AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

World Cup 2006 Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
World Cup 2006 Thread
Page 1 of 15 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-23, 08:17

Only a couple months left basically. I was just checkingthe WC site and it appears very clearly that there is no "Group of Death" this year. In fact, there aren't that many groups with two really good teams. Holland and Argentina are grouped together, England and Sweden, and Italy - US (though I believe we're still a second tier team). The rest is a real hodge-podge basically. Could be nice to have some underdogs make it through and seems likely.

Hopefully this thread will pick up steam as we get closer but I thought I'd post now since the buzz is already starting in some places. As extra incentive for Murbot and others who may not see that soccer is merely hockey without the ice and sticks, I provide this as evidence of the World Cup's potential greatness.

I haven't seen a similar ad campaign from Germany yet but I have hope it can still be done.

...into the light of a dark black night.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-03-23, 08:25

Great idea for a thread. The U.S. had a pretty dismal result (4-1) last night in their friendly with Germany. I guess one shouldn't read into that too much, as about 6 U.S. first-team players were out. Germany on the otherhand, had a full team and still struggled, especially in the first half.

The U.S. qualifying group looks pretty tricky: Italy (who thrashed Germany 4-1 last month, the Czech Republic (FIFA No. 2 ranking) and Ghana (an unpredictable but talented side).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Brazil is the Team to beat in WC 2006.

Edit: as for a group of death, I think a fairly strong argument can be made that Group C (Argentina, Netherlands, Ivory Coast and Serbia & Montenegro) looks pre-tty deathly.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-23, 08:55

Is Ivory Coast a good team this year? I had read about the US defeat last night on a German news site. There is some sentiment that the US might actually do better this year because unlike a lot of other teams where the players are still on club schedules right now, the US will have played together, continuously as a team for something like 8 months leading up to the Cup. Should be interesting.

I guess that Freddie Adu (sp?) guy faded into nothingness / was all media hype. My nephew, who follows the European leagues very closely said there are several guys his age (in different areas) that are coming up in the ranks, who are much better than Adu ever was. Guess the American media has a lot to learn about the game before their opinions can be trusted!

Also: more evidence for the doubters about just how wonderful World Cup soccer can be. (PotentiallyNSFW)

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-03-23, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Also: more evidence for the doubters about just how wonderful World Cup soccer can be. (PotentiallyNSFW)
I was going to link to a similar page which had all of the nations bodypainted jerseys, but they're in those pages, plus some bonus babes. Thanks.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-03-23, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Is Ivory Coast a good team this year? I had read about the US defeat last night on a German news site. There is some sentiment that the US might actually do better this year because unlike a lot of other teams where the players are still on club schedules right now, the US will have played together, continuously as a team for something like 8 months leading up to the Cup. Should be interesting.

I guess that Freddie Adu (sp?) guy faded into nothingness / was all media hype. My nephew, who follows the European leagues very closely said there are several guys his age (in different areas) that are coming up in the ranks, who are much better than Adu ever was. Guess the American media has a lot to learn about the game before their opinions can be trusted!

I don't really know about the Ivory Coast, but they have to be reasonably decent to have made it out of Africa. And I don't know about the US trainging for 8 months together either. A lot of the best US players play in the European leagues and will have the same disadvantages that all of the European-based players have. That said, I think the US stands a reasonable chance of getting out of the first round.

As for the youngins', I follow Barcelona quite closely (inlaws membership requirement) and they have an Argentinian named Messi who is 18 and on fire. A very special player to watch with the ball. No stupid tricks just skill and creativity. The Arggies should be tough.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-23, 20:07

Hmm. I didn't think there were many US players at all in good European leagues. I thought most of them were of the MLS ilk.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-03-23, 20:35

I'm very excited, but I'm disappointed the US got put into such difficult standings. The world basically hates us as a soccer team, yet we kicked massive ass last cup. I was really excited to see what the US could do this cup, but already it seems like the chances of getting even to the round of 16 are very slim. I'm sure I will still enjoy watching the games.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-03-23, 21:01

The US I think is ranked fifth in the world, highest ever.

Only something like 4 starters were in the Germany game; most were reserves or even on the bubble of being on the national team come Cup time.

Anyway, with these pics, I'm more excited for the women's world cup at this point...

