March Madness '08
Page 12 of 12 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12]  Thread Tools
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2008-04-08, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_bug View Post
YES! Yes yes yes.

The last time they did this, I was 8 years old, celebrating as my family (K-State fans) moaned in disgust. A long wait, but totally worth it!
See I just don't get that. I am a die-hard K-State fan and I yelled my hardest this year in Manhattan when we pummeled the (now national champion) hawks, but I still rooted for KU in the national championship game. It gives credibility to the Big XII and also to the teams that have beat them.

Maybe I'm weird or something, but it didn't make sense to root against the hawks tonight.

Also, WTF did T-Hanns still get the player of the year award? He was outmatched and outplayed by a backup freshman from KU, and barely managed to score 17 points after drawing foul after foul. Remember what Michael Beasley did to KU? Scored 25 the first game after being in bad foul trouble and 39 the second game. Guess which team needed who the most? Such shit that they gave the award to a pussy.
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2008-04-08, 00:55

Well, having one side of the family who all despised KU for whatever reasons (and tried to convert me into a K-State fan, essentially) only helped turn me to the dark side that much quicker.

I'm just glad that they managed to pull it off! The bulk of this team is probably going straight to the NBA after this game, Bill Self may not be able to resist the pull of T. Boone Pickens and his millions of petrodollars at O$U...there are only so many chances you get at a championship, and they were lucky enough to take it when the opportunity presented itself.

And it was great to see Roy in the stands cheering them on. Brought a few tears to my eye, that did.

WLP, how do you think Martin will do restocking the team when Beasley takes his rightful place as a top-3 pick in the upcoming draft? Did Huggins leave any recruiting connections behind in Manhattan after 2006-07, or did he haul them all up to Morgantown?

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
Partial
Stallion

2008-04-08, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Free throws got 'em. I knew it would happen eventually.
Agreed. I thought Michigan State would have put them online all day in the sweet 16 and beat them. At least somebody finally did.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-04-08, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
See I just don't get that. I am a die-hard K-State fan and I yelled my hardest this year in Manhattan when we pummeled the (now national champion) hawks, but I still rooted for KU in the national championship game. It gives credibility to the Big XII and also to the teams that have beat them.

Maybe I'm weird or something, but it didn't make sense to root against the hawks tonight.

Also, WTF did T-Hanns still get the player of the year award? He was outmatched and outplayed by a backup freshman from KU, and barely managed to score 17 points after drawing foul after foul. Remember what Michael Beasley did to KU? Scored 25 the first game after being in bad foul trouble and 39 the second game. Guess which team needed who the most? Such shit that they gave the award to a pussy.
Player of the Year is not player of the game. Hansborough deserved it as much as anyone. He was the best player on one of the best teams all year long.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2008-04-08, 10:00

Quote:
WLP, how do you think Martin will do restocking the team when Beasley takes his rightful place as a top-3 pick in the upcoming draft? Did Huggins leave any recruiting connections behind in Manhattan after 2006-07, or did he haul them all up to Morgantown?
The assistant coach Delonte Hill was their main connection to the AAU and DC area recruits, and he is still with K-State. We have a very young team, and we are adding a very fast point-guard who redshirted this year after being with Miami. He'll be a junior. We also have the possibility of Bill Walker staying... which would help a lot.

(Also, there have been some interesting things I've picked up from talking to some of Beasley's friends, as in it isn't set in stone that he is leaving. His mom just got a new job in town, he enrolled in classes next semester, stuff like that. He really likes college, so it isn't for sure that he is leaving... although that is probably just fantasy)
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-04-08, 20:39

Does anyone else think Stacey Dales is hot?

She doesn't seem to be hyphenated anymore, does this mean she's available?

There aren't really any good pics of her online, this is the best I could do. But the ESPN cameras love her.

Last edited by colivigan : 2008-04-08 at 21:13.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-07-14, 09:51

CBS is finally canning the waste of space that has become Billy Packer.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-14, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohn View Post
Does anyone else think Stacey Dales is hot?
She kinda looks like actress Teri Polo (Stiller's wife in "Meet the Parents/Fockers").

Or a slightly more attractive version of Amy Poehler (minus that strange, old woman mouth of Poehler's).

Even a Jodie Foster thing going on as well, in a couple of the above photos (the two on the right).
Mancomb Seepgood

2008-07-14, 10:27

They are still doing Gus Johnson dirty...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-07-14, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
Best news I've heard all day. And it's been a pretty good day.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-07-14, 10:51

Quote:
Hear that sound?

