AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Penn State On Apple.com

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Penn State On Apple.com
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-14, 22:48

http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/pennstate/

A pretty cool thing to see my school on the www.apple.com website. Makes me feel like this place is actually on the radar screen. Oh yeah, we do football here. But wait! Jeff Raskin went to PSU!!!

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-07-14, 23:17

Congrats Messiahtosh. Now only if my school would get into Macs.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-14, 23:21

On a loosely related note, last year at NCSU, the College of Engineering proposed requiring Windows laptops and dropping all support for Mac and Linux users.

Of course, there were lots of protests from the MUG and LUG and students in general. The suggestion was dropped, hopefully never to be seen again.

Bass-ackwards university.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-14, 23:23

I'm sorry to hear that Brad.

On a more positive note, my first college paper received a 20/20 and the teacher told me I should submit the article for publication by the student newspaper (the Collegian). It felt good, but it will probably be short lived success.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-07-15, 06:41

You should be very proud that you're doing so well in Home-Economics!

ain't I a stinker?
psgamer0921

2004-07-15, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
On a loosely related note, last year at NCSU, the College of Engineering proposed requiring Windows laptops and dropping all support for Mac and Linux users.

Of course, there were lots of protests from the MUG and LUG and students in general. The suggestion was dropped, hopefully never to be seen again.

Bass-ackwards university.
Why not stick with UNC? Go heels!
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-07-15, 14:50

The University that I work for is all Windows. They (University IT) don't actually say to buy Windows only stuff but they will give you no help if you are using anything other than a windows box.
One of the Colleges in the Computer Science department is windows only. The CS track is still close to agnostic while the "Information Science" department is strictly teaching MS stuff only and no Macs are not allowed.

Actually there was/is talk of everyone on Campus having to authenticate via active directory (what a joke it has been for the past 8 months watching this thing blow up in IT's face) and about half the faculty went crazy. Many of them are running Macs and Linux boxes and were not going to let IT force them into only using MS OS's. I know that you can authenticate OS X against AD but many people are still using OS 9 which (so I am told) will not authenticate against AD.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-15, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgamer0921
Why not stick with UNC? Go heels!
Actually, last I recall UNC already requires IBM Thinkpads for its students. It's even billed as part of the tuition. At least, that's how it was in a few years ago when some of my friends went to UNC.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psgamer0921

2004-07-15, 18:52

Hmm. Didn't know that. I'm not sure, but I don't think that they do that anymore. I am almost positive I read a brochure saying that it recommended Dells or Macs. Hmm, I'll look into that.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-15, 19:11

You're talking about the CCI. (Carolina Computing Initiative)

One of the most screwed up things I've ever seen... was one of the founders of a group to stop the bloody thing in its tracks, and we almost succeeded. Convinced the Vice Provost that the approach they were taking was the wrong one... and he left for UMich a week later. Grr.

Students are advised/cajoled/deceived into buying a CCI machine, but it's not required.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-07-16, 00:22

Holy shit am I lucky. My university's (the ANU) Dept. of Computer Science not only supports Linux and Mac computers but refuses to support Windows computers (although you are allowed to use them - they just won't help you).

Barto

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.