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-03-24, 03:38

Moogs, I can't find (easily) a U.S. roster with associated clubs. That would help us with who plays where (to state the obvious). If someone finds such a thing, please post it if you have a moment. Cheers.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-24, 09:28

Rotto: I really doubt our national team is ranked 5th. Right off the top of my head there is Brasil, Argentina, Holland, England, Italy and Sweden, all of whom figure to be more highly ranked than the US at this time. At least in terms of the articles I've been reading online and things I'm hearing from family members who live in Spain.

We can't have progressed that far on the world stage in the last four years have we? The consensus seemed to be (at that time) that we were a good 10 years from being a perennial powerhouse, that once the current generation of players at the end of their careers, begin coaching on a wide scale, that's when we're going to see something. The implication being most American coaches are not as well versed in the subtle points of the game. That once talented players starting coming up through the ranks, when there are modern-era coaches helping them to develop their game more fully, then we'll start seeing some real star-power and consistently impressive play at the highest levels.

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-03-24, 09:34

Amazingly it is true: the highest ranking ever for the US Men. I don't think rankings like this say all that much though, except that through a complicated machination (did I make this word up?) of stats it says you're ranked no 58, or 5.

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statisti...,2548,,00.html
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-24, 09:39

Wow. Surprising (maybe shows a lack of depth in the field at large?). Or maybe this is just another subjective poll generated by sports writers and FIFA officials (as you alluded to).

That answers my question about the Czech Republic too. I recall them being tough last time around and was wondering to myself yesterday if they might not be a real contender this year. Apparently they are now a real power in the soccer world. Meantime, I had also read Sweden has been playing well in its prep matches, not that I know anything about them specifically. There was just a blurb about them in a German paper that said they may surprise some people.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-03-24, 09:40

Moogs, the US team was ranked 8th four years ago in the last World Cup! Goes to show how much rankings have to do with World Cup success though.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-24, 09:45

Yah. In most sports rankings generally mean squat. Unless we've had an influx of talent though, this is basically the same motley bunch right? Anything can happen in soccer I suppose, being such a low scoring game but my sense is we've got a ways to go yet.

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-03-24, 10:05

The FIFA ranking is compiled by analysis of results rather than a poll of sportswriters (both of which are imperfect indicators).

As for the last WC, the US did quite well - not out of line for a Team ranked No. 8. We beat Portugal in the opening round, Mexico in the first knockout Round and lost 1-0 to Germany in the Quarters (having outplayed them for most of the match). Had we got thru that game, it would have been S. Korea in the Semis, and Brazil in the Finals.

Anything like that this time around would be a great success, imo.

That said, 'the world' tolerated us better when we were just fodder for their football teams, but it would be a scandel of ungodly proportions if the US ever made it to the Finals, nevermind win it all. I think they just want us to leave them alone, really.

In fact, I've read that the English coach wanted to avoid the US and Australia in the opening round, implying that both teams are very capable and it is a national embarrassment to lose to either for a 'big team'.

I say, bring on those Italian nancy boys.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-24, 10:21

Yah, the pressure will be on the Italians for sure. Apparently among the "recognized teams" out there, the Czechs and Dutch are the two everyone is wanting to avoid at all costs. So I guess the only pressure for us will come from within. That said if we get out of the group, we end up with Brazil, France, Spain (who always underachieves so doesn't concern me much) and darkhorses like the Ukraine and Switzerland. An ugly road to the semis for sure.

Germany of course, gets plopped into the sissy group (big surprise considering their the host and probably have plenty of soccer politicos inside FIFA, etc). They're saying C is the group of death however (which implies the US ranking is a gift because if it's not that would mean three teams in the top 12 ranking, whereas C only has two). Plus the other two teams in group C are merely top 50, but so is Ghana (barely). Hmmm. *scratches head*

Last edited by Moogs : 2006-03-24 at 10:27.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-24, 12:38

Quote:
From said German site

Of the pool of about 70 players available to Arena to choose for his World Cup roster, nine play in England, four in Germany, three in Holland two in Norway while Belgium and Denmark both have one US player each.

