User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

"You can't be too thin" - un-PC slogan? (pun intended)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Will the "You can't be too thin" pitch be criticized?
No, it's marketing genius, for heaven's sake! 10 14.29%
Yeah, some crazy liberals will be up in arms! 16 22.86%
Huh? I don't get it. 5 7.14%
This poll's options suck. Also, beer. 39 55.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

"You can't be too thin" - un-PC slogan? (pun intended)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2007-08-07, 22:32

Sure, it sounds good in relation to computers and all, but I guarantee some eyes will be raised somewhere .

edit: ok, if you still don't get it - think Nicole Richie. Does that help?

Last edited by ezkcdude : 2007-08-07 at 22:41. Reason: explanation
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-08-07, 22:45

What in the world are you talking about?
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-08-07, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
What in the world are you talking about?
I believe he's referring to the new tag line on Apple.com: "The new iMac. You can't be too thin. Or too powerful."
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-08-07, 22:48

Absolutely! The dog mice down the street with the cheese hats eat all those catnips! They are obviously hiding their oversized mushrooms. I think those sunflower seeds should be banned from every Mcdonalds until they can solve this ipecac issue!


Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-08-07, 22:48

Fourth poll option added.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2007-08-07, 22:51

Quote:
Fourth poll option added.
Sorry, I assumed AN members are super intuitive. Assuming everyone had heard the ad slogan for the new iMac (heck, I just got an e-mail with it in big bold font), I thought about it for a moment. Can't be too thin? Haven't we been told ad nauseum over the past few years that our society promotes too-thinness? As in too-thin-that-it-makes-12-yo-girls-anorexic-too-thin. Get it now?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-07, 22:57

I never once thought to apply Apple's new iMac tagline to, um, people.

And I'm a crazy liberal.

This thread is pretty ridiculous, IMO.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2007-08-07, 22:58

mmmhm..but you know humans are ridiculous...But I think this will piss people off more

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2007-08-07, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I never once thought to apply Apple's new iMac tagline to, um, people.
Really? Where do you think they got it from?

Also, in case people still don't know PC = politically correct.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-08-07, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Sorry, I assumed AN members are super intuitive.
That doesn't preclude the poll options sucking. Just offering extremes of "marketing genius" and "crazy liberals" is super stupid, unless the whole thing is some sort of a joke.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
BenP

2007-08-07, 23:16

I'm pretty sure there was a "Got Milk?" ad that got lambasted because it had a picture of a model that said "You can never be too rich or too thin."
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2007-08-07, 23:25

Quote:
That doesn't preclude the poll options sucking. Just offering extremes of "marketing genius" and "crazy liberals" is super stupid, unless the whole thing is some sort of a joke.
I'm not sure what other options could have been listed - "Uh, it's like ok, sort of" or "meh, I don't care for it." The point is either you are offended by the ad or not. Personally, I'm a little surprised they would use that particular phrase - my prediction is it won't be used for long before they see some backlash (even if it never becomes public criticism).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-07, 23:53

Quote:
I'm not sure what other options could have been listed - "Uh, it's like ok, sort of" or "meh, I don't care for it." The point is either you are offended by the ad or not. Personally, I'm a little surprised they would use that particular phrase - my prediction is it won't be used for long before they see some backlash (even if it never becomes public criticism).
That's not what you asked in the poll. You asked whether people thought it was marketing genius or whether people thought crazy liberals would be offended.

Not only do neither of those options adress the "point" of this thread, they aren't even mutually exclusive.

This entire thread feels like you're just trying to raise a non-existant issue. Maybe you should try writing to NBC or something, they seem to have a penchant for sensationalist Apple news.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
autodata
hustlin

2007-08-08, 00:00

Threads like this make me long for logic captchas during user sign up.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2007-08-08, 00:08

Quote:
That's not what you asked in the poll. You asked whether people thought it was marketing genius or whether people thought crazy liberals would be offended.

Not only do neither of those options adress the "point" of this thread, they aren't even mutually exclusive.

This entire thread feels like you're just trying to raise a non-existant issue. Maybe you should try writing to NBC or something, they seem to have a penchant for sensationalist Apple news.
You guys are waaayyyy too serious! Relax.

