AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Disney+ $6.99/mo

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Disney+ $6.99/mo
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-19, 12:15

I'm just going to chuck this in here because it all seems to go together.

Apple has announced that Apple Arcade will be just $4.99/month. That is cheap (depending on the caliber of games).

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-19, 19:20

That is super cheap. I was expecting double that.

That’s not an announcement, though; that’s a leak from 9to5.

On the Apple TV+ front, Bloomberg reports that it’ll be $9.99/mo, which is what I expected, and that it will launch with five shows: Amazing Stories, The Morning Show, See, Truth be Told and the documentary series Home. That’s…not a lot for a service that doesn’t have library content. I do understand the need to be able to release new shows through the year, though – they can’t just dump the season for all their shows in September.

I would be surprised if TV+ launches without For All Mankind, though. They’re setting that up to be one of their flagship series.

The WSJ reported that Apple is spending $15M/episode for See, which is, like, final-season-of-Game of Thrones money. According to the Financial Times, they’re spending even more on The Morning Show, which is just bonkers to me. But I guess they got the cash…

Bloomberg says TV+ will launch in November, while Financial Times says it’ll launch “in the next two months.” I think the further they can get out ahead of Disney+, the better – that’s going to suck up all the oxygen out of the streaming service room this holiday, and it’s not like Apple is going to be able to match them for content at launch.

I can’t help but think that Apple should have bid for the rights to, like, Friends. And The Office. But regardless of its prudence, I’m glad they’re spending money on making a lot of new shows instead. That supports a lot more people in showbiz and spreads that money around a lot more. Plus, we get new shows out of it. Win-win!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-19, 23:28

Yeah, Apple is being pretty aggressive with this stuff, an I actually think all providers will have to be. There's going to be too much competition, and some of those competitors have too much content to do battle with. There are going to be a few winners, though. Those companies like Disney and Netflix which have huge catalogues, smaller but well entrenched outfits like HBO and PBS, and a few upstarts with deep pockets like Amazon and Apple. I suspect the average customer (myself included) will set aside enough entertainment dough for something like three of these things. I'll keep Netflix for a while and definitely sign up for Disney+. If Apple offers a free trial period then I'll check out these new shows and see if they can catch me within 2 episodes, but it has to be that quick. Any longer and I get bored and change the channel. Breaking Bad caught me at episode 1 and keep me through the end. Yeah, it has to be that good or a series is gonna get set aside. Not many do it for me, since I really don't like TV that much. Even The Mandalorian is going to have to get me right up front. But, if Apple can persuade me to hang around, I'll give them a try,

Apple Arcade? Undecided. We'll likely have demo content on our demos systems at the shop, so I might get a good sampling there and be able to decide. Still, 5 bucks is cheap!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-23, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Yeh, I'll take that annual and get my two months free, baby!

I just don't see how Apple can compete with this. They've got what, five shows?

Quote:
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Disney CEO, Bob Iger told a group of investors, "We are developing not just one, but a few Star Wars series specifically for the Disney direct-to-consumer app."
Just this one thing would get my subscription, and will get millions of others, even if they had nothing else to offer! $7/mo for all you can eat Star Wars? That's cheaper than a single ticket for a movie!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-23, 13:35

I think if Apple TV+ is $9.99/month for five shows with no other way to get it, it’ll be more or less DOA. Even if they’re great shows. People will look for reasons not to subscribe.

But I also don’t think Apple will do that. I think Apple will have it also available in a bundle (Apple+?) with Apple Music, Apple Arcade, Apple News+, and more iCloud storage. I think a lot of people are going to get it that way, because it will be priced in such a way where it’s an attractive bundle even if you don’t care about every single service. And then once people have Apple TV+, they’ll be more willing to try the shows and they’ll get more into it. Sort of like how Prime Video got in the door alongside Amazon Prime.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-23, 13:41

You know, I really HATE the move to subscription everything. I want to buy it and own it. Monthly fees mean I have no ownership even as an abstract concept. I only have Apple Music on my account because it is included with my call phone plan.

