User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

applenova DNS update (2023-06-01 edition)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
applenova DNS update (2023-06-01 edition)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-06-01, 19:09

We are in the process of transferring ownership and reconfiguring DNS for applenova.com. alcimedes has given the domain to me, and I will keep it in the same account as several other domains that I manage so hopefully we don't have any more midsummer outages due to missed renewals. I have initiated the transfer, and I am currently waiting on the registrars to do their things.

I hope this will not cause any downtime, but just in case, I've confirmed that forums.applenova.org is still up too. You might need to tell your browser to accept an invalid cert for the org version, but that should be only a temporary nuisance.

Latest status as of 2023-06-01 20:14:00 EDT:
Quote:
Awaiting release from previous registrar.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-06-01, 19:52

Shouldn't go down this year.
Code:
Updated Date: 2023-06-02T00:10:58.00Z Creation Date: 2004-06-22T22:13:22.00Z Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2024-06-23T05:13:22.00Z
We are good until next year at least now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-06-01, 22:48

Hrmm.... Unfortunately, from my end, it looks like it still has status:

Quote:
Awaiting release from previous registrar.
And I don't actually have access to it yet at my registrar. Hopefully the dates you found are a sign that it's actually farther along in the process than I can see! By transferring, I am effectively paying for one year starting from time of transfer, and those would be the new dates.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-06-01, 22:51

Oof. I guess I'll just have to be patient, and it's a good thing I didn't wait until the last minute.

Quote:
What does “Awaiting release from previous registrar” transfer status mean?

This status means that there are no issues at this time, the transfer is being processed normally.

According to ICANN 'Policy on Transfer of Registrations between Registrars', transfers that have reached this stage are automatically confirmed in 5 calendar days. However, it may take additional 24 hours for the Registry to finalize the transfer.

At this stage, you may want to contact the losing Registrar support team to check if they can release the domain sooner. However, in most cases this is a highly automated process, so there are no special actions required on your part.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-06-02, 07:29

Yeah, domain transfers are all automated really. It is rare that any human intervention is required. I used to deal with them all the time at the hosting company. I'm sure it has changed even more... but only so much since then. Less human and more automated at this point.

Are you moving away from Deamhost or to Dreamhost for the registrar? Either way, the whois shows the domain being updated as of this morning and still shows the expiration being a year from now. So it is clearly not being rejected.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-06-02, 08:25

From Dreamhost to Namecheap.

The last time I transferred a domain was probably at least 10 years ago, maybe more.

Status is still "awaiting release"/pendingTransfer. I swear it went a lot faster when I last did one of these. Oh well!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-06-12, 23:37

I've been aggressively watching the process in case we hit any snags, and although I forgot to post about it here when it happened, I'm happy to report that the DNS transfer process completed seamlessly a couple days ago.

I now have ownership of both the domain name and the web server, and my Infinity Gauntlet is nearly complete. Historically, alcimedes and I split ownership, with him maintaining the domain and me maintaining the web server, but as he's been less active than I, and having missed domain renewal a couple times in recent years, we decided it was time for me to take it all to make sure everything stays up and in sync. So, here we are!

applenova.com's new expiration is 2025-06-25. If we're still around in two years, I'll pay up again to keep it going.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-06-12, 23:48

Huzzah!!! Thank you Brad! Thank you Alci for all you've done! We are stronger than Twitter!!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-06-13, 07:07

My cat is stronger than Twitter.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-06-13, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Huzzah!!! Thank you Brad! Thank you Alci for all you've done! We are stronger than Twitter!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
My cat is stronger than Twitter.

Brad, two whole years! Sure you don't want to put the certs on a cron yet?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-06-13, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post

Brad, two whole years! Sure you don't want to put the certs on a cron yet?
The certs are my poor man's dead man's switch! If the certs go belly-up for more than a few days, you guys can assume I'm dust.