User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Looking for website feedback (wedding photography)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Looking for website feedback (wedding photography)
Page 3 of 4 Previous 1 2 [3] 4  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2008-11-12, 19:53

Looks pretty good on my end (Camino). There's a little oddness with a vertical line showing up between the info and nav panel, and, you know, I probably shouldn't say this after the Peter Garrett comment, but...that upper photo has to go (again) as it crosses the line between "Here we are outside!" and "Ima gonna rape her."

Looking nice, otherwise.

So it goes.
danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2008-11-13, 23:06

I went through rob's code today and I believe i found the culprit... one of the the tables was set to 800%.... rather then 100%... I also got rid of a couple tables which seem to fix a bug in firefox and one table on the top which now looks better over all (I think)
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-11-14, 05:35

Background music makes me think about Myspace, not professionals.
Enki

2008-11-14, 16:26

Personally, if a site I navigate to starts making noise without my asking or expecting it, I'm gone.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2008-11-14, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Daniel, I'm sure you're a fine photographer - but I'm not sure you're a great wedding photographer - yet. Looking at your pictures, I don't see that you're really capturing the joy that should be evident in a wedding. Take a look at this portfolio I found on photo.net, and compare these pics to yours:

Jennifer Catron

I have no idea who this lady is, but if I were hiring a wedding photographer and comparing her portfolio to yours (regardless of the website design), I choose her in a heartbeat. I hope you don't take my post as insulting, but I think you needed to hear it, especially if this is a direction you are moving in. Wedding photography is a tough business. This is the most important day in the life of most people, and they're often going to spend several thousand dollars to hire a photographer pretty much based on their portfolio. The website design is at best 5-10% of the choice, maybe less. It's really the portfolio that matters.
She just photographed my wedding. That's amazing. Especially because she was asking me if she could have help accessing her website. Too funny.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-11-14, 16:51

Background music = instant browser close.

Not cool. How many people have to say NO BACKGROUND MUSIC before you, you know, get rid of the music?

And yes, that pic at the top is a little odd.

IE6 has some crazy scroll bar across the top. What's that about? (Apart from IE6 being crap...work make me use it.)
Enki

2008-11-14, 18:31

I just had a glance through the portfolio, despite the music.

Loose the watermarks, it makes the photo's grotesque. Doesn't do anything for your work, just the opposite, it casts it in a bad light.

Just keep the sizes small enough and use compressed images so enlarging will make them look like crap but leave them looking nice and un-blemished on your site.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-11-14, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsza View Post
also i added back music... i know some people here don't like it...
No shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enki
Personally, if a site I navigate to starts making noise without my asking or expecting it, I'm gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt
Background music makes me think about Myspace, not professionals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue
Another vote for no music, this is not a Myspace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Music? AUGH. DIE DIE DIE. Auto-play music embedded on web pages belongs in the waste bin of the '90s along with "best in Browser X" images, Comic Sans, and animated divider GIFs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Auto-play music = me closing your website. Forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit
Oh and please don't have musak playing in your websites. Takes too long to load, and if I want music I'll choose it.
danielsza

2008-11-14, 19:02

I understand where you are all coming from, about the music playing. I know most people feel strongly about it. Having said that I'm not going to change my mind.

Everyone here has been a big help... I try to listen to what everyone says and then make my own decision.

Most of the content was just carried over from the old site... most of it is going to be updated... the watermarks are going to be different too... like the ones on the newest posts to the blog...

If there are any more bugs (like the ie6 scroll bar... that i'm gonna look into soon)... I would appreciate hearing about them...
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-11-16, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artap99 View Post
She just photographed my wedding. That's amazing. Especially because she was asking me if she could have help accessing her website. Too funny.
How did you find her?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-11-16, 08:23

Quote:
I understand where you are all coming from, about the music playing. I know most people feel strongly about it. Having said that I'm not going to change my mind.
Dude, if you're really serious about running a business, I really think you need to compromise here. If the music played for 10 seconds or so, I could take it. But to have it playing the whole time, it really gets on my nerves. It's that midi sound - so freakin' annoying. And it just goes on and on and on. People here are not just saying it to say it. The music has got to go or fade it out after 10 seconds.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-11-16, 08:54

Does anyone actually like web pages that autoplay music?

Honestly?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-11-16, 10:28

*looks at site*

*realizes people weren't kidding about the music*

*leaves*
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-11-16, 11:55

If there isn't an option to turn autoplay music off immediately, all you're doing is turning potential clients off.

'I don't care what my clients want, my autoplay midi wishes are more important... nyah nyah' generally isn't going to instill confidence about your level of customer service.

Your choice.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
danielsza

2008-11-16, 18:13

It can be turned off... There are a few different songs that will play. Non of them are midi's... would one of the other songs be better? there are ten to choose from.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-11-16, 18:28

If you make one of the tracks silence and set it as default, that would be my tip.

Seriously... with a discreetly hidden controller people not expecting sound are going to panic and kill the window rather than look for a stop button.

Are you offering audio picture frames with your photography or throwing in the dj for full wedding reception packages, or is this purely for 'sales atmosphere'?

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2008-11-16, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
How did you find her?
My wife did. She was searching for someone that would photograph a Virginia wedding
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-11-16, 19:23

Quote:
It can be turned off... There are a few different songs that will play. Non of them are midi's... would one of the other songs be better? there are ten to choose from.
The music is a real killer for your site. It made me want to close the window so fast, I didn't even go through the rest of the site. It's just the context of a web page - unless it's a web page for music, musicians, etc., it feels really weird to have music playing. Another vote for eliminating it altogether!