That being said, if Apple were to bundle stuff in with my 2TB iCloud plan then I would be willing to go in a little more. I pay $10 not for storage, but so my wife has piece of mind that all of our photos won't go up in flames if the house burns down with everything in it. If Apple does a good bundle though, I would be more inclined to give them more of my money on a monthly basis.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-23, 14:00

We spent way more and got way less when we "owned" the thing. A couple DVD's per month was $40! A few music discs were as much. Now, for $15/mo Netflix gives me way more and I pay way less. I'll take the subscriptions.

Hell, throw Disney+ in there and I still haven't paid as much as I would pay for 2 DVD's.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-23, 14:10

I think subscriptions make sense for music. Nobody I know ever bought every song they wanted to listen to on iTunes for $0.99 or $1.29. People always supplanted that with other ways of hearing music, like the radio or YouTube, and they only bought songs they really liked. But with streaming, you can use the one service for everything. It doesn’t just replace buying CDs – it replaces radio, too. Radio has always been a subscription, it’s just one you pay for with your time (through ads) rather than money. Only now these streaming services are like a magic radio that plays whatever you want, and you pay a small fee to avoid ads. Honestly, the subscription/radio model has been around a lot longer, and it’s probably the “ownership era” of tapes and CDs that is going to turn out to be the aberration.

TV is kind of the same. TV has never been built around buying and owning TV shows; it’s always been built around either a subscription or advertising or both. No one wants to feel like they’re shelling out money each time they plop on the couch to kill some time; that’s why the original Apple TV models (first of buying shows, then of renting them) failed. Apple made a “DVD player for the internet,” but the internet is about Netflix, not DVDs.

Movies, I still want to own in a way I usually don’t with TV shows. I’m not sure why, honestly. Half the time I’ll have a movie on Blu-Ray and I’ll still Netflix it just because it’s easier than getting up and switching out the disc. I think I’m mostly just a collector who likes having a bunch of boxed movies because I love movies.

But I think I’m in the minority, there. I think most people just want to sit down and see the movie, as effortlessly as possible, and they don’t care about seeing it in the best possible picture quality or with the most bonus features or whatever. And if it feels like it doesn’t cost them any additional money for each movie, that’s even better.

I’m an idiot, so I’ll probably buy the inevitable giant box set of all the Marvel movies in the “Infinity Saga,” and I’m sure I’ll use those discs some, but honestly on any given day I think I’d be more likely to actually watch one of the movies on Disney+, even owning the movie on disc. It’s just easier, and I can pull it up on any device.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-23, 14:15

I think it must be the way I (an my family) consumes media. I'm listening to old songs I've had for years. I'm watching old movies and TV shows from long ago with a few exceptions. I don't spend much time watching TV or movies so they don't get stale that fast.

I do listen to music all the time though. Sure it would be nice to have more songs in my rotation but I normally end up with my kids telling me about a song and then I go buy/download it and add it to the library. I still like CDs and actually rip everything Apple Lossless.

Trust me when I say I understand that I'm not the average consumer.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-23, 15:07

CD's and DVD's will stay around a bit longer, but their death-knell has been rung. So long as the internet exists, streaming is the future and that can either be funded through subscriptions or through advertising. The ad industry is fighting this harder than any other, because their very existence is dependent upon your eyeballs. Personally, I hate ads—I hate the politics, the "gotta-have-it-now", the toilet humor, the bogus claims, all of it—and can no longer tolerate them on any medium. Literally, they make me sick to the point of turning off the tube and finding something else to do. Any ad, of any content, on any show, and I'm out. I'll pay the subscription just to avoid the ads.

I watch netflix and use ad-blockers on my computers. I hate Amazon because every show I watch seems to include an ad for some other show, and that has turned me off of a lot of their content (honestly, the only reason I ever use that is for Top Gear The Grand Tour, and even that show gets fast-forwarded for 2 minutes so I don't have to watch the time-wasting intro [The Netflix web interface has a handy little "skip intro" option that I love]).

Seriously, kill the ads and charge me ten bucks. If your content is worth paying for, I'll gladly save the money over a cable/internet plan and stick around. If your content isn't worth watching, then it should die (or be funded by someone else's morbid curiosity). Hell, just my time alone is worth $7/month. I would gladly pay that to anyone who could get me back the time wasted by advertisers!

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-08-23, 16:26

I'm happy with my hybrid approach of streaming most things and buying what's important to me. I love being able to have a no-risk sampling of new artists. Maybe it's just me. I dunno.

