AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Axe, Tag, 'Body Shots' ads...annoying?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Axe, Tag, 'Body Shots' ads...annoying?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-09-07, 21:00

I'm very annoyed by the 'Body Shots' commercials that are always running. It's just stupid, in-your-face sex-selling absurdity. I'm just kind of fed up with the whole moaning women, the lady who grabs the guy through the grocery aisle, and the stampeding chicks...

So: http://web.mac.com/chrisd7/iWeb/Site...2F3994771.html

Love Juice - You'll get fucked!

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-09-07, 21:01

I like 'em. They're hot.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-09-07, 21:06

It's not often that I agree wholeheartedly with Messiahtosh, but now is one of those times.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-09-07, 21:08

I'm with you on this one, too, 'tosh. The new "Clix" ad they have is kind of clever, but the rest are annoying.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-09-07, 21:12

The word I'm going to use is juvenile, because that's who they're selling to. Frankly, I would hope that a hormonal teen boy would find these things condescending. I mean, they try to over-play it in some cases to comedic effect, but the point is too obvious to play coy and ironic with the theme.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-07, 21:23

I hate the commercials too. But I do buy Axe from time to time, bouncing back between a couple of particular scents. I often get compliments from womens (known and unknown alike) on how good I smell when I've spritzed a little on, so why not?

But yes, the commercials are embarrassing as can be.

Off topic..."Lara Croft Tomb Raider 2" is on TBS right now...holy crap, is Ms. Jolie built like a house or what?!?

Sorry...excuse me while I mop the drool.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-07, 21:23

A friend of mine had a conspiracy theory that suggested the fragrance market is in cahoots with the entertainment industry(TV, print, movies...etc.), the idea was that we tack on all these smells which hide our natural smells so that we are more susceptible to what the media dictates is or is not attractive/desirable, since it is easier to control images than smells.

Anyway, I agree about those ads, they are obnoxious and annoying, but they are damn effective, the whole body spray concept in general basically took off over night thanks to that advertising.

The other ads that annoy the hell out of me are the "I am man" burger ads, in fact, all around the "man" chest beating in advertising bothers me. Portraying men as stupid crude oafs that define fun with how many beers they've drank and how many titties they ogle. The "man laws" type stuff. It's childish and completely un-manly, imo.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-09-07, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

Off topic..."Lara Croft Tomb Raider 2" is on TBS right now...holy crap, is Ms. Jolie built like a house or what?!?

Sorry...excuse me while I mop the drool.

I love how she is kicking the guys ass.
ironlung

2006-09-07, 21:58

You know whats worse than the ax commercials? When a company tries to imitate them... tag released a whole series of commercials that seem to be ax rip-offs..
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-07, 22:12

Damn, I'm getting all sorts of action in elevators now.
You're just a bunch of stinking, whiney masturbators.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-07, 22:12

Truthfully, I get them confused. Which is the one with the sexy woman moan/breath at the end? Tag or Axe? There was one that just made it seems like the moment you spray it on, the leg instantly flies your way.

A guy was getting hit on by his girlfriend's mother (a favorite of mine, despite a tinge of creepiness).
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-09-07, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie View Post
I like 'em. They're hot.
hell yea
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-09-08, 01:09

Someone should take your microphone away.Seriously.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2006-09-08, 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I often get compliments from womens (known and unknown alike) on how good I smell when I've spritzed a little on, so why not?
I just make sure I use nice shaving cream and don't mix too many scents. A little Eton College goes a long way. Soap, shampoo, deodorant, shave cream, toothpaste, etc. can add up to one obnoxious concoction.

I have women tell me they like my smell. They also say they like the "natural" smell of a man (not B.O.) though. You probably don't want to cover your natural scent too much (assuming you're not a sweat-ball), but it helps to add or accentuate it with something that works with it.

I imagine it's like how guys say they like women who aren't wearing make-up. Really, guys like the make-up, just that it looks better when it's done so that they can't tell when the woman is wearing any. The color and application fits their natural coloring and contours, complements it. Subtlety is the key. I suspect a lot of these boys are dousing themselves with this stuff though, like a tweener girl putting on bright pink lipstick and black mascara thinking it looks sophisticated.

The question is: how far away are these women when they tell you yhat you smell nice? The proper answer, the one you want, is that they have to real pretty close to really take it in.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-09-08, 09:29

When I used to use cologne, I had rule for gauging how strong it was; if I can smell it right after I put on, I've put on too much. I shouldn't be able to smell it within 15 seconds after the application. I eventually gave up on it because I got older and decided that my shaving cream could equally perform well.

Amusingly, I have read articles in Discovery suggesting that women are more attracted/turned on by guys who are sweaty (think sweat after basketball game, as opposed to sweat from lack of shower). Considering how we go to pains to cover up our BOs, seems to be counter-productive.

Back to the ads... if you were making Axe or Tax ads, how would you do it? I simply can't think of any compelling reason to buy those product other than to attract opposite sex. I've yet to met a guy who says he buys so and so because he likes the smell for his own sake. It's usually because some girl told him that he'd smell good with that or that he did smell good with that. So, obivously, you get that kind of ads of women ravaging after their He-Man.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-08, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
I just make sure I use nice shaving cream and don't mix too many scents. A little Eton College goes a long way. Soap, shampoo, deodorant, shave cream, toothpaste, etc. can add up to one obnoxious concoction.

