Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPod HiFi "Theatre" Sub

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod HiFi "Theatre" Sub
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-03-10, 09:10

Early indications seem to be that the iPod HiFi sounds quite good. It has none of the wireless features I had hoped for, but given that it appears to be a quality piece, I thought of a very simple way to increase it's functionality. Turn it into a virtual surround 2.1 system.

Here's how.

The HiFi is a stereo device. It accepts L-R Stereo input. Therefore, a small control box, built into a sub, could be made to utlilize two independent L/R pairs. (four channels). If perchance you had a second HiFi, you would plug them into the "Theatre sub" this device would decode info into either traditional stereo, or into one of the various 5.1 virtual time delay formats. The innermost speaker would play left/right stereo (mirrored pair) and the outermost would play a virtual rear channel.

The sub needs only power the .1 channel, since the amps in each of the two HiFi's take care of themselves.

This might work better if the HiFi itself had a slightly bowed front for the sake of directionality. Such a product needn't come from Apple either, it could be made by an enterprising third party as well.

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-03-10, 14:16

The question would be thuough, would both Hi Fi s get enough power to make use of their full sound quality?

It would be very easy to underpower them and get sub-par sound.

The Hi Fi isn't really meant to be a home theater system.
Reid

2006-03-10, 14:24

The HiFi is a powered speaker, so amplification is built in. But if you're going to take up the kind of space you would need for two iPod HiFis and a powered subwoofer, why not just by an actual stereo system? You could probably get one that sounds just as good for less money.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-03-10, 14:47

Apple Hi-Fi 5.1-ish system:

2 Hi Fi s-----$700
Subwoofer---$450
Control box---$150
Wires, etc-----$25

Total cost---- $1325

Real 5.1 system:

Axiom Epic Master 175---$1460
Denon Reciever---------$300
Cables--------------- $50

Total cost--------- $1810

I would rather spend the extra money and get a higher-end system that would sound a lot better than the Hi Fi setup.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-03-11, 05:09

At 1325, no way is it gonna happen, but that is a gross overestimate.

The HiFi itself would drop to at least 299 before this could happen, or less, and the sub would be no more than 299. Also there's no need for a seperate control box, rather it would be integrated into the sub, also for 299. And, I don't think Apple would be so daft as to sell such a device without cables.

So, I would predict an absolute upper limit of 899 for a hypothetical product of this sort.

There is the further possibility that if the HiFi's sub is completely adequate, and since there are two in our imagined setup, then we need only a small control box, and no extra sub. I read that the bass is quite good on the HiFi. Then that control unit need only be 99 or so, since basically it'd be just a signal processor.

The HiFi is very small and entirely suitable to such a task, a den, a small TV room, a larger desk setting... What the HiFi has, with a slight redesign, is wife acceptance factor. A room full of a A/V seperates does not.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-03-11, 05:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu
What the HiFi has, with a slight redesign, is wife acceptance factor. A room full of a A/V seperates does not.
A wise man from my church once told me, "Dave, listen carefully, because, both as a spiritual mentor and as a friend, this is the most important advice I can give you: Buy your stereo before you get married." Truer words have never been spoken.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2006-03-13, 13:25

Just get a SqueezeBox. There's really no other solution that does so much for so little.