AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

can't get picture in video chat

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
can't get picture in video chat
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2008-01-29, 16:22

Hi

I'm trying to get an iChat session working, but on my end I don't receive a picture (I only get my own preview). The other end has no problems.

We've tried this once before where it worked perfectly well, none of us believe to have changed anything, so it's a bit weird.

I'm in iChat vers 3 (OS = 10.4) and she's on vers 4 (OS = 10.5).

Audio works fine and connection docter says I'm sending 10fps, and that she's sending 15fps. However my bitrate is a lot higher than hers (600 vs. 100 kbps). Both audio and video quality meters are at 100%.

Is there some setting either me or her could have toggled? Could it be a firewall issue?

"What can be asserted without evidence, can also be dismissed without evidence." - C. Hitchens
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-01-29, 16:31

Drop your bitrate down to something lower. Sounds like your bandwidth can't keep up with what you're setting it to.
geneman

2008-01-29, 16:37

Just tried, no difference. It was set to "bandwidth limit none" I just tested 200kbps. And 100kbps on both ends.

Also, I'm on a 10Mbit line and she's on 2Mbit.

thanks

"What can be asserted without evidence, can also be dismissed without evidence." - C. Hitchens
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-01-29, 16:50

If you're not getting a picture but you're getting sound there's no firewall etc. issue, or you'd get nothing.

It means that either your download rate can't keep up with what she's sending, or her upload rate can't keep up with what she's sending. (you aren't pulling the info down, or she's not able to send it up.)

I've seen this fairly regularly when someone has high latency on their connection as well. Can she ping your machine's IP address and see what the latency is on the network?

(applications/utilities/network utility)

If you need to know your IP address go to www.whatismyip.com

Have her put that into the Ping tab and post the results here.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
geneman

2008-01-29, 17:02

Unfortunately she's gone to bed (different time zone...) so I won't be able to troubleshoot anymore right now. But thanks a lot for your help.
geneman

2008-01-30, 16:57

Seems it fixed itself... must have been a bandwidth issue...

Only other thing I can think of is that when it's working I haven't connected my external display, but I really don't see how that should affect anything.