My musical tastes have expanded greatly in the past few years because of this. And my wife and I have watched things we never would have even tried because it's available. Even with all the streaming services we pay for, it's far cheaper than our cable bill was years ago.

This is a pretty well-worn debate at this point.

More to the point, I'm excited about Disney+ not so much for the content but for the heavy hitter entering the market with such an aggressive price.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-23, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Even with all the streaming services we pay for, it's far cheaper than our cable bill was years ago.
Yeah, it's great. And there are no contracts so it's super easy to, say, add HBO when Barry is on, and then drop it. It's just way better than the bad old days.

Disney+ is extremely aggressively priced. Almost bewilderingly so, considering this is Disney, but I'm not complaining.

AT&T/Warner needs to figure out what the fuck they're doing, though. There's AT&T Watch TV, which is different than AT&T TV, which is different than AT&T TV Now, which is different from HBO Now, which is different from HBO Max, which is different from DC Universe...I just have no patience for that sort of thing. They should have one service for their original content, and then maybe a cable-replacement channel bundle for other companies' content, and that's it. No one can keep the rest of that mess straight.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-23, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
No one can keep the rest of that mess straight.
There will be winners and losers. Disney will win, Time Warner will lose (if they keep that model). [Most] people are not stupid and will vote with their dollars. Disney knows that and wants to get lots of loyal customers signed up before the rate hikes begin in, oh, 2-3 years.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-08-23, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Trust me when I say I understand that I'm not the average consumer.
I used to be like this, then I got to a point where space was more important.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-24, 11:03

And more:

4 simultaneous streams at up to 4k
7 simultaneous user profiles
Upcoming Star Wars TV series as a prequel to Rogue One, and The Mandalorian
$6.99/mo
$12.99/mo and you also get ESPN+ and Hulu [ad-supported]

Netflix:

4 simultaneous streams at up to 4k
5 simultaneous user profiles
All mentions of Star wars will go *poof*
$15.99/mo and there are zero sports

Disney's offering is going to be crushing! Netflix is spending billions trying to remain relevant, while Disney is going to strip away a ton of content from them (Disney's contract with Netflix ends at the end of this year).

The big properties in question are as follows:

Marvel Studios (The entire Marvel Comics universe, which is the biggest current money-maker in cinema)
Lucasfilm (mostly Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but amongst the biggest money makers in history)
20th Century Fox (What don't they own?)
ESPN Inc. (The biggest network of sports money on Earth)
A&E Networks (Not a lot there I care about, but they have lots of valuable properties to bring to bare)
Pixar (Don't even get me started on that money-making machine!)
National Geographic (Still around, still popular as hell)

20th Century Fox brings some titans to bare that will all be stripped from Netflix (if they are there at all). Following is a list of Fox big money-makers from Wikipedia:

1 Avatar $760,507,625
2 Titanic $659,363,944
3 Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace $474,544,677
4 Star Wars $460,998,007
5 Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith $380,270,577
6 Deadpool $363,070,709
7 Deadpool 2 $324,535,803
8 Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones $310,676,740
9 Return of the Jedi $309,306,177
10 Independence Day $306,169,268
11 The Empire Strikes Back $290,475,067
12 Home Alone $285,761,243
13 Night at the Museum $250,863,268
14 X-Men: The Last Stand $234,362,462
15 X-Men: Days of Future Past $233,921,534
16 Cast Away $233,632,142
17 The Martian $228,433,663
18 Logan $226,277,068
19 Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel $219,614,612
20 Mrs. Doubtfire $219,195,243
21 Alvin and the Chipmunks $217,326,974
22 Bohemian Rhapsody $216,428,042
23 X2: X-Men United $214,949,694
24 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes $208,545,589
25 Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Eventually, Netflix will be thrown to the wolves and left with nothing but their own, original content (which is likely why they are so furiously churning out [very good] shows and movies). Problem is, once you have seen most of that stuff, you really don't care to see it again*. However, those big-budget movies that Disney controls are watched over and over across many years and many generations. I've only seen one or two Netflix originals that mightmaybepossibly be worth watching again. That spells trouble, let me tell you, because Netflix will have to spend a ton of money always making new things, whilst Disney will have a titanic catalogue of classics to pull from, plus access to the theaters for major movie releases, any one of which can find that magical $200,000,000+ haul (and those numbers are just box office; they do not include streaming revenue, which is far more complex a number to sort).

