User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Weird red Finder icon on login; QuickSilver related?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Weird red Finder icon on login; QuickSilver related?
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-03-03, 21:13

When I logged into my old iMac, which I don't use any longer, but the rest of my family does, I saw something that really worried me. You know how when QuikSilver launches when you log in? Well I saw a red FINDER icon appear the same way as the the QS logo- it faded on for about three seconds, then faded out. I'm worried that this could be a very bad Finder-infiltrating virus. If anyone has seen or heard anything about this, please tell me!
hotch

2006-03-03, 22:47

no... not a known virus

do an archive and install on the system with your os x disc, then slowly remove the tin foil from your head
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-03, 22:53

I have no idea what it is except to say that it's most definitely not a virus.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-04, 04:21

It's probably just a feature/problem with QuickSilver. Why not have your family disable QS and see if it persists?

Moving to Genius Bar...
Renaming to something less useless...

A reminder:
Quote:
Be descriptive with the title of new threads. Do not start a thread with an ambiguous title like "Guess what..." or "Help!" and then use the text portion of the post to explain. Do not give threads misleading titles in an attempt to gain more views. Give your post a headline. This courtesy is especially appreciated in the more highly trafficked forums.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
albeik

2006-12-31, 16:53

Hate to bump this up. I just noticed this on my 20" iMac (intel) when I logged in. Did anyone figure out what it is?

Thanks!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-31, 16:56

Screenshot?
Blue Light Bandit

2007-01-01, 15:39

It's caused by QuickSilver.

http://blacktree.cocoaforge.com/foru...pic.php?t=4395

Regards