Charity fish scale(s) for Jack

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Charity fish scale(s) for Jack
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-08, 14:00

One thing Jack and I had talked about before he passed away was having an AN fish scale over at the Georgia aquarium. I think it would be appropriate for us to have something to remember Jack by that's more permanent than the floral arrangement we sent. Below are the requirements for what you can put on the fish scales.

Quote:
Each FishScale is personalized with your name or message. Each FishScale is a $55 tax-deductible contribution to the Georgia Aquarium.

To personalize your FishScale, please list your message exactly as you would like it to appear. You are allowed two lines of 12 characters for each FishScale. Remember, punctuation and spaces count as characters.

All FishScales purchased together in a single order will be grouped near each other on the FishScales wall. To purchase multiple FishScales, customize your FishScale, add it to your shopping cart, then click the Get Another FishScale button to return for another personalized FishScale.

Once you’ve completed your order, you can expect to receive a FishScales Certificate in the coming weeks via email for each FishScale you purchase.
I'd like to put something there that's tasteful and that we can be proud to look at in five years or ten years time. Something that his parents can go see and smile.

We have enough money left over from people's donations to purchase multiple fish, so don't let the 12 character 2 line restriction limit you, but keep in mind how it will fall out when the words are spread out over multiple scales.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishscale.jpg (23.0 KB, 144 views)

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-08, 14:25

Jack Frost IV
Friend, Son

Laser Apes
Forever - AN

LoCash, U R
Missed - AN
(Look, I hate that texting crap as much as the next person, but it *fits*)

Last edited by Kickaha : 2005-06-08 at 14:49.
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2005-06-08, 14:53

Viva La
Revolucion

Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-06-08, 15:09

A Fish
Called Nova
Gargoyle

2005-06-08, 15:18

OK, A fish called nova is a bit shit, but if Jack wanted it to be a apple nova fish then it needs something to relate it to here!

I like the the Jack Frost IV, Friend, Son one - Something like that would be great as a memory of Jack, but also another one that is just AN related.

How big is the fish? Could we pay a bit more and get something a bit special?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
¡Damned!

2005-06-08, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Jack Frost IV
Friend, Son
I tried Jack's full name when alcimedes mentioned this idea before, and alas, it does not fit. I was so bummed.

For the 'interactive' version go here. Pretty neat.

So it goes.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-08, 15:25

Damn, you're right.

Jack Frost 4 ? :/
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-08, 15:27

JackRFrostIV or JackFrostIV?

I like the Friend, Son one also.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-08, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
How big is the fish?
From the FAQ:
Quote:
How big is my FishScale?
Each FishScale is approximately 3” by 2”and made of long-lasting scratch resistant Lucite.
Remember, these are donation markers, not actual fish or fish-weighing devices.
Gargoyle

2005-06-08, 15:30

Can one of you ring them and see if they can do a 1 off, 13 character line?
¡Damned!

2005-06-08, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
JackRFrostIV or JackFrostIV?

I like the Friend, Son one also.
Me too, and I think JackFrostIV would be just fine.

[edit]: Actually, I just tried it, and JackFrost IV looks the best IMO.
¡Damned!

2005-06-08, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Can one of you ring them and see if they can do a 1 off, 13 character line?
I doubt it, the FAQ is pretty specific:

Quote:
I’m sorry but all FishScales are the same size and have space for 2 lines of text with 12 characters per line. This does include punctuation marks and spaces.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-08, 15:36

Remember folks, we're not limited to a single fish. Therefore messages over 24 characters in length are possible, and to be honest I'd like to have something more substantial that just 24 characters will allow.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-08, 15:38

Yes, but we can't guarantee that the scales will line up as we expect them to. At best, they'll still be offset to "lock" into the right shapes.

Though, I see what you mean.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-06-08, 15:41

What about:

Jack's House
AppleNova

Though I don't think its quite as good as JackFrost IV. Just throwing it out there.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-06-08, 15:43

Perhaps somebody can talk to the people there to make an arrangement so that we know how several scales would be lined up. We're going to buy a bunch, so they might be willing to do that little service for us.

Edit: I like CubeDude's message. Short and precise
¡Damned!

2005-06-08, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Remember folks, we're not limited to a single fish. Therefore messages over 24 characters in length are possible, and to be honest I'd like to have something more substantial that just 24 characters will allow.

I don't know that we can get our fish all lined up...at best, they say, they will be 'close' to one another. Plus, the text boxes end pretty far away from the edges:

Though, if they could guarantee our fishies would be in a row it might be fun to experiment with groups of words.

So it goes.
Gargoyle

2005-06-08, 15:55

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-08, 16:04

>709> looks good. We'll need to get his parents' prior approval.

FJ
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-06-08, 16:19

While the concept of 'evergreen' perpetually-relevant writing is nice, I don't think we should discount things that may make sense now but lose meaning as years go by...
Domains change (what if we'd had one called AppleInsider for Jack), and there's no guarantee URLs will even look the same decades from now (telephones used to be Pennsylvania 6-5000 before they went to 7, 8 and 10 digits).

My point is that we shouldn't rule out concepts based solely on "no one will get it in x years".

If we're getting a 'school' of fish as a garoupa (pun!)