We still don't know what Disney will shove into the game (although Star Wars, i.e. Lucasfilm, is confirmed), but what does Netflix have? I ask that question out of context though, because we probably all really like something from Netflix (I love The Kingdom) but are there enough loyal fans of that show to keep it going if Netflix loses most of its "rental" properties? I think not.

My gut tells me that Disney+ is going to wipe the slate clean and the entire system is going to have to start over. There are going to be a lot of losers, the largest of which will be Netflix, which as of December 31, 2019 will lose the following:

Star Wars (all episodes and all expanded universe modules)
Pixar (biggest of which is Toy Story)
Marvel (oh, no, not Iron Man! So much stuff in there it's scary)
Titanic

I'm going to end the list right there because I just don't want to type any more. The list is too damn long!

Apple TV+? I'm rooting for Apple, but dang! Robo is right, though, it's going to have to be bundled with a bunch of stuff to even collect people's interest. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize Apple will not be getting my money. I'm not an Apple Music subscriber and won't be, so how are they going to get me to sign up? Fool thing is gonna have to be fooooooor FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I mean, seriously!

*edit: Actually something just occured to me that Netflix is turing towards that may keep them relevant: Pornogrphy! Yep, mostly soft-core [Spartacus, anyone?] but also some hardcore. I clicked on a movie out of curiosity [Love, some French film] and the very first scene was a man and woman toying with each other's genitals, full view. A few scenes in: graphic sex—penetration and all. After I was caught off guard by Love—which I sorted out was rated MA (I had never bothered to look at ratings on Netflix, before)—I noticed that the "related categories" listed scores of MA films and TV "series" stuffed (pun intended) with either soft-core or hard-core pornography. I think this will be the line that Netflix gravitates towards because, well, sex sells!)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-08-24 at 14:15.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-24, 16:25

Netflix is also about to lose its two most watched shows: they lose Friends at the end of 2019 (moving to HBO Max) and The Office at the end of 2020 (moving to NBCUniversal's upcoming streaming service).

Netflix also has a habit of cancelling beloved original series at the end of one or two seasons. They say that they've done the math and seasons after the second don't really increase their subscriber count, but cancelling well-regarded shows like The OA and Tuca & Bertie certainly isn't increasing goodwill toward their brand. (Netflix also structures their contracts so that everyone gets a big pay bump after season 3; now that they've basically said their algorithm has decided shows should be two seasons max, they might have trouble getting talent to agree to those terms.)

I think Disney's probably going to sell their stake in A&E Networks, which is a joint venture between them and Hearst. They've already agreed to divest themselves of some of those networks in Europe, but honestly I think they're probably going to get out of it globally. For all the talk about Disney buying up everything and becoming a monopoly — and a lot of people have severely soured on Disney since the Fox acquisition — I think they're actually pretty likely to start streamlining their operations and get rid of media assets that don't align with their core mission.

Some of those A&EN shows have an audience — Live PD is the most DVR'd show on television, even though most people have never heard of it — but I don't think they're very...good. A&E has come a long way since standing for Arts & Entertainment; it's basically TLC now. I don't think programming that tilts toward puerile interests, like Hoarders or Intervention or The Toe Bro — yes, A&E does tragically have a show called The Toe Bro, about a specialist who fixes people's disgusting toes, which are of course photographed in all their glory — fits the Disney brand, which is why Disney does not promote A&EN as one of its brands. And History has shows like Ancient Aliens. And Viceland has shows like Action Bronson Watches Ancient Aliens. Which I'm sure is quality stoner television, but I don't think that's really part of Disney's...brand.

You can basically divide Disney's media assets into the ones that Disney puts under the Disney umbrella and the ones that Disney keeps at arms length, and I think any of the ones that Disney keeps at arms length are potentially sales opportunities. Like, Disney owns 16% of Vice Media. And that's fine. But they also have really expensive plans for Disney+ and their theme parks and their feature films. So I think we'll see Disney start to lose some of those extraneous assets to fund the onslaught of original programming on Disney+, which is far more important to Disney's future.

