AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 20 of 21 First Previous 16 17 18 19 [20] 21  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-05-27, 00:54

Thank you for taking care of the server to the very end. I'll start processing world backups this weekend to prepare for sharing soonish.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-27, 14:05

It has been a privilege and an honor.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2023-05-27, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Thank you for taking care of the server to the very end. I'll start processing world backups this weekend to prepare for sharing soonish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
It has been a privilege and an honor.
Thanks to you both for all the hard work on keeping this running all these years. Start the 5 year reunion countdown.
¡Damned!

2023-05-28, 19:40

So much fun and so many laughs. Again, a million thanks to both of you for routinely going above and beyond. And thanks to all – past and present – who contributed to making it such a great time. It's been a blast.

So it goes.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2023-06-07, 05:42

Is the problem the server or the cost of the server?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-06-07, 09:13

It wasn't a cost factor. Electricity is free for me now and the hardware is long paid for. At least for me. Really, it comes down to managing and maintaining it when it really isn't being used. My internet has gone down the drain and is no longer remotely stable.

Really, there are many factors that all tie in.

It has been a long run and a good run.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2023-07-21, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The older backups need to be converted (maybe going through multiple steps) and need some minor tweaks to their "level.dat" files to make them fully playable in single-player mode.
Question: Is it possible/easy to flick a few switches and make these the type of worlds where we can switch between Survival and Creative via /gamemode? I had this thought recently while loading up an old world that was Survival-only, and it would've been nice to be able to fly and fast-travel by switching modes temporarily.

***I bump the thread only for this question! Minecraft, for me, is in the rearview for the foreseeable*. But I really, truly want to have close to me a digital history of what we all did together.

Whenever.

🎁🎁🎄🎁🎁

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-07-22, 10:41

You can switch between modes on any world in Java. I think the same fore Bedrock but I'm not 100% sure on that.

If you get one of our old worlds you will be able to change up and go. Even if you have to update the OP file to add your name to it. I don't recall if that is required though on a "local" world, which these would be if you ever get a copy of them. That is something I'm leaving at Brad's discretion.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-08-01, 09:59

I was cleaning up files on one of my NASes for an upgrade I need to do and ran across this chat with Brad:
Quote:
Jabber IM with Brad>3/21/11 11:27 PM

heyo
tok
brb - connecting to server on ssh
ok
so, first q
ever used "screen"?
Nope.  
ok, crash course!
Back when I started hosting the MC server I didn't even know what screen was or how to use it. It is really amazing that using linux became my profession not horribly long after I started running the server.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2023-11-09, 18:56

I'm feeling oblivious, but was the world available to download from somewhere?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-11-09, 20:13

If y'all ever relaunch on a new server I promise to try and come by. I'm still a huge fan of the game, I just watch more of it than play it, right now.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-10, 10:16

I was looking through the thread here and Brad mentioned giving you all the world files after we shut down. I don't know if he was planning to migrate them up to a current version or not first.

I do have all the MC world files/folders available as is from our backups. PM me if you want the link to be able to grab them. I don't want to post the link publicly.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2023-11-20, 18:05

I’ve been trying to download the cashout cove file from the link you gave me but it keeps failing
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-20, 21:45

Ken had a problem too. I’ll get you another link tomorrow.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2023-11-20, 23:08

If you need a place to host it, I’ve got plenty of bandwidth
¡Damned!

2023-11-21, 09:02

Oof I meant to mention this as well but got tied up elsewhere. I had trouble too – any of the files that are over 1GB stop downloading and fail at exactly 1GB. So CC, FTB, and a few of the backup_ worlds I haven't been able to successfully grab. I was going to bug ya after the holiday, T.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-21, 09:39

Hmm...

I wonder if something in my Nginx config is what it breaking it. I can download locally using the links and they work fine. It must be something with Nginx getting in the way.

For the moment I have the main final world in Dropbox and I know it works. I'll send the link to you. I honestly wouldn't mind the links being public, but I don't want bots and those not part of our group downloading them. There isn't anything private in them, I just don't want them being grabbed outside of our group.

