User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Star Trek XI (Coming in 2008, err, 2009)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Star Trek XI (Coming in 2008, err, 2009)
Page 8 of 16 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
rampancy

2008-11-17, 19:29

For anyone curious about the design of the USS Kelvin, Intel has posted up a promotional site with some desktops of it at a slightly more revealing angle. You can also get them here, too.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Wrao
Yarp

2008-11-17, 19:31

The Low-quality Youtube version of the trailer made the movie look pretty stupid. The HD quality official version made the movie look exciting.
¡Damned!

2008-11-17, 20:21

The trailer is pretty sweet, but I'm having a hard time putting JTK in a new troubled-bad-boy light. I mean, sure, he's always been kind of a self-absorbed cock, but I always attributed that to a silver-spoon upbringing. Of course the two aren't mutually exclusive, but I've always kind of liked Kirk because I hated his bravado...kind of screwy in a weird way, I know, but the idea of feeling any sort of sympathy for him blows my preconceived notions. I've always felt more of a brotherhood with Spock, if truth be told.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2008-11-17, 20:32

That said, I think Zachary Quinto is an awesome casting choice for Spock.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-11-17, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
The Low-quality Youtube version of the trailer made the movie look pretty stupid. The HD quality official version made the movie look exciting.
This is why we wait.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-11-17, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
This is why we wait.
Personally, I am not interested in the new movie hardly at all, so I figured the youtube trailer would satisfy the length of my curiosity. Only watched the HD one because I like watching HD footage, and this seemed as good as any to view, and now my interest level has escalated slightly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-11-17, 22:03

The trailer in HD was enough to make me interested. I've enjoyed Trek movies though I think that last one I saw involved transparent aluminum and whales. I really don't remember which one that is. Anyway, I did like the trailers and would likely enjoy the movie. Certainly on the big screen.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-11-17, 22:08

I love that Syler is Spock.

I also loved the way they hid that the police bike was a hover bike.

Found the Enterprise being built in an earth based yard interesting, but not that believable.

Not so sure about Kirk, but overall the action scenes make it look much more like the original Trek than anything else.. almost reminded me of the trailers for Mass Effect!!

Oh, and note to director.. If you are going to hang a kid off the "Grand Canyon", don't make it so obvious that he's attached by the waist on a rotating harness!!!

Overall, colour me impressed and enthusiastic.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
¡Damned!

2008-11-17, 22:22

I don't think that was the Grand Canyon. The rocks were too square-ish. Probably a strip mine of some sort.

That said, I don't trust JJ Abrams. He built his fame on wrapping two of the worst shows on TV around two of the worst actresses of our generation. I give him props for LOST, but I think that even got away from him because he never had a good idea of where it was going in the first place.

In fact, I think Cloverfield was Abrams at his finest....if only because it was essentially a season of TV condensed into 90 minutes. Basically: "Hey, I like you HOLY SHIT MONSTER hey I like you too HOLY SHIT DON'T GET STEPPED ON do you think we might FUCKING LOOK OUT might be cool if we OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK the end."

His new series sucks rectum too.

I don't know, I have modestly high hopes, but movie trailers have a tendency to make everything look good.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2008-11-17, 22:29

Oh, and "Hello, Computer."

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-17, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Because it's not called Star Trek XI. The only people calling it XI are the fans. In every official capacity, the name of this movie is simply "Star Trek." No subtitle, either, which every Trek movie has had until now, even the first one.
That's another dead giveaway of a reboot, right there.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-17, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I don't think that was the Grand Canyon. The rocks were too square-ish. Probably a strip mine of some sort.
It's somewhere in Iowa, according to a story (two) linked off of AICN (twp reports from the press event where 20 minutes/four scenes of complete footage shown in the UK last week, where both Abrams and Pegg were present and took questions and set the four clips up before each one played), and the trailer was shown/discussed too.

