Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

10.3.6 Available in Software Update

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
10.3.6 Available in Software Update
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
trailmaster308

2004-11-05, 23:21

You guys need to take something for those coughs. Does anyone know someone with some "medicine"?

Oh BTW. No problems on 1Ghz PB or iMac G5.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-11-05, 23:22

Oh no! Of course not. That would be very naughty!
I think Apple actually send the men-in-black around for that kind of thing!

Do you have a warez handle?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
JohnHenry

2004-11-06, 00:43

God why me...
I always hear to wait wait wait but noooo...

Updated from a (previously) fully updated MDD 1ghz

Update went fine, but upon reboot im getting a kernal panic at the apple logo

I tried restarting with the "c" key depressed, but it wont boot to CD. I'm really getting sick of having problems with my apple while my 2 year old pc chugs along without a single freakin problem. Anger rising....
AirSluf

2004-11-06, 02:15

Last edited by AirSluf : 2004-11-16 at 00:02.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2004-11-06, 06:30

All fine here too. (15" PowerBook 1.25)

I wonder why we always seem to get a mix of people that have major problems, minor problems and no problems at all. *Touching Wood* All the updates I have done on my Mac's have been fine...

I do have a problem that sometimes when waking from sleep the screen does not come on. Annoying but not critical! I hope the slightly related fix in this update sorts that out for me.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-11-06, 07:41

Yeah, I've always found that weird too. Same update...some people are fine, others lose their entire machine.

Has lots to do with other programs/utilities they have? I don't know, but I'm glad I always seem to get lucky. I think I had one kernal panic (is that where all those letters come on the screen?) on my old 15" iMac G4 about two years ago. That's been my only "bad" experience with OS X.
jimdad

2004-11-06, 08:16

iMac FP800 fine. Nearly put off by people'sproblems, 'though. Even though it's boring to read I think it's important that those who don't have problems still post to present a balanced picture.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-06, 09:05

I think people are generally too hasty to update and that some short and simple steps could easily alleviate any problems.
  1. Uninstall (not just disable) any "haxies" and the APE framework. These are known to wreak hellish havoc with system updates. Remove any themes or other global system-modifiers.
  2. Remove any "prerelease" software from Apple. DUH. If you are running prerelease software, you may just have to clean install your system because if the various stuff it may scatter across your drive. Why people do this with their live systems is beyond my understanding. At least install it on a separate drive or partition so you reduce the risk of it hosing everything.
  3. Repair permissions and the drive before installing.
  4. Run the daily, weekly, monthly crons once to clear out old logs and such.
  5. Repair permissions after installing. Usually not necessary, but it can't hurt.

Yeah, that about covers it. I have never once had a problem with system updates on any of the five Macs I work with.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2004-11-06, 09:46

I wonder if Apple's use of "smaller sized deltas" has increased the problem... if the Software Update app can't tell that something has been hacked, and then tries to replace only some of the code, there's no telling what may happen.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-06, 11:04

Everything's fine except for about one-third of the screen being totally red.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-11-06, 11:13

at our work i update dozens of Macs when new updates come out. so far, i haven't had a problem yet. of course, we don't install weird cracked out system hacks either, so go figure.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
scratt
Veteran Member

2004-11-06, 11:14

Brad, what you fail to realise is this comes in the pleasure / pain category!

Half of the people here would have nothing to talk about, or do if they didn't have these computers to worry about, fawn over and put back together after bastardising them with cool haxies which seem such a good idea when you read the write ups on VT, or chat to a mate at Macfilez!!

I deliberately install everything on my main day to day work system just for the sheer hell of it. I operate under the assumption that if I can't fix it again then I shouldn't be dabbling with the things I am dabbling with.

I use "pre-release" software and each time I do a system update something goes down and I promptly put it back together again within the hour... It's a joy to behold!

It's like the guy down the garage each weekend tweaking his car that he needs to get to work on Monday morning 80 kliks away... Does he ever doubt he is gonna make it to work? Nah!! Does he need to tweak it. Nah.. We just do...

