User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple in your den, pocket, etc...cell phone next?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple in your den, pocket, etc...cell phone next?
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-09-12, 20:12

Steve Jobs made a point to show the graphic which pointed out how Apple has become ubiquitous in our lives...except the only obvious thing missing would be a cell phone. I know this has been debated a lot, but the fact that Steve Jobs specifically pointed that all out, and PRE-announced the iTV, could possibly mean that MWSF will see the unveiling of more consumer electronic devices from Apple.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-09-12, 20:37

Aren't there enough iPhone threads?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-12, 20:57

What? Steve Jobs literally pointed out the lack of a cell phone?
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-12, 21:07

I think it'll stop with the Cell Phone. From there Apple will continue to tweak and fiddle to get things to work with each other as best as possible whilst still adding new feature as applicable. There really isn't much of a reason for Apple to make other devices past what they are making. Personally, I don't even think they should be making the iTV, but I think it will still succeed and when it does it will greatly help Apple's image and brand.

Just as long as their computers don't get overshadowed(they already are somewhat, but it's not too bad)

I suppose Apple could expand their Cell Phone to become a line of Cell Phones, from a fairly basic one(with no screen to a fully functional PDA smart phone type one. But I don't see what other 'consumer devices' they'd be interested in.
Rabbit

2006-09-13, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
Steve Jobs made a point to show the graphic which pointed out how Apple has become ubiquitous in our lives...except the only obvious thing missing would be a cell phone. I know this has been debated a lot, but the fact that Steve Jobs specifically pointed that all out, and PRE-announced the iTV, could possibly mean that MWSF will see the unveiling of more consumer electronic devices from Apple.
I feel the same way. MWSF will most likely be about Leopard, iWork '07, and "one more thing"; either the iPhone or a video iPod/tablet type device.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-13, 13:24

MSWF: Leopard, iWork '07, iTV, and one more thing.

I don't think it's possible that the Q1 '07 release of iTV will be missed at MSWF. Consider that a guaranteed item for discussion.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-13, 13:24

In 2009 we'll still be saying "chances are, they will roll out some cool tablet sort of thing at MWSF '10...".

We've been talking about/expecting this "iTab" for, what, about two-plus solid years now?

Although, in light of all that's happening, I suppose if it was going to happen, this would be the era and timeframe, what with their branching out into seemingly every aspect of our lives, and getting more into the whole consumer electronics thing.

Who knows...maybe this time next year - September 2007 - we'll be using our iTV boxes, talking on Apple cell phones and toting around little iNewtons. I guess it's not too off the wall to imagine...

sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-09-13, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Who knows...maybe this time next year - September 2007 - we'll be using our iTV boxes, talking on Apple cell phones and toting around little iNewtons. I guess it's not too off the wall to imagine...

Hey, you... get outta my head. There's only room for one in here.
Reid

2006-09-13, 14:55

2 years? Try since the death of the Newton.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-13, 15:06

Well, two years in serious, OS X/iEra talk...it's REALLY ratcheted up, with patent drawings, etc. It actually, now, seems like something Apple might do, vs. five or so years ago.

I realize it's been long desired, but it now drives serious, heated and breathless discussion and speculation.

I mean, when they go their longstanding pattern of secrecy and tight lips and pull the lid off an unreleased product MONTHS in advance (like the iTV), then you have to figure ANYTHING is possible now.

It certainly isn't the Apple of 2-4 years ago, is it? They're making good commercials, they're embracing TV (something people said Jobs would never do), etc.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-09-13, 15:42

I think by now Apple could technically do anything.

I have these visions of half of the people in Cupertino making up and patenting insanely great ideas (say, iPod onan featuring negative dimensions), and the other half debating timing dilemmas...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-13, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post
I think by now Apple could technically do anything.

I have these visions of half of the people in Cupertino making up and patenting insanely great ideas (say, iPod onan featuring negative dimensions), and the other half debating timing dilemmas...
I think the iPod onan would have to come with its own wetsuit.

BTW, anyone else recognize that the iTV could be a start towards a *usable* wireless display that was such a flop on the PC side? ie, make a tablet-esque version of the iTV with 802.11n, enough horsepower to decode the video stream, and a touchscreen. CPU and storage on the network, display and input in your hand. Toss in resolution independence, and it starts to get fun.
Reid

2006-09-13, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
BTW, anyone else recognize that the iTV could be a start towards a *usable* wireless display that was such a flop on the PC side? ie, make a tablet-esque version of the iTV with 802.11n, enough horsepower to decode the video stream, and a touchscreen. CPU and storage on the network, display and input in your hand. Toss in resolution independence, and it starts to get fun.
I don't know about a tablet iTV, but this MacRumors post indicated that there might be a wireless usb/hdmi transmitter dongle thingy that could act as kind of a LocationFree TV solution. Say you don't want to run yet another cable up to your wall-mounted plasma, or ceiling-mounted projector... this could beam the video signal from the iTV to your screen.

