User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

CG FX and MacBook Pro

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
CG FX and MacBook Pro
kungfuelmosan

2006-01-12, 07:11

hey guys im in a bit of a pikkle - the more i look at the new MacBook Pro the more i want one!

Ive got a single 1.5Ghz G5 powermac with 2g ram for animation work i do in Maya - the 2g ram is awesome for real time animating - when i first put the order in for it i couldve got the dual 1.8 and standard 512 ram (i was a noob to animation) and thought you needed ram for animation more than processor speed - i was wrong (rendering relies on processor) - i am now contemplating selling my powermac and buying a new MacBook Pro as it sadly eats my PowerMac for breakfast

in short is it worth selling my desktop powermac to buy the new MacBook Pro (as a desktop deplacemet! - not a take-to-school laptop) as its dual core (maya supports multi threading) and i can just add more ram later - or i could get a new 2GHZ dual core G5 - non intel?

dad if it werent for you id have come from a test tube and be living with two women!!!

Last edited by kungfuelmosan : 2006-01-12 at 08:01.
kungfuelmosan

2006-01-12, 08:11

basically would it be worth replacing my powermac with a baseline MacBook Pro with a gig of ram (another gig later) as a desktop replacement?
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-01-12, 08:15

Why don't you get the iMac? Long term usage of a laptop as a desktop can be a bit of a pain. You'll end up spending money on an extra Keyboard and Mouse, and then a nice stand for the PB / MBP to bring the screen up to a nice height?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-12, 08:18

Well, Maya isn't Intel native yet, is it? The Rosetta performance hit may* well offset the extra power so it'll be an expensive and pointless exercise.

*=We just don't know how Rosetta affects performance yet. Our only hint is Steve saying "maybe not good enough for professionals" about Photoshop under Rosetta.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-01-12, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Why don't you get the iMac? Long term usage of a laptop as a desktop can be a bit of a pain. You'll end up spending money on an extra Keyboard and Mouse, and then a nice stand for the PB / MBP to bring the screen up to a nice height?
Not to mention that the iMac most likely is more powerful, much cheaper and has a bigger screen.

Actually the iMac is looking like a ridiculously good bargain these days.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-12, 10:03

Or you could wait a few months for the PowerMacs to get Dual Core chips (not Yonahs) and get a 2-4x speed boost, plus the ability to add up to 8GB of RAM as your needs grow. Whether or not they'll also get rebranded as MacPro probably won't add any speed.

I'd say wait. "All machines intel by year end" implies the PMs may be done next (by which time more universal binaries should be shipping).
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-12, 10:22

It's been said before, but it bears repeating: Maya is NOT intel native so you'd be crazy to do it.
kungfuelmosan

2006-01-12, 19:21

i didnt think of incompatibility? - thanks for that one!

ive got a verry nice LG display and keyboard and mouse and stuff so when i get home from school ill just put the macbook on my desk and plug my screen, keyboard and mouse in?

It shouldnt be log until theres an intel native version of Maya should there? as of the alias to autodesk movement?

the only reason i can get a macbook is if i sell my powermac so when powermacs go intel i wont be able to sell it as no-one will want one?

so i sort of have to buy now? can intel macs dual boot to windows - i have a windows version of maya?

dad if it werent for you id have come from a test tube and be living with two women!!!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-12, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuelmosan
can intel macs dual boot to windows - i have a windows version of maya?

Unconfirmed... officially no...
but officially, the iBook doesn't support spanning, and officially, Front Row doesn't run on anything but iMac/MacBook

doesn't mean it isn't *cough* possible
chaos123x

2006-01-13, 15:48

Also keep in mind that ALias (the makers of maya) were just bought out from Auto Desk (aka Discreet)
As you might know Autodesk does not really support the MAc at all there only program for mac is Combustion.

I could see AutoDesk not making a universal version of Maya and dump the mac entirely .... I bet the Maya technology will be put to use in a new Windows version of 3D studio Max, and Maya will just go to the way side.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-01-14, 12:52

If you are going to wait for intel powermacs, then you migh have to wait - I think the general "word on the street" is that Merom (the 64bit versions) will not arrive till September.

However, I am unclear if there is another desktop chip on the way that will do 64bit. Merom is another notebook chip, is it not?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!