AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

XCode 3.0 feedback...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
XCode 3.0 feedback...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-10-28, 23:18

Just found some time to play with this this week.. I was in the middle of a project up until now, so really did not want to change over until I got to a place I could draw a line under.

I am presuming everyone is aware it's on ADC.

I plan to post impressions and so on here later this week, but wondered if anyone else has had any nightmares or epiphanies so far?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-10-29, 06:53

I've installed it, but I've not tried it out yet. I probably won't have time to for a few more weeks.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-10-29, 07:23

No worries.. Perhaps we can both meet back here at some point in the future with some views, once we know what we are talking about!

I am very excited about some of the new features, but guess it'll be a few days into using it on a new project that I'll get to use them extensively.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-10-29, 07:32

Is the ADC version somehow newer than the one that comes on the Leopard install disc? I've installed Leopard + dev tools but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

I need to come up with a new project to do to try it out.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-10-29, 08:31

It's the same..

My problem is my next project I am prototyping on Unity as I have been offered a chance to play with that and give feedback. So I also need to think of an excuse to get stuck into the new XCode, and also find the time to play with both of those apps!

Believe it or not, I have not got round to installing Leopard yet.. I am not happy about the new Dock, and also want to wait until I have picked up a couple of new external drives to use Time Machine properly.

I have to say I don't see what all the fuss about the transparent menu bar is though.

Oh, and of course if I do have even an ounce of spare time I want to play with some unofficial iPhone development!

RobUSVI

2007-11-05, 06:39

I just started playing with it last weekend. So far, my only real gripe is the removal of the "debug" menuitem resulting in the various debug commands being spread out rather than all located in one easy to find place. I haven't started playing with IB yet, only Xcode.
Shades of Blue

2007-11-06, 08:48

They seem to have made a lot of changes to Interface Builder. The way you instantiate classes is different, and when you make changes to the actions and outlets in the header files, Interface Builder automatically recognizes the changes within a few seconds. It makes for a lot less busy-work than before.
King Kovifor

Send a message via AIM to King Kovifor Send a message via MSN to King Kovifor Send a message via Yahoo to King Kovifor  
2007-11-12, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUSVI View Post
I just started playing with it last weekend. So far, my only real gripe is the removal of the "debug" menuitem resulting in the various debug commands being spread out rather than all located in one easy to find place. I haven't started playing with IB yet, only Xcode.
This is a random thought, but just like Safari's "debug" command it may be turned off in settings not editable through Preferences. Go into the com.apple.Xcode.plist file (/users/~ Your Name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Xcode.plist) and look for that would not include that. Once you figure out the setting change * Change to Value * to that value and run it in terminal:

% defaults write com.apple.Xcode * Change to Value * 1

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
RobUSVI

2007-11-14, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovifor View Post
This is a random thought, but just like Safari's "debug" command it may be turned off in settings not editable through Preferences.
I will look, but I don't think so. They literally moved the various items that used to be in the debug menu drop down to other drop downs, and added a few buttons here and there to try and make up for it.