User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Digital Camera Chat

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Digital Camera Chat
Page 111 of 114 First Previous 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114  Next Thread Tools
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-02-19, 05:19

I wasn't aware the Pentax brand was in need of saving. $1800 for a pretty high-end full-frame DSLR seems like a pretty safe play.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-02-19, 13:51

It's pretty good value. With robust weather sealing, stabilization, and the basic set of f/2.8 pro zooms - 15-30 and 24-70 Tamron rebrands, but good ones - as well as a selection of more vintage pieces, outside of telephoto, probably a good choice for nature photographers. Salgado, who used to carry a set of Leica rangefinders, and is something of a god of nature photography, shoots a Pentax 645. And thanks to their 645 cameras, the brand has been enjoying some attention in professional circles too. The K1, with Sony's 36MP sensor gets you 80-90% of the performance for a much lower price than a 645 based system...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-02-19, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I wasn't aware the Pentax brand was in need of saving. $1800 for a pretty high-end full-frame DSLR seems like a pretty safe play.
A company with less than 5% marketshare isn't exactly in a good position, considering they are in a market (cameras) that is facing massive drops in sales. I'm not saying Pentax will die, but the K1 alone wouldn't save the brand either.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-02-19, 21:08

As long as Pentax isn't losing heaps of cash for Ricoh, they probably believe it's worth keeping around. If they boost their shipments to 6% from your stated 5%, that's a 20% boost for them. I don't think Pentax needs saving right now anymore than Volvo needs saving in the auto industry. Volvo currently has less than 1% market share in the US.

Note that both companies changed hands in recent years, but seem to be pretty stable.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-02-21, 19:10

You know, if the interchangeable lens camera market contracts, smaller players may not be so badly off. Manufacturing of cameras and sensors is sufficiently commoditized, while manufacturing of lenses is sufficiently niche, even for the big players. That means small batch production runs of new glass supporting relatively profitable camera bodies. No one is really in a position to drive down lens prices - and in fact they have been increasing - bodies OTOH hand could probably be as cheap as film cameras before too long.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-02-21, 21:02

Pentax is an odd ball. When I was first looking at DSLR's I considered Pentax and looked at them. Now that would be tough, since only one or two of the larger local stores in Vancouver even carry Pentax products anymore, other than the "tough/underwater" pocket cameras. That's not a good sign for the brand, IMO. I know most people are buying online these days, but I sure wouldn't want to buy a $2499 (the Canadian retail price) for a camera like that without touching it first!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-02-22, 07:42

To put it in perspective, even with the current - and some future - decline in digital camera sales, it remains a vastly larger market than the market for film cameras. A market in which dedicated stores did well, and carried a number of brands. Pentax will be just fine there. These places even carry Leicas and Hassleblads and they don't sell many of those either.

If we expect fewer camera stores, they will probably be more enthusiast/professionally oriented, rather than a retail-consumer shop.

Best Buy and the like will continue to carry some irregular smattering of high end cameras, but they'll never stock the higher end lenses.

The trend line for most of the camera makers is fewer sales overall, but a shift towards more expensive models.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-08-17, 13:53

So I've decided it's finally time to replace my Digital Rebel XT. It's been 11 good years—and it still works fine—but I got my bonus last week so I'm treating myself.

Just ordered a T6s. I narrowed my choices down to the T6s, a refurb 70D and the Lumix LX100. Ultimately I eliminated the 70D because I prefer the smaller size of the Rebels. I was strongly attracted to the LX100 but decided I don't want to abandon interchangeable lenses.

My walkaround setup will now be the T6s with 24mm/2.8 pancake lens, plus I have my 50mm/1.4 (and a 28mm/1.8 that I never use). I considered grabbing the 40mm pancake but decided it's redundant with the 50mm, though the diminutive size would be nice. I'm very tempted to sell my 28mm and put the money towards the 24-105mm/4L or maybe just the EF-S 17-85mm.

I'm leaving for Tokyo and Shanghai in a few weeks and I'm super stoked about trying these out. Mostly I'm looking forward to decent high ISO performance. The XT is pretty bad above 400.

edit: And of course now I have buyer's remorse and wonder if the SL1 wouldn't be plenty of camera for my needs and if I shouldn't return the T6s and save a few hundred bucks.

