AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

MS Silverlight

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MS Silverlight
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-04-19, 15:40

Microsoft just announced their new browser plug-in called Silverlight. Which seems to be their answers to Flash. It's cross-platform and runs in Safari and is capable of displaying full screen 720p WMV files. Microsoft is also hinting that parts of the .Net framework have been ported to OS X. Apparently NetFlix may be using this for their download service as well.

Microsoft's press release

Some MS blogger guys post on it

I'm all for anything MS does that includes us gentle Mac users from the get go. I'll let the real nerds here at AN weigh in on the technical junk. It's beyond me.
rasmits
rams it

2007-04-19, 15:44

There's a lot of content out there that uses WMP DRM, so it'd be nice to have Mac support for that.

But I'm a little skeptical about their Mac support. WMP for Mac is terribly out of date, as was IE until its demise. I hope they don't shaft us once again.

edit: Pretty logo

You had me at asl
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-04-19, 15:46

Don't you think Microsoft will do what they usually do (cf. Internet Explorer, WMP, etc.): make it look all nice and rosy for Mac users for a while until companies start using the technology liberally, then slowly but surely start killing the Mac version, missing updates, etc. until Mac users have no choice but to switch to Windows to access content distributed with the tech, which by then will have become an industry standard?

For all Adobe's flaws, they don't have an OS to sell so they have more incentive to treat the different platforms equally.

LOL! I see rasmits has an equally suspicious mind!

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.

Last edited by Dorian Gray : 2007-04-19 at 15:47. Reason: beaten by rasmits
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-04-19, 15:49

Here's a link to a pre-release version of the plug-in. Any brave souls out there willing to try?
http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/downloads.aspx

I'm also wary of MS after the dropped WMP support in favour of F4M. But maybe they dropped support of WMP knowing this was coming out soon.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-19, 15:56

So, if it's just XAML and JavaScript, that means it can easily get generated using virtually any XML-supporting library, right?

As opposed to *cough* Flash *cough*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
For all Adobe's flaws, they don't have an OS to sell so they have more incentive to treat the different platforms equally.
Well unlike Adobe, at least Microsoft puts an effort into making new stuff of theirs universal:
Quote:
Silverlight is just a 1MB download on a PC (slightly more on a Macintosh because the universal package contains both Intel and PowerPC versions)

Last edited by chucker : 2007-04-19 at 15:56. Reason: Posts merged
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-04-19, 15:59

Wow. Looks good. Bravo, Microsoft, not only for a simultaneous Mac release, but a universal binary at that.

Apple supporting Microsoft (iTunes, QuickTime) and Microsoft supporting Apple (WMV Player/F4M, Office, Silverlight) only means everyone wins.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-04-19, 16:15

No, Linux users don't seem to win
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-04-19, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
No, Linux users don't seem to win
Ha. Very true. But Microsoft is scared to death of GNU/Linux, remember?
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-04-19, 17:02

Apple seems to be as well. No QuickTime nor iTunes for Linux, remember.
Apple and Microsoft both seem to be perfectly happy with the two of them being the mainstream contenders on the home desktop.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-19, 17:10

Quote:
That doesn't necessarily make them scared.

Also, Microsoft's scaredness isn't on the home desktop market, where Linux is virtually irrelevant, but in the enterprise and government positions.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-04-19, 17:23

Quote:
Apple and Microsoft both seem to be perfectly happy with the two of them being the mainstream contenders on the home desktop.
Apple would benefit if GNU/Linux took a big bite out of Windows, be it in the enterprise or the desktop. The fewer installations of Windows in the world, the better off we'll all be.

I don't understand why Apple doesn't release iTunes and QuickTime for GNU/Linux. I know a handful of people in a situation where iTunes is the only application tying them to Windows.

Weird, huh? Apple software is keeping some people on Windows! Crazy times we live in.

chucker

2007-04-19, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Apple would benefit if GNU/Linux took a big bite out of Windows, be it in the enterprise or the desktop. The fewer installations of Windows in the world, the better off we'll all be.
For GNU/Linux to be successful on the desktop, it would have to approach the UI quality of Mac OS X, thereby threatening both Mac OS X and Windows. So, no, Apple would not necessarily benefit.
¡Damned!

2007-04-19, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Pretty logo
Heh. When I saw it a few days ago the first thing I thought of was Adobe's new CS3 packaging.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-04-19, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
For GNU/Linux to be successful on the desktop, it would have to approach the UI quality of Mac OS X, thereby threatening both Mac OS X and Windows. So, no, Apple would not necessarily benefit.
For it to be successful on the Desktop, it would only need to surpass Windows in UI quality, not OS X. It would probably do so by taking some cues from OS X, but I highly doubt that GNU/Linux could become a serious competitor to OS X.

How many Mac users do you know who would seriously consider switching to Linux, even if it made serious UI improvements?