Ah the joy, the mysery. The highs. The lows. Where's me spliff....

btw - Has enyone noticed that .MAC mail has been down ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-11-06, 13:33

My Safari is going hay-wire. It won't open up windows, I can't click on any of the menu bar items. This is crazy.

I fixed premissions, trying re-install now. On a 1.25 15" PB.

EDIT: well it works more or less now, but things are still goofy.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Last edited by Maciej : 2004-11-06 at 13:54.
SledgeHammer

2004-11-06, 14:07

System config's in my sig. No problems with this update or any other.

I don't dabble much (or at all, realy) in haxies and what not any more, but in OS 9 and earlier I used to mess around with the appearance and every other thing I could figure out how to. I once set a start up picture that kept the computer from starting up. To this day I don't know why. As far as I could tell it was no different from any other startup screen I had used, but the computer crashed every time. Took me forever to figure out what the problem was too. Oh well, I was like 12.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-06, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Brad, what you fail to realise is this comes in the pleasure / pain category!

Half of the people here would have nothing to talk about...
I honestly don't think you are in the majority, scratt. Maybe in the company of other forums and websites you are, but I don't think everyone here has all sorts of haxies and other nasty tools installed. Rather, I think a lot of people here are more aware of exactly the problem haxies can pose and stay away from them. This is just a general observation of my own and I could be wrong.

Having said all that you did, though, I think that gives people like you no reason to make any sort of complaints on forums like this when things go awry. If you knowingly dig your own grave, deal with it yourself. Saying anything else publicly can be interpreted as FUD and will make the matter look a whole lot worse than it really is.

I don't mean to direct this just at you, scratt. It's just a rant to anyone who hoses their own system and then acts like it's Apple's fault. Those people piss me off to no end.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2004-11-06, 14:52

ARRRGH! I updated, thought everything went a-ok, but now I can't even see one of my external Firewire hard drives... It had a backup of my system on one partition, and it was definitely working before the update... I could see it was an option to install onto.

It won't even show up in disk utility on my (not updated) iBook.

GRRR.

Edit: Hmmm... I took the hard drive out and it was extremely hot to the touch... I hope the update didn't fry it. The update did claim better Firewire device compatibility, so I wonder if the firmware of this (Macally 400) drive is incompatible or something. Ugh.

Edit 2: Whoa. Watch out if you have Firewire Drives... Check out this Apple Support topic: http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...DO.1@.689e7fce

Edit 3: OK. I let it cool, and then the 10.3.5 iBook mounted it correctly. No data lost. Whew. But I'm still scared to plug it back into the 10.3.6 machine... I don't want it to overheat again (if that is the problem).

Last edited by Majost : 2004-11-06 at 15:35.
iBrowse

2004-11-06, 15:11

While installing with Software Update I got a kernel panic, I was pretty worried about this, but I restarted and downloaded the installer from Apple's site and everything seems to be going fine now. I checked the console logs and there doesn't seem to be any sign of what caused the panic. I just hope everything is all good after this next restart.

i thought i used to have a signature
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-11-06, 17:30

Perhaps unrelated to 10.3.6, but my old PithHelmet got cranky about its preference pane and failed to load in the updated Safari.

I d/l'd the v2.1.1 version of Pithhelmet and reinstalled it... back to cleaner browsing.
(newer options and controls now too.)
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-11-06, 20:53

Going fine for me on my 800 G3 iBook. No haxies, Safari still works with my UserContent css (blocks ads).

But, I can't use the hidden Calculator plugins in the new version. In the previous Calculator, you could open the package, go to Resources, and you'll find three plugins -- hex, 2D graphing, and expression sheet. Simply move those into the Plugins folder (the one in the Calculator package), and you can do more stuff.

The new Calculator, unfortunately, doesn't handle those plugins correctly, even though they're included inside its package. At least I had already renamed my modified Calculator, which itself was a copy (I didn't want to risk screwing up the original).
scratt
Veteran Member

2004-11-06, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Having said all that you did, though, I think that gives people like you no reason to make any sort of complaints on forums like this when things go awry. If you knowingly dig your own grave, deal with it yourself. Saying anything else publicly can be interpreted as FUD and will make the matter look a whole lot worse than it really is.