Bundesliga experience has helped national team members including goalkeeper Kasey Keller, who plays for Mönchengladbach; Gregg Berhalter of Energie Cottbus and Hanover 96's Steve Cherundolo solidify their spots on the US roster.
Not very specific but at least it gives an idea. And my guess is, relatively few of those players are in Division 1 leagues year in and year out.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-03-24, 12:42

They have the US team projected to win it next time around. (I'll give you a source as soon as my roomate gets back from class, he showed it to me.)

And All That Could Have Been
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-24, 12:55

That'd be cool but sounds a little overly optimistic. Of course hockey gold in 1980 would've been a lot more than "overly optimistic" if you'd asked before the games started.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-05-03, 23:01

Eeesh.

Better not be any of that garbage goin' down this summer. That would be tragic; literally and figuratively. The police better have their shit together just in case.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-04, 02:54

Looks like Twellman got hosed. Let's hope Arena knows what he's doing.

Some U.S. Cup Surprises
Kansas City defender Conrad beats Galaxy's Albright for a spot on the 23-man roster of players headed for Germany next month.

By Grahame L. Jones
LA Times Staff Writer

May 3, 2006

There were not supposed to be any surprises. Disappointments, certainly, but not surprises.

Bruce Arena, coach of the U.S. national soccer team, delivered both, though, on Tuesday afternoon when he selected the 23 players he will take to Germany next month for soccer's World Cup.

The surprises came in the shape of Kansas City Wizard defender Jimmy Conrad, D.C. United midfielder Ben Olsen and Houston Dynamo forward Brian Ching making the team.

The disappointments came in the exclusion of Galaxy defender Chris Albright and New England Revolution forward Taylor Twellman.

Whom to include and whom to leave out was a problem Arena had wrestled with for months.

"By April 12, I had clearly established 18," he said.

"Shortly after that I got it to 19. I used the last couple of weeks to finalize the last four, and yesterday to reflect on that a little bit."

Over the course of 59 games played since a 1-0 loss to Germany in the quarterfinals of the 2002 World Cup, Arena had called upon 85 players, including 46 during qualifying play for 2006.

There was never any serious debate about his choice of goalkeepers. Kasey Keller, who with midfielder Claudio Reyna will become the first Americans to take part in four World Cups, is the clear No. 1 and will start.

Marcus Hahnemann, who this season helped Reading win promotion to the English Premier League, will be his backup. Tim Howard is along for the ride so that he can learn the ropes with an eye on being the starter at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Hahnemann and Howard are among 11 players named for the first time to a World Cup team.

"Those three stood apart from everybody else," Arena said.

On defense, Arena selected Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Conrad, Cory Gibbs, Frankie Hejduk, Eddie Lewis, Oguchi Onyewu and Eddie Pope.

Albright, one of 13 players named as alternates, could justifiably have been included on the team, Arena said.

"Chris Albright, I think anyone can argue, deserves to be on this roster," he said. "Chris could have fit in the group, but the eight we decided on gives us the right kind of balance we need in the back in case of injuries."

In the midfield, Arena's choices were DaMarcus Beasley, Bobby Convey, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Pablo Mastroeni, John O'Brien, Olsen and Reyna.

O'Brien is a gamble. Arena called him "a little bit of a question mark." The Chivas USA midfielder is coming off injuries, has not played 90 minutes in a competitive match in some time and has to prove to Arena in the next few weeks that he can regain full fitness by the time the team leaves for Germany on June 1.

Otherwise, someone else goes in his place.

As for forwards, Arena named only four: Ching, Eddie Johnson, Brian McBride and Josh Wolff.

Twellman, the top or joint-top goal scorer in Major League Soccer in each of the last two seasons, had been considered ahead of Ching in the pecking order.

This is the fifth successive time the U.S. has qualified for the World Cup and Conrad's inclusion, along with that of Bocanegra, Hejduk and Lewis, makes it the fifth successive time there have been four former UCLA players on the squad.

"I still don't really know how to respond to this moment," Conrad said of his selection. "I'm still kind of in shock."

Arena said he believes the 2006 team is stronger than the 2002 squad.

"With a good training camp, good preparation games and the right mental approach, our team will be a team that's going to challenge anybody on the field in this World Cup," he said.

The U.S. opens against the Czech Republic on June 12
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 03:54

Bumpty-bump.

10 days and counting until the first game kicks off (Germany-Costa Rica)(9 June, 5:00pm Yerman time).