I'd, personally, have an easier time being a Disney fan if Disney got out of A&EN. For a whole host of reasons.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-24, 18:19

Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure Disney will put much attention on A&E. There's already an Apple TV app for that that is separate from the Disney app, and it doesn't appear that Disney is dragging any of that content into Disney+—at least not at this point. But, it doesn't matter. I don't think A&E could stand on it's own, i.e. there's not enough audience potential for it as a $7/month service or whatever. Personally, I think they would be better served dumping it on a Netflix or someone that needs/wants more depth within their catalogue. Disney has no need for it.

One thing I'm pretty sure of: The actual willing-to-pay-for-it market for reality shows is down near zero. Those things are all going to wind up being YouTube fodder. The quality, eye-popping, attention-holding stuff will at first be held by Disney+; maybe by Paramount or CBS (with the Star Trek property, which would make for a very successful $7/mo thing all by itself); Netflix may survive on home-grown shows—but they need a super-hit to drive their nail in—and "story-porn". NBC Universal will keep pace with deep pockets and a large catalogue; and who else? Most of the other players are all owned by someone else. Those 300+ cable channels will be worth nothing without large cable company contracts, and no one will want them. I think we're going to wind up with Disney+, Apple TV+, NBC+, CBS/Paramount+, PBS, Netflix, Amazon, and Google (maybe)/YouTube as the heavy-hitters. Everyone else will have to develop their own apps and hope for subscribers, or die trying. Sports will be another story altogether, and "news" channels like CNN and Fox are as likely to dry up and blow away as the Shopping Network is, although they do have lots of loyal party-supporters and may survive as independent "apps" that are ad-driven.

Man, just thinking about it, the audience for ads is going to get very small—unless the big guys can manage to suck us in and then start shoving ads at us the way HBO, Cinemax, and Starz did back in the 80's/90's.

Edit: You know, I've never really watched the Simpsons, mostly because A) I didn't have or want to make the time; B) I didn't have TV; or C) I didn't want to watch ads. Now, Disney+ brings out all 30 years worth, ad-free (we think), and without those it's about 18 minutes per episode!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-24, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Those 300+ cable channels will be worth nothing without large cable company contracts, and no one will want them.

[...]

Everyone else will have to develop their own apps and hope for subscribers, or die trying.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Most of the cable channels are owned by the big studios, who could absorb their content into their streaming services, but not all of them are — most notably, the AMC and Discovery families of networks aren't. Does that mean AMC has to launch AMC+, and Discovery has to launch Discovery+? Without having these direct lines to peoples' wallets, are they doomed to die, or else get bought out by companies that do have that line?

Maybe, but I'm not sure. I think we'll see a distinction between "premium" exclusive content and non-exclusive content. Disney+ is built on being the exclusive home for content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic — those are the five icons on the home screen. But Disney also owns ABC, and Freeform, and the FX family of networks. What will they do with these brands? Will they try to make FX into a true premium network and sell subscriptions to FX+? Actually, they did just the opposite. They recently shut down FX+, after it launched under Fox ownership a year ago. They moved the content into Hulu.

That Hulu still exists as a separate service in addition to Disney+ is maybe a hint as to how Disney thinks this is all going to shake out. Disney is investing in original content for Freeform, but they know better than to try to launch Freeform+. I think there will still be services that aggregate and deliver non-exclusive content, that effectively manage a bunch of bulk content subscriptions for their subscribers. Nobody wants to deal with a bunch of $0.99 or $1.99/month subscriptions. If you're a "mid-level" cable network, you could instead work out a deal to put that content on Hulu and you might make more money in total even if you get less from each individual subscriber.

My biggest worry is actually ESPN. ESPN's business is built on getting super high carriage rates; they get well over $7 for the base channel alone from each cable subscriber, including many who may not ever watch ESPN. If they are forced to only charge subscribers who are specifically subscribing to ESPN, they'd have to charge significantly more, which might well be more than the market is willing to pay, even for desirable sports content. I just don't see how they'll be able to afford to offer their same depth of sports content in a post-cable future, even without considering that all the leagues are starting their own networks and subscription services.

Last edited by Robo : 2019-08-24 at 21:05.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-24, 21:24

I am a huge fan of The OA. It's probably the only show I've binged watched in years. My wife doesn't care for it but once it came out, I gobbled up the entire season in a week. It's such a good show that it does bear rewatching.

