User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Just bought the powerbook...what to do?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Just bought the powerbook...what to do?
at061002

2006-01-11, 07:50

I literally just bought a powerbook a few days ago. I thought the new books that were rumored to come out would've been out of my price range and wouldn't have been made available right away. Do you think it's worth returning my 15" powerbook for the new MacBook? Is the MacBook THAT much faster or better?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-11, 08:02

You have 14 days to return it, according to the returns policy. You might get stung with a 10% restocking fee.

Yes, the new MacBook is worth the hassle. Unless you really, really need FW800 or a Dual-layer DVD burner, go get that bad boy taken back.

The MacBook is 4-5x faster. If we get pessimistic about marketing hyperbole, it's still going to be twice the speed, with Front Row and iSight. Back to the Applestore!

Oh...but: the MacBook is not available immediately. February.
at061002

2006-01-11, 08:12

I was under the impression it was available immediately but now that I looked at the ship date on the apple website they are available in Feb. oh well I guess I will just keep the one I have. I don't really need iSight...I can buy a separate webcam and front row I will never use...its just a matter of speed I guess. Having iSight would be nice but it's really not practical for me. Compared to the laptop I have now the new powerbook is a lot faster so I am happy.
Wraven

2006-01-11, 09:41

at061002,
That is a good attitude to have. Personally I would have been ticked.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-11, 10:38

It's a good attitude, but it's sort of absurd too, particularly if you are going to buy a webcam. The iSight may not be worth the 10% restocking fee you'll incur, but it's worth 1/2 of that. The other half, chalk up to experience. I'd totally do it if I were in your situation. But that's just me.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
omem

2006-01-11, 10:40

It's a faster computer, latest architecture, better screen, thinner... why not?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-01-11, 10:45

I would return the PowerBook and order a MacBook pro, but only if I had another computer (any computer) to hold me over until the MBP arrived.
hanxu

2006-01-11, 12:44

It's your own decision, but I would change it if I were you.

If they had 2 years return policy I would definiately change mine, now!
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2006-01-11, 22:56

I also would, if you need Windows, you 'have it', have a wwebcam whether you need it or not, is faster, and longer battery??? Have there been any reports on batt life yet? You get more for your money with MB, I'd say go for it unless you absolutely need a computer for a month or so. It is your decision; hard one at that?
at061002

2006-01-12, 07:49

After reading the specs on the macbook pro...it seems some things are a little different other than iSight, Front Row, the processor and iLife...the firewire port is only 400 and not 800 this time around and the dual layer dvd burner is no more? Is this true? As well as the powercord is different (I'm sure they mean well where it will just pull apart from the laptop if someone trips on the wire but for some reason I see some problems with this over time (it might become loose) making the connectors not sit flush together...making it hard to charge the laptop. That's just a thought but I'm seriously considering keeping the laptop for the 14 days (I have until the 22nd) than returning it and waiting a week and a half to get the new one...that's if the new MacBook will be available the first week of February in the stores. Can someone please comment on other hardware differences between the PowerBook G4 and the new MacBook Pro? (Firewire...and DVD burner)
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-01-12, 07:55

The new power connector is magnetic! As long as you don't hit it with a hammer a few hundred times, or heat it up to a few hundred degrees - the laws of physics state that it will remain just as magnetic on day 1000 as it was on day 1.

My PowerBook has lasted me over 2 years and I still consider it to be fast enough for what I do. I have no intention to replace my PB. However, my PC's days are numbered.... Bring on the 20" iMac :-)

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 09:40

I've been thinking my next PC may be a Mac. My current PC is getting old. I will need a new PC (that's just the (crummy) way it is). If the new, Intel Macs can boot Windows...

Ugh.
lightsocket

2006-01-15, 22:16

its unfortunate the the mac notebooks are not in 12" format and only 15". I bought the 12" probably a week before they announced the new model, and im not that pissed off about it. I need the 12" for the portability, not the speed.
jevau

2006-01-15, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsocket
its unfortunate the the mac notebooks are not in 12" format and only 15". I bought the 12" probably a week before they announced the new model, and im not that pissed off about it. I need the 12" for the portability, not the speed.
then why would the update have appealed to you? if the MacBook came out as a 12" update, the only difference would be iSight and processor speed. it may have dropped in thickness, but the 12" PowerBook is pretty damn portable.