I don't mean to direct this just at you, scratt. It's just a rant to anyone who hoses their own system and then acts like it's Apple's fault. Those people piss me off to no end.
Agreed. I don't think I ever have. My comments earlier in this thread were lighthearted.

I firmly believe in responcibility for ones own actions... If you make your bed you should lie in it etc. etc

ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-11-06, 21:36

I upgraded with no problems besides what I was saying about slow applications. So I decided to install the newest build of panther that is out on the internet. Well it's gotten worse on my computer then the WWDC build. So I'm going back to 10.3 and upgrading and everything.

So fun for me Only thing I care about on my computer is my mp3s, so I can risk it
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-06, 21:42

Quote:
I think people are generally too hasty to update and that some short and simple steps could easily alleviate any problems.
  1. Uninstall (not just disable) any "haxies" and the APE framework. These are known to wreak hellish havoc with system updates. Remove any themes or other global system-modifiers.
  2. Remove any "prerelease" software from Apple. DUH. If you are running prerelease software, you may just have to clean install your system because if the various stuff it may scatter across your drive. Why people do this with their live systems is beyond my understanding. At least install it on a separate drive or partition so you reduce the risk of it hosing everything.
  3. Repair permissions and the drive before installing.
  4. Run the daily, weekly, monthly crons once to clear out old logs and such.
  5. Repair permissions after installing. Usually not necessary, but it can't hurt.

Yeah, that about covers it. I have never once had a problem with system updates on any of the five Macs I work with.
The daily, weekly and monthly scripts perform tasks which are practically irrelevant to system updates and stability problems.

I still would love to know what your beef is with Haxies. To this date, my installed Haxies have been more reliable and out of the way than Apple's own software updates, which have been known to wipe out entire HDDs and otherwise hoze working installs. I've asked the following question before... Can you give an example of a Haxie wreaking havoc with any Panther update? I'm only looking for one.

I've had zero problems with system updates here either, and I've never felt compelled to disable/uninstall Labels X, WindowShade X, ShapeShifter, or the Audio Hijack APEs.

Anybody? Have any of you had software update problems that directly correlate to Unsanity Haxies or other APEs?

Remember that problem people had with Office X apps crashing on launch due to the DivX 5.0.6 plugin? QuickTime's not evil just because it can accept third-party code and otherwise muck with other apps. If you have a problem with an APE and a particular app, it's incredibly easy to disable it for that app, unlike QuickTime.

Last edited by Eugene : 2004-11-06 at 21:59.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-06, 21:56

Wait, Brad, if you've "never once had a problem with system updates," then how do you know that haxies can "wreak hellish havoc with system updates"? I guess other people who use them have come to you with problems? Because I've never had any problems with them.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2004-11-07, 07:42

The update worked well for me (from 3,4 to 3,6). I do not notice much difference thought.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-07, 16:53

Barto, what's the bug? I installed the ATI Displays update as well.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-07, 16:57

Quote:
How very bizarre! When it finished installing and rebooted, I was presented with the registration screen.
While this is not a "problem," this is an anomaly that hasn't affected anyone else. Have you installed anything known to wreak havoc with your system?
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-11-07, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
Barto, what's the bug? I installed the ATI Displays update as well.
According to ATI (via xlr8yourmac.com), ATI Displays 4.4.1 has problems on eMacs and portables which will be fixed in ATI Displays 4.4.2.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2004-11-08, 11:40

Installed on a 1ghz AlBook and a dual 800 Quicksilver. Been working fine all weekend with no apparent problems so far. I had no haxies or pre-release stuff installed.

Safari seemed faster on the pb, but it could just be wishful thinking.

Shhhh, I can't see!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-08, 11:43

I Eugene.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-11-08, 11:47

Installed on my Dual 2.0 G5
Upon restart the computer let me login and was about to display the desktop when it went to blue screen and then back to login screen. Logged in and all seems to be fine....so far.
I don't use Safari so I can't update on its improved functionality or not.

Last edited by kretara : 2004-11-08 at 19:42.