It's the sound of college basketball fans rejoicing, all over the nation.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2008-07-14, 13:40

Yes, finally.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-07-14, 13:44

Meh, he'll still be on the regional ACC stuff.
SKMDC

2008-07-14, 20:31

And he'll still be selling all kinds a shit.

He never even realized they played basketball in the middle west and west, I always like a tourney when his east coast teams suck it early and often. It paralyses him.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
lightning_bug

2008-07-14, 20:41

Thank [insert deity here]. x100.

Although his replacement leaves PUH-LENTY to be desired (Clark Kellogg )

CBS, why can't you just try Verne Lundquist and Bill Raftery for one Final Four? I know that the sheer awesomeness of the occasion would make the next year's team look weak and pathetic by comparison, but c'mon. Just one time.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-14, 22:07

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Best news I've heard all day. And it's been a pretty good day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Hear that sound? It's the sound of college basketball fans rejoicing, all over the nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ View Post
Yes, finally.
Quote:
Thank [insert deity here]. x100.

As someone who doesn't watch this stuff, what's the overall beef with this guy?

It's been ages since I've seen this many people here all on the same page about something...

Mancomb Seepgood

2008-07-14, 22:34

There are few people that rival Billy Packer's ego...

Last edited by Mancomb Seepgood : 2008-07-14 at 23:25.
SKMDC

2008-07-14, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

As someone who doesn't watch this stuff, what's the overall beef with this guy?

It's been ages since I've seen this many people here all on the same page about something...

He used to use all the code words to describe white and black athletes, if a black player showed court smarts, he would make note of it, if a white player was athletic he would make note of it, he also used monkey to describe a player and a few other coded slurs. In all fairness he was called on it and hasn't done it a long time, he's become quite enlightened.

However he's almost always condescending and talking down to the viewers. He also pretty much sucks all the joy and fun out of basketball. He's the Dark Queen to Dick Vitale's White Queen.

I mentioned the east coast bias thing as well. They all walk on water.

He has some good qualities, (not as a broadcaster) like his support of the player from the exploitation from the NCAA, but on the other hand he has magazines and camps and exploits them as well.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
lightning_bug

2008-07-14, 23:34

For a quick synopsis of what makes Billy Packer so uniquely charming, check out his Dickipedia page*.

What really galled me about Packer (besides his ability to suck the fun out of any game he called) was his incredibly obnoxious bias against mid-majors - in particular, when he called out St. Joseph's during the NCAA tournament selection show in 2004 when they received a #1 seed while they were interviewing St. Joseph's coach. Truly a rude, thoughtless little pig if there ever was one.

* Contents may not be entirely truthful. But really, it's close enough.

Mancomb Seepgood

2008-07-14, 23:53

This thread actually has me laughing.

An Apple rumor site is the last place I'd think to find Billy Packer bashing.

Keep up the good work...
Mancomb Seepgood

2008-07-15, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Meh, he'll still be on the regional ACC stuff.
Nope, no reason to worry. He's done with that too.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...asp?CID=826632
zsummers
Avast!

2008-07-15, 01:13

Quote:
For a quick synopsis of what makes Billy Packer so uniquely charming, check out his Dickipedia page*.

What really galled me about Packer (besides his ability to suck the fun out of any game he called) was his incredibly obnoxious bias against mid-majors - in particular, when he called out St. Joseph's during the NCAA tournament selection show in 2004 when they received a #1 seed while they were interviewing St. Joseph's coach. Truly a rude, thoughtless little pig if there ever was one.

* Contents may not be entirely truthful. But really, it's close enough.
Seconded. It's too bad my dad's birthday was yesterday: this would have been a perfect present. I can hear my dad--a quiet, former basketball coach--in his armchair right now, muttering quietly, "Billy, you idiot." If Billy's an idiot, it must be March.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-07-15, 06:25

Funny that some of you think Packer had an East Coast bias or that he hated the mid-majors. The perception with my fiancée, a Carolina fan, was that he hated Carolina and hated the ACC anyway. When he told people to change the channel and called out, "this game is OVAH!" in last year's Final Four game against Kansas, as out of reach as that game ultimately was, he the most ire he probably ever has from the Carolina fans. It would have been downright dangerous to walk into the Dean Dome again. I fully expected him to get an earful and maybe a bushel full of eggs and rotten tomatoes had he tried.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-07-16, 22:44

Sorry, I just had to...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-07-16, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancomb Seepgood View Post
Nope, no reason to worry. He's done with that too.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...asp?CID=826632
Hallelujah! He ruined all games he called. I've never heard anyone so negative in my life. From the opening tip, he'd be ragging on players.