AppleNova - on one line works
dot com - on the line underneath would work too.

Whether or not our URL will exist or even look the same in 2020 isn't necessarily a deal-breaker for me, since in the interim folks might connect the dots and experience the community life in The House that Jack Built.

Given that attitude (as I expressed in chat last week), I don't have a problem with adding some humour that again, might not be as meaningful x years hence, but will bring a chuckle to the current generation.

OMGWTFBBQ!!

while meaningless to many, was germane to Jack and may be comedy gold for geeks.

As for getting names to fit that friends can connect, how about...

JackRFrostIV
aka LoCash,

aka M3dJack
aka corner4j

TurboRodent,
MarmotDeacon

or various mix and match combinations based on which name rings the most bells.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-06-08, 20:05

Jack R Frost
IV

applenova
'05

remember
applenova

Jack R Frost
LoCash

remember
LoCash

You can't capture LoCash in 24 chars.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-06-08, 20:17

The fish that Jack built (AN)
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2005-06-08, 21:13

Oh wow, I thought it was like an adopt a fish program. A personalised fish scale? What a weird idea. I gather it forms part of a whole fish. How big is the entire fish and what type of fishy is it (no reason, just like to know). Only 12 characters. Bet plenty of people have struggled with that limitation.

Loved the pun 'burb. So bad it was good.

Thought they all had their merits but Kickaha's friend son one. What a bummer about the name not fitting. Leaving the gaps out troubles the anally (one L or 2?) retentive perfectionist in me. Jack-LoCash or Jack/LoCash m/b?

Alcimedes, I haven't forgotten. It will happen, though possibly not until next week now. Lots of bad shit going down the last two weeks, for some reason. Bad shit happening to me, bad shit happening to people around me. No like. Want it to stop.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-08, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester
Thought they all had their merits but Kickaha's friend son one.
Why you pickin' on me, crazyc? I thought we wuz down!

Quote:
What a bummer about the name not fitting. Leaving the gaps out troubles the anally (one L or 2?) retentive perfectionist in me. Jack-LoCash or Jack/LoCash m/b?
It's anal-retentive when modifying a noun, ala perfectionist, otherwise, no hyphen.

SledgeHammer

2005-06-08, 21:52

I have no ideas beyond what has already been said, but I think it's a great idea.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2005-06-08, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Why you pickin' on me, crazyc? I thought we wuz down!
But I'm being complimentary! Or is that complementary? Aaaaaah! We'd like you to have this complementary chester, sir, with compliments from the management. Uh you're talking that whatsit, lingo at me. I don't understand.

Quote:
It's anal-retentive when modifying a noun, ala perfectionist, otherwise, no hyphen.

Oh Jesus, there's some joke in here but I don't get it. Kickaha my brain is fried. I haven't slept for...for...an extended period of time. Deciphering (oooh
had to think about that one, almost wrote decifering) standard English
^ see odd spaces and line breaks
grammar is a significant challenge, let alone anything more complex.

Where was I. Oh yeah. I know it's not anal-retentive. That's some stupid or stoopid American expression. Or part of the joke I'm not getting. I've checked. It's two Ls. Anally retentive. ANally retentive!

God I got the dictionary out. The real dictionary. I don't remember the last time I used a real dictionary. Hells bells.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-06-08, 22:13

Here's a line from Hamlet:

And flights
of angels
sing thee to
thy rest.

EDIT: ("Sing thee/To thy rest" could work as well; it may even look better when "scaled")

Last edited by LudwigVan : 2005-06-08 at 22:15. Reason: Postscript
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-06-08, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
From the FAQ:

Remember, these are donation markers, not actual fish or fish-weighing devices.
I seriously thought we were buying fish. Something as permanent as these are far better.

Anyway, I like the idea of some humour, some sentiment.

LoCash's
Laser Apes

I like HOM's suggestion. Or burb's OMFGBBQ!!/!!1ONE1!!1

Anything more personal and sentimental I'll leave to people that were closer to him.
RaSol

2005-06-09, 05:40

Personally, I'd like to see

Jack Frost IV
Friend.
Reverend.
Asshole.

.... there aren't enough fish scales for what I'd like to say, and unfortunately giving Jack shit isn't quite the same anymore.

I think just something simple and kind, yet since its being organized by AN something connecting it with that wouldn't be bad either.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-09, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester
But I'm being complimentary! Or is that complementary? Aaaaaah! We'd like you to have this complementary chester, sir, with compliments from the management.
Score! Free chester! Where do I pick it up?

Quote:
Oh Jesus, there's some joke in here but I don't get it. Kickaha my brain is fried. I haven't slept for...for...an extended period of time. Deciphering (oooh
had to think about that one, almost wrote decifering) standard English
^ see odd spaces and line breaks
grammar is a significant challenge, let alone anything more complex.

Where was I. Oh yeah. I know it's not anal-retentive. That's some stupid or stoopid American expression. Or part of the joke I'm not getting. I've checked. It's two Ls. Anally retentive. ANally retentive!
You and your wacky antipodean lingo! It's anal retentive, or I'm not.

Quote:
God I got the dictionary out. The real dictionary. I don't remember the last time I used a real dictionary. Hells bells.
Ha. Made ya look.