Part of it really does go back to my meager 10Mb upload speeds. Man I miss FiOS.

Please post the ones worlds you want to download here and I'll get them somewhere we don't have the limit on grabbing them. If you didn't get CC and want it you can say it here and I'll PM you from here.

Edit: Oh, and I have a limited space available with Dropbox so I can't just load everything in there and send links from it. I'm having to do it one at a time. At least with CC's 1.7GB size that is. The smaller backups won't be a problem to put a few in.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2023-11-21, 15:26

I've got terabytes free on my NAS and 500/500 fiber, want me to send you a link T?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-21, 15:28

I just sent you a link. Feel free to mirror it if you wish. I was able to get it working via bypassing nginx.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2023-11-21, 15:31

Got the link, I'll get a spot set up for it.
¡Damned!

2023-11-22, 21:30

I haven't played Minecraft since the server shut down, so after six months dry this is great fun.

One of things I ran into upgrading Cashout Cove to the current 1.20 version of Minecraft was a blocker message, telling me I couldn't make the jump because of 'symbolic links' and how they are very, very bad. It sent me to this page, and I followed the instructions by making the .txt and going through logs and pasting the blah blah. That shit didn't work at all. What did work was gnashing and rending and then deleting these 2 aliases in the world folder:

I did a trim of the world as well, guided by our previous trim discussions plus adding couple of new areas that needed saving (frog farm and deep dark entrance). I don't know if there are any builds outside of these areas, but here's my list of saved files in the 'region' folder:

I checked a few areas for biome blending and if I'd missed a chunk maybe, but it all looks good so far.

Note that Brad's magnificent texture pack for 1.19 is in the 'datapacks' folder. Move that file to the 'resourcepacks' folder in /Application Support/minecraft/.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2023-11-22 at 21:41.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-23, 16:53

Interesting about the alias thing. It is only used on our servers because it made it easy to know which of the DIM folders was The End and which was Nether. Just deleting them is fine as long as it doesn't delete the destination files.

Thanks for sharing that in here though. It will make it easier for others who run the world.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2023-11-25, 20:17

I made the pilgrimage to Micro Center and picked up a refurbished dell optiplex with an i5 7500 and 16gb ram. Mostly I'm using this for plex, but I also wanted to experiment with bedrock and java Minecraft servers before getting dedicated hardware.

Long story short, it feels good to be home:

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-25, 23:37

Nice!
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2023-11-26, 00:31

Gotta up my render distance.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-12-18, 22:32

I sat on this for too long, and I guess T beat me to the punch. A whole month ago. (D'oh! )

Well, I went and converted and "optimized" each of the not-modded worlds to the latest 1.20.4 format, fixed "broken" world spawn locations (old worlds sent you to 0,0 which was sometimes underwater or buried in stone), modified the level data to allow cheats, archived, and uploaded them to share with you goons. If anyone still wants a copy of any of my versions, bump this thread with a request, and I'll PM you a link.

Merry Christmas, ya' filthy animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Gotta up my render distance.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2023-12-19, 09:01

Bumpity bump! Thanks for taking the time to upgrade these and convert to cheaty – I'd much rather just fly around the old worlds and take in the sights instead of huffing it not remembering which way to go.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-19, 13:22

Oooo oooo, pick me!

I want your versions!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-12-19, 23:56

Sent! Only some of these have the nether included. I forgot to grab the nether and end for our last world from T's server before the shutdown. Maybe if I can get a copy of yours, I can merge them back together. Not sure if I still have SSH access to anything on your network.

Also, note that since the original Bridgeport started on a very early alpha version of Minecraft and has gone through multiple migrations over the years, some things in there are kind of weird or broken. Chests are sometimes rotated and disconnected. Some paintings fall off the walls when you come near them. Some doors and nether portals are glitchy. I'm pretty sure this is all because at some point in the alpha or beta versions Mojang decided to rotate the whole universe by 90 degrees, and existing entities preserved their direction for a while but eventually got lost or flipped in one of the migrations.

¡Damned!

2023-12-20, 11:51

Thank you! I spent a few moments this morning flying around Cactuar and Sedona. What fun.