And, of course, they canceled it. At this point, Netflix is only around because of inertia. If it got cut, I'm not sure we'd miss it much. I wouldn't have thought that possible last year.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-24, 21:37

Yeah, I think Netflix is in for a bit of a reckoning. Every time I use Netflix I see the little “N” icon on a bunch of cheap-looking shows I’ve never heard of, but I’m not sure quantity over quality is going to work for them. They need more buzzy shows. Eight episodes of Stranger Things every other year isn’t going to be enough.

It doesn’t help that they’ve raised rates while shedding content.

But El Camino is a good get, I guess.

•••

I’m pretty surprised that Disney is putting the “live-action” Lady and the Tramp remake on Disney+. That’s a movie that could have made a lot of money in theaters.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-26, 14:25

Disney announced She-Hulk and Moon Night and Ms. Marvel series for Disney+, as well as an untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi series starring Ewan McGregor. And a Hannah Montana revival.

All of these shows aren’t dropping this fall, of course, but it seems like they have just a huge amount of content coming to D+, especially from Marvel.

•••

Quote:
On the Apple TV+ front, Bloomberg reports that it’ll be $9.99/mo, which is what I expected, and that it will launch with five shows: Amazing Stories, The Morning Show, See, Truth be Told and the documentary series Home. That’s…not a lot for a service that doesn’t have library content.
Apple has released a trailer for Dickinson that ends by saying the show is coming “this fall.” Dickinson was not one of the shows in the Bloomberg report, so we know that list of launch shows is at the very least not a complete list.

¡Damned!

2019-08-26, 14:52

Quote:
•••
I didn't get the memo, again (thanks murbot! ), but are we doing these now? Drew got the points, you're grabbing bullets... I guess I want.... tildes?

~ ~ ~

I call tildes!

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-26, 15:13

Quote:
Yeah, I think Netflix is in for a bit of a reckoning. Every time I use Netflix I see the little “N” icon on a bunch of cheap-looking shows I’ve never heard of….
They purchased a bunch of garbage from someone. No idea who, but they must figure it gives them a larger library of b-movies that some body () watches.

Quote:
I don't think that's necessarily true.
Come on! Who's going to subscribe to C-SPAN?

Quote:
Disney announced She-Hulk
Giant green muscle women? Hmmm…

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I call tildes!
I've got "—" locked up!

¡Damned!

2019-08-26, 18:28

I don't know that much about these people, I admit. But I've read some OOOHHH AHHHH NIIIICCE shit in the fanbase world that makes me a bit excited. It's fun regardless to learn about new characters.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-27, 10:20

Now it's only $3.92 a month if you prepay for Disney+*. I'm thinking this is going to be huge and might even force other services to lower their price point.

*Valid only from August 26, 2019 through September 2, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-27, 11:04

Man. Either Disney is expecting to have 80 billion people sign up for this thing and they're trying to get ahead of the game with some early enticement, or they're worried that no one will sign up at all?

I doubt it's the second thing. They know everyone is going to sign up! I think they're trying to get in a few early takers to cover some costs associated with finalizing the build-out, while simultaneously relieving a bit of the early-adopter burden that will happen when this little sucker goes live. Can you say, "server crash."?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-27, 11:54

If you search around the news you'll also see that Disney is actively trying to put a stop to credential sharing. They want everyone/family to have their own login. Where Netflix turns a blind eye to it, Disney put it in crosshairs.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-27, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Now it's only $3.92 a month if you prepay for Disney+*. I'm thinking this is going to be huge and might even force other services to lower their price point.

*Valid only from August 26, 2019 through September 2, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT.
I'm confused about the link you shared, Tony. I don't see a place to sign up for Disney+ only D23, whatever that is.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-27, 22:01

You have to be a member of D23 to get the deal. Apparently it is free to join. I'm not joining and not paying Disney for Disney+. I do know that reports are that they have already crashed pretty hard under the load of early subscription attempts.

It looks like you just follow the steps on the big image when you go to that link:

Given it may take 36 hours according to that image for the link to show up, I'd join earlier over later if you want the service.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-11-11, 19:12

I managed to grab this deal when it came out.

Now I'm wondering when I can download the app for Apple TV!!!