User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

/sigh video games...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
/sigh video games...
kraig911

2005-01-03, 10:54

anyone else noticing the huge influx of video games in the past 6 monthes? I used to post here regularly and way back when it was apple'n'cider and well was just saying hey I'm still around reading this board from time to time. I'm currently addicted to WoW and FFxi, and err HL2, Halo2, gah there's just so many >< I'm spending almost all my free time playing these.

Its becoming a problem, anyone else have the same addiction as me? Esp these MMOrpg's. Anyways who else has been caught up in the storm, and notice their personal lives go to shit?

All in All this was a blatant attempt to get people to buy WoW, and join the thunderlord server to help me kill... the Horde It plays well on my old 1ghz powerbook so c'mon guys... play a little. We work too much on our macs lol.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-01-03, 10:58

Quote:
Its becoming a problem, anyone else have the same addiction as me?
... not that I'm the worst offender (hi pscates ) but my post count tells me that this place has been my biggest addiction of the past year.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-01-03, 11:03

I've been tempted to get WoW. A lot of my friends are into it, but I'm more of a fps guy - still love UT and UT2K4.

I don't have the time to game like I used to, so I'm kind of weening myself involentarily off of my gaming addiction.
¡Damned!

2005-01-03, 11:14

My problem is that I can't leave a game without finishing it. Literally. My FMIL got CoD for Xmas and I stayed up the whole damn night getting through it before she woke up the next morning.

I've put off buying Myst IV until I've got a weekend free.

*sigh*

So it goes.
kraig911

2005-01-03, 11:14

dudes... PC people play the Horde... you don't want me to get beat over by a bunch of orcs do you?

Gah! thats the problem with our side no one wants to organize and revolt against the PC empire, ever encroaching on our way of life. Now you too can fight back and test your metal!

Please don't let me do this alone

FPS games are cool in all but once you play one you've played them all...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-03, 11:16

I'm surrounded by Macs, every moment of the day: home, work, etc. It's easy to pop-in, say a few things. I don't play games, so I don't know about those.
kraig911

2005-01-03, 11:24

um World of Warcraft is Mac-Friendly Crack Cocaine...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-03, 11:41

I'm sure it is. I'll gladly take your word for it.
Mass Appeal

2005-01-03, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraig911
um World of Warcraft is Mac-Friendly Crack Cocaine...
A few of my peeps have got themsleves hooked on that stuff.

I love all types of video games but MMORPGs never really appealed to me. They seem to require large blocks of time to be spent in order to enjoy and my schedule is too hectic for that, I've even been neglecting my X-Box and Dreamcast. Lately my GBA SP has been the sole source for my gaming fix and I'm pre-ordering a PSP.

Since I've never played any MMOs how hard would it be for me to get into WoW?

Could I enjoy the game while only playing a few hours a week or would I need to go all hermit with a bedpan and mini-fridge?
Wrao
Yarp

2005-01-03, 13:24

I barely gamed at all for about 4-6 months. The only game I played was Savage Which I still consider to be one of the better games I've ever played. And the occasional multiplayer mario kart or goldeneye. But I definitely wasn't gaming. But something happened, Now, I've started playing Tony hawk Pro skater 4, F-zero GX, Scrabble and, worst of all....World of Warcraft!

I can't believe I've been sucked into this game. I have a level 22 gnome warrior(quite possibly the most awkward race/class combination in the game) It's not even a very good character, since warriors are supposedly amongst the worst classes, and gnomes are just ridiculous anyway. But Here I am, sitting in bed, planning on playing wow after breakfast.

*sigh*

Well, I don't have WoW installed on my powerbook, so when I return to boston, I won't be able to play it, so that's cool
Wrao
Yarp

2005-01-03, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Appeal
Since I've never played any MMOs how hard would it be for me to get into WoW?

Could I enjoy the game while only playing a few hours a week or would I need to go all hermit with a bedpan and mini-fridge?
The only MMO I'd ever played before WoW was Planetside, which was a MMO First Person shooter. And didn't play anything like any other MMOs out there. Well, World of Warcraft has definitely been really easy to fall into. I started with only playing an hour or two every couple days(if that) but now I'm up to 3-4 hour sessions daily. It's sickening. But 4 of my friends just got internet back, so now I can play with them, ugh. Well, I just ordered a really nice mini fridge from amazon.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-03, 13:36

i'm currently playing WoW. it's a fun diversion late at night when i don't have anything else useful to get done.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-03, 14:00

Decent games on a Mac?? Blasphemers!

