User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Can Someone Help Me Setup PHP+MySQL+WordPress locally?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can Someone Help Me Setup PHP+MySQL+WordPress locally?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-11-23, 16:42

I'm an adequate programmer, but my sysadmin skills leave much to be desired. Leopard makes configuration more difficult (I assume this is a byproduct of Apache 2?) and I haven't been able to figure it out.

Now, I activated PHP by uncommenting the necessary line in the Apache httpd.conf file, but I don't know how to install MySQL (or how to check if it's installed to begin with) and that's a showstopper, since the goal is a working WordPress install

I've been doing all of this remotely, but that's a lot slower, introduces problems when I accidentally open a file in multiple editors (I'll open files in TextMate though Coda all the time) and it's a waste of bandwidth. If I could mirror the environment on my webserver in my sites folder, I would only have to publish when it's actually time to publish.

So, MySQL 5 on Leopard? Anyone?

Thanks

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-11-23, 17:28

I've installed MySQL on Leopard just fine, they provide a package format so it's quite easy. Heck, if you want to get all gritty-nitty, you can just compile it yourself.

I don't recall seeing an existing instance of MySQL on a standard installation (though I am sure it's included if you have a server license... but for a older version), so you can just head on over to MySQL, download the package format, and you're good to go.

(I'm afraid, however, I can't help out with configuring the Apache to use mysql, though I would mention that you should take steps to verify that your mysql installation is where Apache thinks it ought to be.)
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2008-11-23, 18:49

You don't need to configure apache to use mysql, and PHP should have the required built in drivers to connect to MySQL. It won't use the latest and greatest mysql driver, but it will do for something as simple as Wordpress.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Partial
Stallion

2008-11-24, 03:26

/usr/bin/mysql/ is where its located I'm sure. Add it to the $PATH.

Check if its there.