User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Best AJAX Framework for OSX

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Best AJAX Framework for OSX
Oskar

2006-02-13, 01:08

If you have any recommendations, please share them. I've looked hard to find a round-up of all OSX-specific ones with no luck.

Thank you,
Oskar
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-02-13, 02:03

Maybe you should look at it from another angle; what's OSX specific in AJAX?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-13, 07:59

Ruby on Rails.
Oskar

2006-02-13, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickers
Maybe you should look at it from another angle; what's OSX specific in AJAX?
Frameworks are downloaded environments that you can build something with. AJAX isn't OSX specific, but frameworks can be.
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2006-02-13, 10:09

But AJAX is always going to base the framework off of Javascript, and thus they will always be cross platform. Good ones to look at are script.aculo.us and Prototype.
Oskar

2006-02-13, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmazer
But AJAX is always going to base the framework off of Javascript, and thus they will always be cross platform. Good ones to look at are script.aculo.us and Prototype.
Thank you for the info. Both mention Ruby on Rails...I didn't know that was related to AJAX.
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2006-02-13, 13:28

Ruby on Rails provides AJAX support. Not really related, but the reason it is mentioned is that Ruby on Rails uses those two libraries to provide AJAX support.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-02-13, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar
Frameworks are downloaded environments that you can build something with. AJAX isn't OSX specific, but frameworks can be.

Quote:
A software framework is a reusable design for a software system (or subsystem). This is expressed as a set of abstract classes and the way their instances collaborate for a specific type of software (Johnson and Foote 1988; Deutsch 1989). All software frameworks are object-oriented designs. Although designs don't have to be implemented in an object-oriented language, they usually are.
So once again, what's OSX specific about AJAX? It's a web tech, and inherently designed to be used and served on many platforms, and where the only deviance in framework would be browser specific, not host OS specific.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Oskar

2006-02-13, 15:31

Quote:
So once again, what's OSX specific about AJAX? It's a web tech, and inherently designed to be used and served on many platforms, and where the only deviance in framework would be browser specific, not host OS specific.
And again, I never said AJAX could be OSX-specific. pmazer already answered my quesiton so thanks.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-13, 16:19

Quote:
Nothing, but tools for working with AJAX may be OS X-specific. Ruby on Rails, for example, is heavily biased towards TextMate, an editor that is OS X-only.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-02-13, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Nothing, but tools for working with AJAX may be OS X-specific. Ruby on Rails, for example, is heavily biased towards TextMate, an editor that is OS X-only.
Yes, I expect there to be bias' toward some IDEs or editors depending on a lot of things, but an IDE is not a framework, which in this case (AJAX) is not OSX specific. (also why I quoted what a framework was)

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
chucker

2006-02-13, 17:56

AJAX itself is not a framework. It's a non-standard, introduced-by-Microsoft addition to JavaScript to retrieve and parse XML markup from within HTML.

You can build frameworks on top of AJAX's idea, and as you correctly point out, they'd still probably be fairly cross-platform, as that is simply in the nature of the WWW.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-02-13, 18:04

Quote:
AJAX itself is not a framework. It's a non-standard, introduced-by-Microsoft addition to JavaScript to retrieve and parse XML markup from within HTML.

You can build frameworks on top of AJAX's idea, and as you correctly point out, they'd still probably be fairly cross-platform, as that is simply in the nature of the WWW.
AJAX doesn't parse the XML... AJAX is simply the use of XmlHttpRequest(), the parsing is done through the DOM. AJAX frameworks typically parse the XML as well as make the request. Prototype is highly recommended, but I'm not one for AJAX.
chucker

2006-02-14, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
AJAX doesn't parse the XML... AJAX is simply the use of XmlHttpRequest(), the parsing is done through the DOM.
Aren't we pedantic today. "AJAX" is very vaguely defined, and I think it's very strange to limit it to just the single function you're pointing out. That's the core of it, sure, but by itself, there isn't much use to it.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-02-14, 08:41

Quote:
Aren't we pedantic today. "AJAX" is very vaguely defined, and I think it's very strange to limit it to just the single function you're pointing out. That's the core of it, sure, but by itself, there isn't much use to it.
Yes, it is, that's why I don't use the term :P

However, XmlHttpRequest() doesn't actually care if you're using XML - So parsing is somewhat optional.