The US had a couple of injuries during their warmup with Morocco; most worryingly, Reyna picked up a knock.

I have pasted a link to a US Roster page, which identifies the club teams where they play professionally. Never heard of Real Salt Lake?

http://touchline.onthespot.co.uk/wc2...st=32&CompID=6

This link also provides quick access to the Tables and complete schedule (as well as linking to Team News for each team).

Is anybody going to a game? And who will be watching?

Prediction (out of my butt): Final - Argentina 1 - Engulund 1 (Argentina wins on penalties 4-2)

(caveat: I don't even know if it is possible for these two teams to meet in the final; I am reserving my right to change my pick up until kickoff of Game 1.)
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2006-05-30, 11:27

I don't believe there's a general disliking of US in the football-world, you're just not all that well-known across the pond

Oh and good luck, Czech and Italy aren't exactly going to be easy matches...
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-05-30, 11:31

i actually just went to the friendly friday night vs venezula and i must say it was the best $25 ticket ive ever bought. now the $6.25 16oz beers on the other hand set me back a few dollars, but it was a blast and i would def recommend anyone go see a game if they get a chance.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2006-05-30, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman
Oh and good luck, Czech and Italy aren't exactly going to be easy matches...
I'm really worried about Pavel Nedved. He is simply amazing and a joy to watch (beats Zidane any day of the week). Unless Gooch and Mastroeni can control him we are in trouble.

Italy will be hard to play against, but I do believe that they are beatable. Their players have a huge distraction with the scandal in Italy. I also think that the US will be able to score 1 goal on them but it will be a very ugly game; I can't stand their play-not-to-loose game.
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2006-05-30, 12:09

I didnt realise the US had such a tought group. I was hoping they did well, but Italy and Czech Republic are two tough sides.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 12:20

There's no tellin how they'll do. A win and a draw CAN get you out of the Group phase. But the World Cup is great because the same unknown exists for all of the teams. France in Japan/Korea is the easiest example; no wins, NO GOALS, in three games, having won the damn thing the previous edition.

The US is one of those teams that nobody really wants to play because (1) they can be very tough (just ask the Portugese and Mexican teams from the last Cup ) and (2) it is considered a major upset by any of the 'established' teams. Australia is another team that fits in this profile.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
(2) it is considered a major upset by any of the 'established' teams.
We came very close to upsetting Germany in the last one. The U.S. should have won that game with all the chances we had.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2006-05-30, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj
We came very close to upsetting Germany in the last one. The U.S. should have won that game with all the chances we had.
Not to mention the PK we should have been given for the handball in the box.
You better believe that the European teams (Italy and Czech) that are in our group will be wary of us.

I'm really worried about which Landon will show up. Will it be the usual whining, pussy-boy or will it be the guy with talent and vision who can help us win games.

With Convey and Lewis terrorizing the left and dolo on the right our wings are in pretty good shape. Hell, I would say that our left is as good as (if not better than) any other teams.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
Hell, I would say that our left is as good as (if not better than) any other teams.
Aren't you forgetting a certain South American side with an awe-inspiring left wing?

I'm really looking forward to watching Brazil. Stats are boring, and one of the reasons I love football is that stats are not as relevant in the beautiful game as they are in cricket or baseball. But consider Roberto Carlos: 5 ft 6 in, 10 stones, 24-inch thighs (famously the same as Muhammad Ali at his peak, though that gentleman was 6 ft 3 in and 15 stones). 105 mph kick. 10.6 seconds 100-metre time. The guy is a force of nature whose free kicks routinely defy physics, and although he's 33-years-old I believe this legend hasn't been concluded yet.

The USA does work very well as a team, and they're still not given the respect they deserve, so the pressure to perform is perhaps a little lower than for teams like Italy or Spain. Donovan is world-class stuff, and I hope to see some good football from the squad. But can they get out of their group? Ghana is the best team in Africa, Italy needs no introduction, and the Czechs have Nedved, big Jan Koller and Milan Baros. The USA will need a bit of luck to get around that lot, I think. If England had been in that group instead of the USA I'd be mourning already.

In my opinion Rooney's broken foot is an insurmountable hex on England's hopes of reaching the Final, although I'm keen to see what 17-year-old wild-card Theo Walcott can do.

Can't wait for this! There is nothing quite like the world cup for excitement.