From the article at EmpireOnline:

Quote:
The trailer for Star Trek starts off looking more like a 70s road movie, as a young Kirk drives a beat-up old Chevy round the ranges of Iowa in search of a few thrills before over-estimating his own braking power. Pretty soon his wheels are plunging a few thousand feet and he's being rescued from a literal cliff-hanging situation by a rather robotic-looking Iowa traffic cop, who's just descended from his floating ride to help the young rebel out. They're really going for the 'bad boy' bit with this Kirk, as we shall find out in the full-length scenes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-11-17, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It's somewhere in Iowa
Without reading the full story you reference, Iowa makes perfect sense given that Kirk (at least, the old Kirk) is from Iowa and the car he was driving had Iowa plates.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-17, 23:55

Yep. I didn't know about the "where Kirk's from" stuff, but I noticed the plates (in addition to the story from the press screening last week of the four clips and trailer).

Also, you can see large structures on the horizon, very faint and hazy. I assume those are the ship-building factories? If not, then they're gigantic structures for something (futuristic, mile-high corn silos?)

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-11-17, 23:57

Quote:
(futuristic, mile-high corn silos?)
Of course!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-11-18, 00:08

I'm not really sure where this portrayal of Kirk as a rebellious teen comes from. In the original canon, we know he had the whole Tarsus IV incident in his past at 14, which lead to him not wanting to go into space again due to, y'know, seeing a crapton of people executed. That's one heck of an introduction to frontier life. I've always figured it would take a serious incident to get him to join the Academy and go into space (Diane Carey's Trek novel Best Destiny portrays this fairly well, I think) after having such an awful first experience. But it doesn't seem like this movie is going to provide much of a "Reason for him to be a captain", instead it will just show him acting as a captain with only some flimsy challenge explanation for why. But I want it to be well thought out and relative. What kind of enticement could lure someone whose first experience of space was a horrific, brutal place, to join the Academy and venture out there again and again? I'd like to see that as a movie, but I don't think that's what we're getting. I'd be surprised if Tarsus even gets mentioned

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-18, 00:16

I don't know enough canon/backstory (obviously; but it's a strong bet that J.J. Abrams doesn't either, from all we're seeing and hearing ), but I bet that sequence goes something like this:

- The cool corvette he's driving is stolen (no duh, he's a kid; and he doesn't seem too concerned with destroying such a fine piece of machinery, so it's obviously not his)
- His little stunt will get him tossed into juvenile detention or reform school, or whatever it's called, for a few years
- The scene later, the older Kirk on a motorcycle, is him returning to those structures to "turn his life around"

I guess we get insight into why Kirk is such an against-the-grain, order-ignoring rebel (every feature film pretty much has him ignoring his superiors and Starfleet to do something that winds up saving the day, or a whale). He was never punished - only rewarded - and it just led to him being able to afford better, fuller toupees as the movies progressed.

We're supposed to see that he comes by it honestly, being an incorrigible, car-stealing little shit as a kid.

Spock, meanwhile, is mind-melding with rocks and having wet dreams about physics theories on Vulcan as a child (and practicing that neck-pinch thing on unsuspecting classmates and neighbors).

BTW, that does not look anything like Eric Bana in the trailer ("The time has come!"). Yikes, that's some makeup!
Wrao
Yarp

2008-11-18, 00:24

I thought that the giant structure in the background was where they were building the enterprise, or otherwise some sort of space/starfleet related docking apparatus.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-18, 00:25

Yeah, I think they are. The "corn silo" thing was me being a hammerhead.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-11-18, 00:26

They provide a tremendous atmosphere to the shots though, whatever they are.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-18, 00:33

Exactly. Gives it just enough of a "wait...WTH is that in the background?" interest/vibe to make you curious and want to see the trailer through. They're huge (to be that far on the horizon and still that big and tall), so you instantly realize this is not some sequel to "Gone in 60 Seconds" or anything else set in the world we know (and the floating police bike is nicely hidden until the right time as well).