I have women tell me they like my smell. They also say they like the "natural" smell of a man (not B.O.) though. You probably don't want to cover your natural scent too much (assuming you're not a sweat-ball), but it helps to add or accentuate it with something that works with it.

I imagine it's like how guys say they like women who aren't wearing make-up. Really, guys like the make-up, just that it looks better when it's done so that they can't tell when the woman is wearing any. The color and application fits their natural coloring and contours, complements it. Subtlety is the key. I suspect a lot of these boys are dousing themselves with this stuff though, like a tweener girl putting on bright pink lipstick and black mascara thinking it looks sophisticated.

The question is: how far away are these women when they tell you yhat you smell nice? The proper answer, the one you want, is that they have to real pretty close to really take it in.
Don't worry...it's legit. They're close.

And I certainly don't douse it on. That's a bit gross. Just enough that you'd have to be "in my business" to notice (or maybe, at the least, standing very close). I'm not spraying it on with a paintgun.

I can't stand guys who just pour on the cologne or aftershave or whatever. I can be in a store or restaurant and someone can walk past, 5-10 feet away, and you can smell what they're wearing. THAT'S too much.

I use that Old Spice liquid soap. I get more compliments on that than anything ("clean, zingy, fresh", etc.). Sometimes a spritz of Axe (like today), but most of the time (Monday-Thursday workday, or weekend morning or afternoons, just the soap and deodorant).

But playing a little acoustic set tonight, immediately after work, so why not...at a Marina clubhouse pool, no less. Can't WAIT to see the kinds of womens (and bathing suits) I might get to enjoy in about seven hours...

Show up, plug in, strum and croon, enjoy any goo-goo eyes coming my way, make some back if I feel like it, etc. Should be a fun night.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-09-08, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artap99 View Post
Someone should take your microphone away.Seriously.
Does anyone remember Lieutenant Steve from "Good Morning Vietnam?"
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2006-09-08, 11:16

i keep a can of axe around for two occassions: going out to trendy type clubs that i hate, and for covering the inevitable weed smell. its kind of useless at those clubs anyway, cuz they're so packed that ur inevitably within 2ft of group of guys, ea with a 40ft smell radius anyway. and the chicks who go fer those guys aren't exactly the girls i go for. for covering weedsmell, its grrreat tho. u smell just like every other retarded asshole around, but u swagger and giggle, and stare at the bag of doritos for twenty minutes before buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
The other ads that annoy the hell out of me are the "I am man" burger ads, in fact, all around the "man" chest beating in advertising bothers me. Portraying men as stupid crude oafs that define fun with how many beers they've drank and how many titties they ogle. The "man laws" type stuff. It's childish and completely un-manly, imo.
the manly type commercials are a reaction to the fruitiness many doods have taken up. metrosexuals have softened too many guys; several popular icons are these manpussies, or mussies, as it were. drinking beer and burping is more gutteral, and you dont need your nails done to do it. i read an article a few weeks/months ago that metropolitan women were looking for less metrosexuals and more traditional heterosexuals, and the advertising seems to follow that.

i coulda sworn that axe and tag were made by the same company. they're too darn similar. what do they compete on? who can be the most like the other?
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-08, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak View Post
the manly type commercials are a reaction to the fruitiness many doods have taken up. metrosexuals have softened too many guys; several popular icons are these manpussies, or mussies, as it were. drinking beer and burping is more gutteral, and you dont need your nails done to do it. i read an article a few weeks/months ago that metropolitan women were looking for less metrosexuals and more traditional heterosexuals, and the advertising seems to follow that.

Mussies? 'the fuck you babbling about?
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2006-09-08, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Mussies? 'the fuck you babbling about?
As in, "you should take your fucking balls out of your purse, mussy."
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-08, 12:25

that has got to be one of the most retarded things I've ever heard.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2006-09-21, 10:14

The Onion provides an excuse for the bump action I'm takin on this sucka.

I hear Myrtle Beach is primed for such a disaster too.

I can tell you that Chapel Hill must be located on a Tag waste site because the whole place smells like it. The good part is that it isn't (yet) mixing with the pig farm smells outside of Pittsboro.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-21, 14:59

I bought a bottle of axe this Tuesday. Wow, it's horrible.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-21, 15:50

Dude.
You don't drink the stuff.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-21, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Dude.
You don't drink the stuff.
Oh.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-09-21, 15:55

I think that ads are just dumb... but then dumb people are their target buyers.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2006-09-21, 19:48

Axe : Armani Code as Playdough : C4
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-21, 19:50

Now THAT shit you can drink!

(I actually don't know what it is but the timing was right)
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-06-11, 21:33

Have you guys seen the new ones?

"BomChickaWahWah!"

http://axebcww.com/main.php?loc=us&bookmark=phenomenon
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-06-11, 22:53

Thanks for the seizure WR, please tag a link like that next time