User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Can't start up quad G5 from Cinema display

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can't start up quad G5 from Cinema display
jbaugh

2005-12-04, 19:19

I just got my new quad G5. I'm very happy with it overall. But I have one annoying problem.
I have it connected to my ADC 21 inch Apple Cinema Display with an Apple DVI to ADC adaptor.
The problem: I can't start up the G5 by pressing the power button on the Cinema Display. The touch sensitive button activates, but the computer does not start up. I have to press the startup button on the front of the G5 for it to start up. This is not a major inconvenience. But if it is supposed to work, why doesn't it?

The same setup works fine when connected to my Titanium PB. Pressing the power button on the cinema display will either startup my PB or give me a dialogue asking if I want to shut down if the computer is running.

I have been on the phone with Apple Techinical Support for over an hour. They don't know.
The technician said that "maybe" the problem is that the model of Cinema Display I have is too old to power on the quad G5. This seems unlikely. After all, it works fine on my PowerBook.

I've posted at the Apple Support Forums but no word yet.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
John
flail

2005-12-04, 19:42

No solutions here, but with my ADC 20 inch Apple Cinema Display, the power button does nothing as well. I've only tried it using my rev. d 12" PB (I'm also using a ADC>DVI converter) It activates (lights up), but nothing happens at all. I wish I could at least put the display to sleep. The brightness button on the left bottom corner of the display works fine, bringing up the system preferences.
SpecMode
Wait what

2005-12-04, 21:13

Maybe a native ADC connection carries some sort of auxiliary signal (aside from video) that transmits power on/off commands to the Mac, something likely not supported using an ADC-DVI connector. I'm guessing you have to be using a video card with an actual ADC connector for that feature to work.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-12-04, 21:28

<rant> PUT A POWER BUTTON BACK ON THE KEYBOARD! PLEASE!!!</rant>

I booted up my G3 the other day. Ooh, I forgot how much I miss that button.
jbaugh

2005-12-04, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode
Maybe a native ADC connection carries some sort of auxiliary signal (aside from video) that transmits power on/off commands to the Mac, something likely not supported using an ADC-DVI connector. I'm guessing you have to be using a video card with an actual ADC connector for that feature to work.
This could be so. But I don't think that explains why the display's power button works with my PowerBook (800 Mhz Titanium) but not with the new G5.
John
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-12-05, 01:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
<rant> PUT A POWER BUTTON BACK ON THE KEYBOARD! PLEASE!!!</rant>
Can USB do that?
shamansanchez

2005-12-05, 02:17

I'm pretty sure it can; the keyboard I use with my PowerBook has one, and it works fine.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-05, 02:21

It can, before I switched to a non-Apple keyboard I started my G4 PowerMac with my USB keyboard all the time.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-12-05, 10:25

System preferences>displays>options.

All the good stuff is there.