But it's subtle and not jumping out at you, which just makes it seem more real and "really there" (like that low-orbit Enterprise mockup from the previous page that I love so much).

Those four scenes that were shown in the UK last week were said to be complete: editing, music, CGI, etc. So if this thing is set to be released in early May, that's less than six months from now so they'll be pulling it all together (surely they've shot everything they need that involves actors and real sets, and it's down to CGI and editing at this point?) and I'm betting the full marketing push will kick in around (or just after) Christmas, slowly building throughout the first quarter of '09, and then finally going full-out by April (toys and merchandising in the stores, the usual fast food tie-ins - Subway? Taco Bell? Burger King? "Can I get a Double Warper with cheese?" - and the actors starting to pop up on all the late-night talk shows leading up to May 9).

Should be interesting to follow, as more footage and info makes its way out.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-11-18 at 00:43.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-11-18, 02:27

Quote:
(toys and merchandising in the stores, the usual fast food tie-ins - Subway? Taco Bell? Burger King? "Can I get a Double Warper with cheese?" - and the actors starting to pop up on all the late-night talk shows leading up to May 9)
Funny you say that... Burger King has already signed up to do a campaign for the movie, hopefully something ridiculous like they did with Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-11-18, 06:19

That's not a straw... it's a drink with a wee jeffries tube!
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-11-18, 08:47

This movie better be worth them pushing it back from Christmas this year until May the next, or somebody's going to get their nuts twisted off.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2008-11-19, 14:48

On the topic of Star Trek movies, this week's episode of The Big Bang Theory had a hilarious scene in which the geeks argue over which is the worst Star Trek movie. And when I say hilarious, I mean it.

Can't find a YouTube clip, but it'd be worth buying the DVD just for that scene alone, which includes a jab at George Lucas and the Clone Wars saga:

Sheldon: "I’m sorry, but I’m not going to watch the Clone Wars TV series until I’ve seen the Clone Wars Movie. I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-19, 15:21

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've watched quite a few of those "Clone Wars" espisodes on Cartoon Network and I gotta say: they're actually more enjoyable than any of the three prequels.

It think it's because, going in, you picture it as a "cartoon", so the direct, "light 'n' snappy" dialogue and way of talking doesn't annoy you like it would (and does) if it were flesh-and-blood actors talking that way.

Also, you expect (since it's all CGI, from top to bottom) outlandish sets, landscapes, views, angles, hardware, etc. They don't look "crammed in" or "inserted at the expense of plot/dialogue", or for CGI-ish "look what we can do!" hornblowing/jacking off. And, again, it works for an animated TV show. That little girl padawan is mildly annoying (but really no worse than Jake Lloyd or Anakin in "Episode II"), but the clones are bad-ass and cool, Obi-Wan is good, the action and pacing really scoots along (it's not boring) and, visually, it's quite eye-popping. It looks great.

No, I wouldn't want to pay $8-9 and sit through two-plus hours of it. But the occasional, random 30-minute installment with lots of blaster and light saber fights and stuff blowing up (with familiar sound effects, set designs and tight, fast-moving stories that are wrapped up in half-and-hour)? Sure!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-11-20, 17:43

It doesn't take a fortune in CGI to set the imagination free.

This Falcon is $3 and the TIEs are probably $1 each

and could that be a Washington II-class Enterprise?

Source on Deviantart

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-11-27, 07:51

Aaaaand... AICN has links to a new QT HD version of the trailer... with one extra scene at the end.

Spoiler (click to toggle):

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
rampancy

2008-11-27, 09:25

Quote:
He was never punished - only rewarded - and it just led to him being able to afford better, fuller toupees as the movies progressed.
Well, there was that one time that he got demoted from Admiral down to Captain after Star Trek II (mind you, it wasn't really much of an actual "punishment" for him).

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-12-04, 18:18

The official website has been updated...
  • now Flash-ified with pointless corridor flythroughs
  • now using 'Okudagram' interface cues...