Last edited by Ryan : 2016-08-17 at 14:47.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-08-18, 14:37

T6 is small enough already. Overall package depends more so on your lens choices. If you want really small cameras, you have to get an AIO solution.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-08-18, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
T6 is small enough already. Overall package depends more so on your lens choices. If you want really small cameras, you have to get an AIO solution.
Yeah. After sleeping on it I've decided to stick with the T6s. Should be here tomorrow.

I'm still considering selling my 28mm though. Haven't used it in at least a year.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-08-19, 09:14

I've also finally made the jump (years late, I know) from Aperture to Lightroom. I finally gave up my opposition to buying software on a subscription basis. Honestly, ten bucks a month for Lightroom *and* Photoshop isn't a terrible deal, plus I was encountering more and more bugs in Aperture that I couldn't work around.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-08-19, 09:26

I'm still on CS6, PS & LR, but am partially resigned to the idea that, eventually, I will have to subscribe when new/future camera/OS compatibility forces my hand. CS6 probably won't be outdated for a long time unless OS compatibility is intentionally broken at some point, but the RAW converter in LR means that at some point keeping new cameras working on old software will be more of a PITA than it needs to be.

IIRC correctly, you can still get standalone LR CC, though Adobe drops a few features from it.

It would be really cool if someone brought PS level selection tools and masking into LR and some hybrid of layer functionality into the brushes and their associated pin markers. That could probably keep me out of photoshop 95% of the time.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-08-19, 12:12

It's here!

But my SD cards don't arrive till Sunday.

womp womp.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-08-19, 14:27

I've got a Nikon D3300 with the Sigma 18-35 mm as my main lens.

I'm heading to Hawaii in a month and am looking for a lens that will be best lens to take with me. I think I'm taking the Sigma, but was thinking about a wide angle as well.

Like this one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TVPDKIKX 0DER

Any better recommendation?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-08-19, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I'm still on CS6, PS & LR, but am partially resigned to the idea that, eventually, I will have to subscribe when new/future camera/OS compatibility forces my hand. CS6 probably won't be outdated for a long time unless OS compatibility is intentionally broken at some point, but the RAW converter in LR means that at some point keeping new cameras working on old software will be more of a PITA than it needs to be.

IIRC correctly, you can still get standalone LR CC, though Adobe drops a few features from it.

It would be really cool if someone brought PS level selection tools and masking into LR and some hybrid of layer functionality into the brushes and their associated pin markers. That could probably keep me out of photoshop 95% of the time.
I've bought Affinity Photo, but haven't had a chance to explore it yet.

Adobe has an office in Canada, but for some reason they want me to pay for CC in American dollars. When that changes, I might consider subscribing.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-08-19, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
It's here!

But my SD cards don't arrive till Sunday.

womp womp.
Why in the hell did I wait ELEVEN YEARS to upgrade.

Sometimes I am way too much of a cheapskate.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-09-22, 07:52

So now it's getting to be my time to upgrade. I'm still rocking the Rebel XT I got over 10 years ago. I did a photo shoot this past weekend and was reminded how out of date it was in the extreme low light situations I was in and expected to get something out of that camera other than noise. I'm looking at something before Christmas at this point, maybe after the first of the year though.

So I'm after something full frame this time and with GPS or easy GPS add-on that I won't have to do a bunch of steps afterwords to geotag the images. I'm thinking the 6D is what I'm looking for but am open to 5D also. Since I haven't been following cameras at all lately am I looking in the right direction for sticking with Canon? I've got enough lenses I'm not really inclined to look at Nikon at all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-27, 19:50

The 6D is getting rather old at this point, I think it first shipped two or three years ago. Not sure if it's due for an update or not. I think if you are willing to spend the money a 5D series camera is a much better bet.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-09-27, 20:52

I didn't realize it was so old. I just saw it has GPS and full frame. So maybe it'll be upgraded soon. I would love a 5D. It was my dream camera when I was in photography school a few years ago. My only concern is that I don't use it enough to justify the cost. I would love it when I have it for things like the set shoot I did a few weekends ago. Maybe I should just got for the 5D. I am trying to be cheap that's all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-28, 01:01

At this point anything you get will be a huge improvement over your old Rebel, but if you keep this camera as long as you have the Rebel just get the best you can afford. You'all be happier in the long run.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2016-09-28, 02:35

The EOS 6D is actually four years old now. I think it’s still an attractive buy, partly because it has GPS and few SLRs do, but it will probably be upgraded sooner rather than later. However, any new model may cost more, since the trend recently has been price increases.