The rest of the post was so spot-on with what was announced, that I wonder if there's any truth to it?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-09-13, 17:06

Ooh, ooh! could it be the i****, the e****, the v**** and all that Kormac crap from years gone by that never came true despite the quixotic insistence of his great cult following will show up with the iPhone and xMac at MWSF?!! RLY?!

OK< sorry. I think they'll build off of the iTV concept for a while. There are a lot of places it could go, and probably should to be a really compelling solution.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-13, 17:08

What, that TubePort??

No, what they were describing was iTV + a USB dongle that would go on your host computer. My guess is that it's a way to retrofit 802.11n onto computers that don't currently have it. (And they were a bit off with the $99 price point...)
phoenix_gr

2006-09-13, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I suppose Apple could expand their Cell Phone to become a line of Cell Phones, from a fairly basic one(with no screen to a fully functional PDA smart phone type one. But I don't see what other 'consumer devices' they'd be interested in.
A cell phone with no screen would be a disaster for apple, how do you know what you are typing in, phone book, TXT messages, i think apple would be hard pressed to sell one single screen less cell phone
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-09-13, 21:30

<--denotes joke
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-09-13, 21:34

TTIWWP!

Check it:
Quote:
One reliable MacRumors.com source has provided a more detailed description of one of the prototypes for the upcoming Apple Phone. The description has yielded this artist's rendition of the phone. The phone offers a familiar look to iPod owners, with the preservation of the iPod click-wheel.

The click-wheel is closer to the bottom of the device with the screen taking a vertical orientation. The click-wheel portion of the device reportedly slides down to reveal a traditional numeric dial-pad underneath. The front is black, while the back is chrome like the current iPod.

As an artist rendition, details such as the exact proportions of the screen are not necessarily accurate.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-13, 22:01

I like it.

Anyone else notice the addition of search-on-iPod Monday that uses the scroll wheel to enter text? I still maintain that a scroll wheel is really all you need on a phone, and better suited for the most common use patterns.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-13, 22:44

Quote:
I like it.

Anyone else notice the addition of search-on-iPod Monday that uses the scroll wheel to enter text? I still maintain that a scroll wheel is really all you need on a phone, and better suited for the most common use patterns.
hell no. typing in a phone number will always be easier and quicker with a number pad than a scroll wheel.

form over function
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-13, 22:53

Hahaha, that iPhone is exactly what I've been saying any iPhone would be like. Taller screen, clickwheel to the bottom of the device, slide-out keypad, etc.

I don't want to brag, but...after this, and totally nailing the 5.5G iPod, I feel like I'm on a roll.

Of course, nothing about the iPhone is official. Yet...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-09-13, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
hell no. typing in a phone number will always be easier and quicker with a number pad than a scroll wheel.

form over function
Although it would be retro bad ass to have a rotary dial image that you dialed to call someone.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-13, 23:10

Exactly.

Edit: We are showing our age though, alci.

Edit 2: How many calls a week do I make to completely unknown numbers? 1 at most.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-13, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post

form over function
Exactly my point. How many times do you type in the number on a modern cell phone? Once. How many times do you *RECALL* the number from a list? All the time.

Function dictates a scroll wheel, for the common case.

The current keypad is optimized for numeric entry, but SUCKS for recall. Since recall from a list is now the most common method for selecting a number to dial, it should take precedence.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-09-14, 00:15

Even on my PDA phone I used the "D" pad far more than typing in a number. I think a click wheel would be great, most of your contact info will go in via Address Book on your Mac anyway. Few people will feel the pain of scroll-wheel dialing who use a Mac/PC to sync the phone.

As for things like Text messaging and stuff, T9 and pre-entered text will simplify that too. I don't think a scroll-wheel based entry will be that bad. A BT keyboard would be helpful at times though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-14, 00:19

Excellent point about Address Book - I find the synced data to be much more useful and *used* than what I run into 'in the wild'.

And the more data you sync, the more you need a quick way to find the data. The scroll wheel certainly fits the bill there.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-09-14, 01:31

Enter Macman:
"It's just the Mac under your bed...In your pocket, in your hand."

joveblue
Veteran Member

2006-09-14, 02:21

Quote:
Exactly my point. How many times do you type in the number on a modern cell phone? Once. How many times do you *RECALL* the number from a list? All the time.

Function dictates a scroll wheel, for the common case.

The current keypad is optimized for numeric entry, but SUCKS for recall. Since recall from a list is now the most common method for selecting a number to dial, it should take precedence.
Try typing out an SMS on a clickwheel... There is no way anyone* would want a phone without a keypad.

*most people
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-09-14, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakbyrd View Post
Enter Macman:
"It's just the Mac under your bed...In your pocket, in your hand."

Enter iSight!
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-09-14, 08:15

I'm waiting on an Apple food processor and lawn mower.

[I would jump on that phone so fast ...]