Which way is up?

2020-08-14, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleycun View Post
I am so excited for this
Me too. Where are you from, Kayleycun?

Also,

TOLEDO!

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-08-14 at 11:58.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-14, 12:43

Is punctuation hard

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-31, 10:59

Super lightweight MacBook!

This year would make good sense, and an announcement in the next 6-8 weeks seems likely.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-08-31, 14:10

Some parts of this rumor reinforce my belief that we will only be seeing notebooks with Apple silicon this year. Might not see desktop till the A15 is ready next year.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-31, 14:16

I'm still not convinced that Apple is going with the Ax chips. I think they are developing chips specifically for Macs that will be called Axx or some variation on that theme.

Also, a Mac Mini is more likely to be the first desktop and that could happen this year, although I have nothing to substantiate that.

Looking back to the first Intel Mac (an iMac) releases, it was iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook and Mac Mini, and then Mac Pro, all within 1 year. This is a different circumstance requiring all-new CPU tech that seems certain to follow the power scale. Thus, MacBook/MacBook Air, Mac Mini, iMac/MacBook Pro, and finally Mac Pro. That is the order I am predicting (and I will be wrong, because Apple!)

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-08-31, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
TOLEDO!
::nods knowingly, taps side of robot head::

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-31, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
::nods knowingly, taps side of robot head::

As an FYI, that one is already gone.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-20, 23:52

Anybody notice they're broadly clearing the channel of MacBook Pros?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-21, 10:54

13" models have been nearly impossible for us to get. With one exception, we have been out of stock for almost 2 months.

16" models are less of a problem.

12" MacBook and 14" MB Pro seem like near certainties, and I suspect the Mac Mini is there as well, since distribution has almost none of them.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-10-21, 13:22

The consensus has always been that Apple will start only with the least powerful models, but I've never believed that.

Apple is too invested in the first impressions of their products, especially the media coverage right after a new reveal.

Having every media outlet in the world link Apple Silicon to "less powerful computers" is near-suicidal for a product introduction.

There will be a Pro model released, or at very least shown with pc benchmark comparisons, at the release event.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-10-26, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Having every media outlet in the world link Apple Silicon to "less powerful computers" is near-suicidal for a product introduction.

There will be a Pro model released, or at very least shown with pc benchmark comparisons, at the release event.
Don't hate me because I'm brilliant.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-26, 16:35

They could start there.

Or, it could be something else.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-10-26, 17:25

Absolutely. It does sound unlikely that the 16" MBP goes first, but Apple does have to show that Apple Silicon blows away the competition somehow.

If they start with the Mini or 12" MacBook, the whole web will use those benchbarks to extrapolate the Pro line performance anyway.
Quagmire
meh

2020-10-26, 17:26

Doubt boot camp update indicates that the 16” MBP will be one of the first AS/ARM Macs..... Unless Apple and MS worked out a deal for Windows for ARM....

Now could mean one last Intel bump.....

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-10-26, 20:07

I doubt Apple will want to keep Windows working, they gain nothing from it. They haven't pushed any meaningful updates to Windows drivers beyond what is absolutely needed since 2012.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-10-27, 10:30

My bet is they will release a MacBook and a new iMac.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-27, 10:51

I don't much care about the MacBook, but a new iMac would be awesome!

And then
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-10-27, 14:40

Custom Apple GPU could be troublesome for anyone using Adobe apps with GPU acceleration. Anyone want to guess how many months after this ships before Adobe makes native apps. I’m guessing 12-18. Thankfully I dumped Adobe, but anyone who has to use it should likely stick to Intel for the time being.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-10-27, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Custom Apple GPU could be troublesome for anyone using Adobe apps with GPU acceleration. Anyone want to guess how many months after this ships before Adobe makes native apps. I’m guessing 12-18. Thankfully I dumped Adobe, but anyone who has to use it should likely stick to Intel for the time being.
Don't they just use OpenCL or Metal?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-27, 15:56

Adobe already has a ton of groundwork finished just from their iPad experience. Not saying they won't need extra time, but I'm guessing that Apple has a special little NDA lab with several Adobe techs working full time on prototype hardware.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-10-27, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I'm guessing they'll move quicker than people think. Pixelmator Pro 2.0 will be out soon and will likely support this out of the gate. Final Cut Pro won't be far behind.

If only there was a independently developed Pixelmator-like alternative to InDesign, I'd be free....
¡Damned!

2020-10-27, 17:38

Frank, you should have a look at Affinity Publisher. Apparently they're ready to go w/ all three of their apps.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-10-28, 04:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Don't they just use OpenCL or Metal?
Yeah. There's a fair amount of stuff that specifically target CUDA, but being Nvidia-only doesn't get you anywhere on a Mac anyway.

Anything that's well-optimized for Intel or AMD GPUs using stuff like OpenCL or (especially) Metal Compute should also be well-optimized for Apple Silicon.

(Regardless, I remain unconvinced that Apple will go Apple-only on all Mac GPUs. It seems needlessly limiting for customers, and taxing on Apple's internal resources, and for what?)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-10-28, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Frank, you should have a look at Affinity Publisher. Apparently they're ready to go w/ all three of their apps.
Affinity Publisher's great but like Adobe, it's one part of their whole suite of products.

I really like the work the Pixelmator team has done, focusing on one particular product and doing some really incredible work.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-10-28, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I really like the work the Pixelmator team has done, focusing on one particular product and doing some really incredible work.
And I hadn't even heard of Vectorstyler until today.

All I need now is an InDesign replacement, and I can move to Apple Silicon without worry. And save a bundle of $$$.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-11-02, 23:08

Oh no. Heaven help us, they're doing it again.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-11-03, 00:23

What a shocking surprise. I'm sure they'll say that the new model didn't sell as well as the trash can model as a justification. I mean the price tag couldn't have had anything to do with that...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-03, 05:26

Hm, if they consolidate the iMac and iMac Pro into the New™ iMac, that opens another slot for the Mac Tube.

12-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air, 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro, 24-inch and 27-inch iMac, Mac mini, Mac Tube, Mac Pro.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-03, 11:05

Or, smaller form factor could just mean that Apple's processors generate so much less heat that there is room to eliminate a giant fan assembly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-03, 11:27

Mac mini the size of the current AppleTV. With gaming controllers....