The 5D has become a high-speed, feature-heavy, professional camera. Unless you take advantage of those things, the value isn’t really there, in my opinion. If you do, of course it’s great.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-09-28, 08:52

I wouldn't get the actual 5D Mk IV in any case, not when the 5Ds exists.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-09-28, 09:24

I'm incompetent enough at manual focus that I'd probably go with whichever camera has the better AF system.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-29, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I wouldn't get the actual 5D Mk IV in any case, not when the 5Ds exists.
Semi-debatable. Unless you really need those extra 20MP, the 5D MKIV is a better camera in just about every way (dynamic range, noise, speed, auto focus).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-09-29, 20:37

Given I'm moving up from 8MP, I don't need much extra pixel wise. Although the fact that I'm less likely to upgrade my camera again like I didn't upgrade this one. Getting the 5D does seem to make sense in that regard. I wonder if it's worth it to go for a used one. I can't imagine me doing that though since I'm planning to have it for a long time and use it for a long time.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-29, 22:51

You won't find any used 5D MKIV's, it was just announced a few weeks ago. I wouldn't touch the older 5D models, since none of them have the features you want (WIFI&GPS). Also unless you know the owner its kind of sketchy, simply because they tend to be abused being higher end cameras. I mean if you found one with less than 5000 shots from someone or a dealer you trust maybe...
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2016-09-30, 02:42

An EOS 5D Mark IV is a serious wad of cash and much of it is spent on things other than image quality. I’m sure it’s a lovely camera, but you’d have to be quite sure you’re going to get $3.5k’s worth of use out of it. Consider what else you can buy for that sort of money. An EOS 6D is just $1.5k. An iPhone is $750. Etc.

I think a new 6D will be along within six months. It will likely offer similar image quality to the 5D Mark IV (the existing 6D is close already) for a lot less money. You could even buy a 6D now and upgrade in six months at a ‘rental cost’ of perhaps $500, with the option to not upgrade at all if you find the 6D just fine.

Just a couple of thoughts.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-09-30, 08:41

Depending on your existing Canon lens collection, sticking to an APSC camera might be a good choice too. The latest 24MP ASPC sensor is probably quite a bit better than the 8MP generation, and a bit cheaper than your existing 135 format options.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-09-30, 10:28

Given I don't do paid photo shoots at all anymore and only use the DSLR for specific events and outings it doesn't make sense to et the 5D. I really do want to move to a full frame sensor even though I have operated just fine with the APSC. I didn't realize the newest 5D is the only one with WiFi and GPS. It would have to be one amazing sale, or my just being very free with my cash to buy that one I think.

My current lenses are very basic. 100mm Macro is my favorite. Then there is a USM 75-300 and the kit lens that is something like 25-55mm. So really, I'm not heavily invested in lenses, but sticking with Canon works for me because when I do the video set photography (which I guess is a pay gig) the videographer uses Canon gear and lets me use his lenses. He pays for lenses too. So I get free use of his lenses as long as I stay Canon an we work together.

If I were to go with the APSC route is there a camera that has WiFi and GPS? I go lost with the "T" versions and stopped looking at them. Mostly because I have my eye on a full frame, though I guess I am open to the idea of another APSC.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-30, 10:38

Canon is strange about GPS and WIFI, in that they only having one or the other in their APS-C cameras. The 80D, mid-range Rebel (T6i) and high end Rebel (T6s) have WIFI and NFC but no GPS, while the 7D MKII has GPS, but no WIFI. Basically if you want both without external devices you need the 6D or the 5D MKIV.