Edit: And another vote for losing the pic at the top. It seems really out of place. Put a wedding photo there - it's the product you're selling, so it should be the first thing you see! And I'd get rid of the water marks - you could always keep a copyright notice in the bottom corner if you want, but the coloured thing in the middle of the picture really takes away from the shots, IMO.

One more thing: I found the "Investment" heading to be a bit odd, because I thought it was for people to invest in your company or something... maybe you can come up with a better heading, or maybe it's just me...

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-11-16, 19:24

Quote:
What is the point here? Do you really think people are going to 1) see that teeny tiny player at the top of the screen and 2) bother to change the song? (Ok, so I went through each song. I like #6 the best, but I still wouldn't have any music playing.)
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-11-16, 19:34

Enough said about the music player. Let's talk about frames :P No serious, the music player could be done with a div absolute top...
danielsza

2008-11-16, 19:48

Rob said he didn't know of a way without using frames to have have it keep playing while browsing different pages... would that be possible using "div absolute top"?

If it is I'll pass it along and get him to change it...
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-11-16, 19:53

Another big NO to music.

Save the auto-play music for your MySpace page.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-11-16, 20:27

I like the overall look of your site though also have concerns about the music player.

1) Do you have copyright permission/licensing to play those tracks; getting the proper rights to do so; or did you make them yourself and already hold the copyright? Legal issue with using others music on your "company" site.

2) If you are insistent to make music play on your site then at least make the play start a 25-50% volume but NOT 100%! Dear god that was loud to open up the page to. Going from total quite in my living room to that was too much. You would never get my business because I would hit CMD-W out of survival instincts.

3) Personally I do believe you should make it a user selectable option that they can turn on if they so choose. Don't make me listen to your choice of music until I figure out where mute/pause is. Maybe save the music for slideshows and such, not the main page or mostly text pages. Not even the thumbnail pages. If you feel you must, at least 25-50% volume only. Please not 100%.

The problem with the main photo on the front page is that it isn't "formal" and that's what most couples are looking for. Sure, have a gallery with your more "down to earth" weddings, but they aren't your focus right? If they are then that's great, but otherwise that image should have something more formal in it. Black tux, white dress kind of thing.

I like most of the images you produce but also think the copyright watermark is a bit like putting iron bars on the windows. Sure you don't want your work stolen, but it looks like you're trying almost too hard and are being overzealous. You're images are only going to be 72dpi anyway and if kept inside the 800x800 size aren't going to look that great printed at all. I think you should give a little more on this one and put the watermark in the corner and not worry about theft as much since few people in the world would benefit from stealing one of those images.

Overall, I like your site though. It's overall theme is warm and inviting less the items noted above. I like the hiding gallery thumbnails too, but wonder if you can make one gallery hide again when opening a new gallery rather than have the page get really long. Keep at it and you'll have an awesome site. I'm personally glad you're shying away from the all Flash site. Sure it helps protect your IP, but god it is horrible to have to navigate through.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
danielsza

2008-11-16, 20:33

1) Yes I have a license for all the music I play... It wasn't that much $300 for a 99 years for ten songs...

2) I'll try doing that right now... it sounds like a good idea

3) I'm going to change much of the content soon... All of the old watermarks are going to be gone... they just got carried over from the old site...

from now on it'll look like this
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-11-16, 20:35

Much better on the watermark.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-11-16, 21:02

Ok. It's good to be different? right?........right?.

well personally i liked the auto music (shock horror) and overall the site was good..............Running out the door (dodges bottle, and a brick) slams door shut behind....... Phew!

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
danielsza

2008-11-16, 21:03

I can't believe it... someone on applenova liked the music... I think it's time to go buy a lottery ticket or something...
danielsza

2008-11-16, 22:34

I've set the volume to 5%... it does seem too loud on my Macbook Pro with the volume turned right up...

does turtle2472 or anyone else think the new default volume is good?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-11-16, 22:47

It's certainly an improvement, but I still don't see why your site needs it. The music distracts too much from the pictures.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-11-16, 23:03

Oh. My. God. Turn off the fucking music man! You've even gone to lengths to make sure that the music *continues* playing by using frames?!? Are you kidding?

Seriously. As everyone else has said auto-play music = bad. No matter who does it. Autoplay any sound at all is bad. Even when Apple had that Mac/PC ad play on their site, we complained about it. And it was Apple!

Lose the music. Seriously. You can't possibly take any other feedback to heart if you won't address the overwhelming criticism of your site.

And it's making you use frames. Tsk tsk.

Since I was able to find the "stop" button, I had another look at your site. The music still has to go. As 709 said, try to fade the stem of that rose out. It looks cut off. And I hate frames. They make it impossible to know exactly where you "are" on the site.

Besides, how does that blushing bride send a link to a page that she wants her mother to see? She can't without right clicking "open frame in new window" and then copying and pasting the link. If she doesn't, and sends the link in the address bar to her mother, chances are the mother will get annoyed at the autoplaying music and close the window before she can find the page her daughter was talking about.

Why put up obstacles to having people find what they're looking for? All for the music? That's just silliness.

One more: why is your portfolio heading text made up of images? It's not a fancy font or anything. If you decide to change your color scheme, you'll have to redo those images. And you risk someone stopping loading the page and not knowing what's what if they stop it before they get the image loaded.