BTW, robo, you need to brush up on your logic. Since when are "No" and "Yes" (or "Yeah") not mutually exclusive?
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-08-08, 00:30

I get the poll. I don't see anything wrong with it. Is it a little odd? Yes. But it does make sense (to me). Obviously I'm in the minority here.

I voted.

I don't think there will be big uproar about this. The Got Milk ad had a model in it, which directly implies that women ought to be skinny. This ad, however, contains computers. BIG difference.

Now, where is Halle Berry when you need her...

Deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-08, 00:32

Quote:
You guys are waaayyyy too serious! Relax.

BTW, robo, you need to brush up on your logic. Since when are "No" and "Yes" (or "Yeah") not mutually exclusive?
Because your "No" and "Yes" options don't answer the same question. You asked whether we thought it was marketing genius or whether it would offend crazy liberals.

Sometimes genius marketing is controversial.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-08, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick4 View Post
I get the poll. I don't see anything wrong with it. Is it a little odd? Yes. But it does make sense (to me).

I voted.

I don't think there will be big uproar about this. The Got Milk ad had a model in it, which directly implies that women ought to be skinny. This ad, however, contains computers.

BIG difference.
Exactly. When I read "You can never be too thin. Or too powerful," I assumed Apple was referring to the thinner and more powerful computer featured in the ad.

I think most people are with me on that one. I didn't think "Is Apple trying to tell me I should be skinnier?" It's just not a logical conclusion to me.

An ad for food that claims "You can never be too thin," however, is different. Especially when the ad shows a skinny model and goes on to describe how milk will make you thinner.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2007-08-08, 00:49

Quote:
Exactly. When I read "You can never be too thin. Or too powerful," I assumed Apple was referring to the thinner and more powerful computer featured in the ad.

I think most people are with me on that one. I didn't think "Is Apple trying to tell me I should be skinnier?" It's just not a logical conclusion to me.
Dude, that's obvious. You probably can't afford or even operate a Mac, if you really thought they were advising people to lose as much weight as possible. The point is that companies sometimes get in trouble for ads that can be misinterpreted or taken out of context. Here's a recent example:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/advertisi...-ad-285278.php
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2007-08-08, 02:33

Yeah...the blogs..they have eyes....and are watching every move....
rasmits
rams it

2007-08-08, 07:26

When I first saw the slogan I laughed. I imagined a new iMac TV ad featuring twiggy.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-08-08, 09:33

What Brad said.

the second time he said something

And then, what robo said.

Then what Brad said again.

Then what Robo said. And Then again. And again.

Debating is easy.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-08-08, 09:38

Yes, I think some people will take it (the tagline, not this thread or poll) too seriously. Yes, I'm a crazy liberal.

Off topic: does anyone know what the thingy is on top of the Dell's ATX case?
RichieB

2007-08-08, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Yes, I think some people will take it (the tagline, not this thread or poll) too seriously. Yes, I'm a crazy liberal.

Off topic: does anyone know what the thingy is on top of the Dell's ATX case?
The IR sensor
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-08-08, 10:25

Quote:
Sometimes genius marketing is controversial.
Similarly, controversy is almost always marketing genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Debating is easy.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-08-08, 10:31

Perfecting_Zero

2007-08-08, 12:03

This thread reminds me of one of those "Listmania" things that Amazon allows users to post. I read one a while back for the 1st gen Nano:
You can never be too sleek, too thin, or too Nano-torious!

I tend to agree that controversial marketing is, generally speaking, effective marketing. Apple is simply riffing off pop-culture, and nothing wrong with that. I like the new ad slogan.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-08-08, 15:03

I am pleasantly surprised by the beer lobby turnout.

Fox News would eat this poll up though. They really love sensationalized false dichotomies.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-08, 15:09

Yeah, just Fox. And Fox alone.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-08-08, 15:12

I like it, but it's certainly edgy in a way that Apple marketing hasn't really been (at least while I've been an observer). I wonder: does this reflect a conscious change of direction or just a one-off idea?