them.
spikeh
BANNED

2007-01-23, 08:24

Quote:
I believe you can even schedule "night hours" where you don't receive them.
Yep! Due to the multiplicity of geek sleep patterns, and the Yankee contingent using Twitter, I've got phone updated disabled between 00:00 and 09:00 GMT.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-03-18, 20:42

Have you guys seen twittervision?
Pretty cool.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-03-18, 20:52

Huh, that IS pretty cool.
I think that all my friends are "too old" to use Twitter.... they're hard enough to get hold of every other way....
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-03-18, 21:04

Yeah, I don't twitter, but I am starting to Yelp.
It's a bit more useful in my daily life than twitter.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-03-28, 06:21

Bump...

I've finally given in to Twitter.

http://twitter.com/fcgriz
chucker

2007-03-28, 06:42

FOOL!

I mean… welcome.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-03-28, 06:46

I'm too old and busy (new kid) to twitter but it sounds like a fun idea.

I went to twittervision and some guy spammed! It wasn't very effective because it came and went so fast but he said "just reminding twitter users that [company name] is a crucial memory reseller". Ridiculous.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.