Me neither.

chucker

2007-04-19, 18:21

Quote:
For it to be successful on the Desktop, it would only need to surpass Windows in UI quality, not OS X. It would probably do so by taking some cues from OS X, but I highly doubt that GNU/Linux could become a serious competitor to OS X.

How many Mac users do you know who would seriously consider switching to Linux, even if it made serious UI improvements?

Me neither.
But if it surpasses Windows, it becomes a far more viable alternative for Windows users than Mac OS X is. Not only do you not have to buy a new computer (a Mac); you don't even have to buy an OS license. If it's better than Windows, it's already 1) good enough, and 2) worth switching to.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-04-19, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
But if it surpasses Windows, it becomes a far more viable alternative for Windows users than Mac OS X is. Not only do you not have to buy a new computer (a Mac); you don't even have to buy an OS license. If it's better than Windows, it's already 1) good enough, and 2) worth switching to.
I see your point. But I stil think that Desktop Linux will surpass Windows at some point in time.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-04-19, 19:24

Which would not necessarily be a good thing for Apple...
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-20, 00:12

Bump...

Has this gone anywhere? I installed the RC in Safari 3 (beta in a beta, I know, asking for trouble) and nothing worked. I flipped through the little showcase on the promo site, and none of the links worked, except for the one to the Xbox 360 site, which caused a "Silverlight error." At least it didn't take down Safari.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-08-20, 00:15

I haven't installed it. All I know is they're already dropping PowerPC support in version 1.1. So my earlier thread prediction is already coming true.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-20, 00:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I haven't installed it. All I know is they're already dropping PowerPC support in version 1.1. So my earlier thread prediction is already coming true.
Sigh... it'd be nice if Apple introduced web application framework to compete with Silverlight and Flash...

Of course, it'd also be nice if Apple introduced a sportscar.
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2007-08-20, 01:33

Quote:
Sigh... it'd be nice if Apple introduced web application framework to compete with Silverlight and Flash...

Of course, it'd also be nice if Apple introduced a sportscar.
And a subnotebook, and a mid range headless desktop, and a sexbot.

But seriously, is MS really dropping support for PPC already? I hope that's not some kind of bad sign for the future with regards to Silverlight for Mac.

EDIT: And Apple could actually probably pull it off really nicely, the whole web application framework.

Last edited by iFerret : 2007-08-20 at 01:50. Reason: Added some more thoughts. There was more, but now I can't be arsed.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-04-08, 23:39

So I saw this advert for Silverlight and clicked on it..

It took me to a cool looking page which said I needed the plug in, and that I should 'click here' for that, and once it's installed I should quit my browser and re-visit this page..

So I did so. (I was quite pleased I would not have to re-boot my machine, and would not even have bothered looking at it if I had to).

After re-launching Safari (which it had identified as my browser and said was compliant) I re-visted the page...

I arrived at the same cool looking page which said I needed the plug in, and that I should 'click here' for that, and once it's installed I should quit my browser and re-visit this page..

So I did so. (I was quite pleased I would not have to re-boot my machine, and would not even have bothered looking at it if I had to).

After re-launching Safari (which it had identified as my browser and said was compliant) I re-visted the page...

I arrived at the same cool looking page which said I needed the plug in, and that I should 'click here' for that, and once it's installed I should quit my browser and re-visit this page..

Great work MDollar! Happy April fools?!?!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-04-08, 23:46

Does Microsoft have to have an answer to everything?!?
scratt
Veteran Member

2008-04-08, 23:52

Evidently!

Overall as an install procedure it was pretty painless, and quite slick. I didn't actually get the software I wanted, nor get any better idea of what Silverlight is.

But I don't have any viruses and nothing crashed. So overall that's a giant leap forward for MDollar IMHO!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
chucker

2008-04-09, 00:06

Never had problems installing Silverlight.
scratt
Veteran Member

2008-04-09, 00:11

I would be willing to bet it starts working after I reboot my machine.

But then my scatty squirrel like mind will have moved onto other things by then...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-04-09, 00:17

Being —$ (see what I did there? ), I'm surprised it didn't force-reboot your machine.
scratt
Veteran Member

2008-04-09, 00:28

Well exactly. I was very pleasantly surprised that it didn't need me to format my HD or something.

I expect I'll get an ugly dialog in a few days with 'AutoUpdate' plastered all over it, and half a dozen useless 'Productivity Features' I can download. The dialog of course will be incredibly difficult to dismiss, and will crash Finder all the time when I try to right click on anything.. *sigh*

btw. I got bored of using it but you can do this.. suxors!

cutman

2008-04-09, 02:17

Silverlight has ruined MLB.tv, and I hope it dies a painful death!
rasmits
rams it

2008-04-09, 03:54

Téléjournal Montréal uses Silverlight. I actually think it works really well. My old PB can't handle many online videos anymore, but I have no problem playing their stuff fullscreen.

Yeah, I know I don't live in Montréal, but I had a bunch of customers come in from Québec and I found their accents intriguing.

You had me at asl