Oh, wait. All but one of these are console and PC games. *whew* The universe is back in balance again.
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-01-03, 14:09

as of late I've been wondering how a Mac-exclusive game would do especially with the uprise in piracy in the Mac community.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-03, 14:14

With the right kind of pirate-deterring registration system, it can do very well! I cite EV:Nova (and the rest of Ambrosia's software) as an example.

Of course, gaming in general? Eh, I'd say it's about the same as years' past.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
HHogan

2005-01-03, 14:32

More-so I've been thinking it over because I recently took a majority interest in a game development studio, and we're about to launch development of two concurrent games.

Seeing as I like Macs and am fond of the whole community, I've been pondering simultaneously developing a Mac-version. But the business side of things are against such a move. It's been tough to make a decision, even after reading the various tools Apple has made available to us.

This is really where marketshare comes into the equation, but I must say Apple has done a great job.
Mass Appeal

2005-01-03, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Well, I just ordered a really nice mini fridge from amazon.
I might check it out after I get a feel for how diffulcult my spring semester is and wether I get the new job I applied for. My friend almost failed a few classes this last term from playing the beta too much.

When I got the updated version of Lunar for the PSX I ended up spending 34 hours to complete it in 6 days and thats with working a full time job. I really could have used a mini-fridge then.
kraig911

2005-01-03, 15:08

WoW is one of the easiest MMO's to get into. Just have a 3 button mouse. Its crafting system you can never fail, you don't lose xp if you die, and well there's not a huge hassle with money.

I'm addicted to FFXI on my PS2 and its just as much a fun game but way more time consuming and getting money is harder than in RL so its agonizing which is why a lot of people are converting to WoW.

The updates they are announcing sound really awesome. What with the battlefields (massive PvP fights), where you can use gryphons or make siege weapons, or huge spells. It just sounds awesome.

In short my only complain with WoW is its too easy. But in any event its an awesome game.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-01-03, 15:09

I just logged in... ahhhh
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-01-03, 15:17

well HHogan, if you're looking for reasons to develop cross platform games, i'd say that the best argument i've seen/heard is regarding LAN's and online play.

say you take 100,000 people. at least 95,000 of them are Windows users. Say the other 5,000 are a mix of Mac and Linux users.

on the face, it looks like if you develop for Windows, you get 95% of the market. i don't think that's the reality of it though.

thing is, each of those 5,000 other users has 4 or 5 friends (at least) that they game with.

so lets say my friends and i want to game. the first thing we do is figure out what games we can play. right now, that means that even though my friends like HL2, we're playing tons of WoW.

why?

i'm on a Mac, and i can't play HL2. so although Blizzard only sold 1 copy of WoW directly to a Mac users, there are 4 or 5 other Windows users who bought and play the game because of that single Mac (or Linux) user.

ever LAN party we have begins with "what can everyone play" and goes from there. if everyone can't play it, none of us play it.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
HHogan

2005-01-03, 15:36

That's completely understandable, and I realize all the pros of doing cross-platform development. The Mac-nut in me completely agrees with you, but financial restrictions are first and foremost.

We're in the middle of studying the merits of every console and platform, and will make deicisions based on the style of play, and potential expansion.

It is, of course, very difficult to decide prior, but it's for scheduling and budget purposes.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-01-03, 16:32

well, somehow blizzard manages to release the same game/data files for both platforms. not sure what they do differently, but i'm guessing OpenGL is part of it.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-01-03, 16:42

I have to admit, I've been into Need For Speed 2 Underground since my brother picked it up for his xbox. Nothing spectacular about it, but I've always been drawn to racing games and this is a relatively good one.

Come waste your time with me
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-03, 17:16

Yeah I got NFSU2 on my PC about a week ago and I've already completed the game once and have almost completed it again . It's hella fun, I love customizing my car to make it actually look good (not ricey!).