Page 5 of 10 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-08, 12:09

drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-08-15, 23:56

So another Apple product I've found wanting is FaceTime.

On several occasions I've gone around there bend trying to get it to work with a colleague on his laptop. The way that it's assigned to a phone number / Apple account / desktop has lead to issues connecting, forcing me to suggest that we flip over to Skype.

Now it looks like Google has it figured out, for mobile anyway.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/16/12...hat-app-launch

drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-10-12, 22:10

<ka-bump>

And this time from Mossberg, on Siri.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-10-13, 06:56

I agree entirely on Siri. I use it, occasionally - very occasionally only - because it is more frustrating than useful, other than for very simple tasks (and even those it often flubs). It is amazing to me how little it has improved.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-10-13, 12:23

It's a part of the pattern.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-10-16, 10:06

I know that I'm a nagging nanny at this point, but sheesh.

Apple's disgracefully outdated Mac lineup is killing sales

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2016-10-17, 09:27

One thing, it's making the Mac Pro I got years ago hold up well.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2016-10-17, 13:28

Mine too! I have a Mac Pro 5,1 and the price tag was nasty and hard to justify. Fortunately there was just one model after and then... *crickets*

Good 'ol machine, though it has developed quite a temper as of late.
(I took it out to blow the dust off yesterday and it looks like the thermal grease melted/oozed out from under the heatsink and down the processor card. Never seen that before.)

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-10-17, 14:37

I have the 5,1 model, really liked that one too. Loved the space, and I was able to cram a decent video card in it to play games eventually.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-10-31, 08:07

https://medium.com/charged-tech/appl...89b#.qu4kule9y

Just came across this in reaction to the new MacBook Pros with the touch bar. Seems to hit on a lot of the same points that have been brought up in this thread. The biggest thing for me is it seems like they're trying to arrive somewhere with all their changes to ports and stuff, but I don't know where they're going and in the meantime you have to buy a million dongles to make things work together. Even if you buy brand new everything today, you need extra adapters.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-10-31, 08:13

If they make a monitor that is a hub then it starts to make sense. Basically the MBP is the brains and taps into the other hardware via USB. Then you end up with one or two cables connected to the MBP and everything else to the dock/monitor. When you need to go, you unplug and go. Since you are paying for iCloud storage and it has your Desktop and Documents folder synced you have everything you need to go with you. If you don't have WiFi where you are going then you surely have an iPhone and will share it's hotspot.

No need for a "desktop" Mac because it's all in the MBP and now mobile too. Use an iPad if you really want to be mobile and don't need all the power. Heck, given the push to USB-C I will be shocked if the next wave of iOS devices don't have USB-C instead of lightning.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2016-10-31, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
https://medium.com/charged-tech/appl...89b#.qu4kule9y

Just came across this in reaction to the new MacBook Pros with the touch bar. Seems to hit on a lot of the same points that have been brought up in this thread. The biggest thing for me is it seems like they're trying to arrive somewhere with all their changes to ports and stuff, but I don't know where they're going and in the meantime you have to buy a million dongles to make things work together. Even if you buy brand new everything today, you need extra adapters.
This paragraph in that article is just devastating when you think about it.

Quote:
Why can’t you plug the Lightning headphones that come in the iPhone box into the new Mac? Why doesn’t the iPhone come with the right cable for the new MacBook Pro? Why doesn’t Apple make a screen that properly works with its own devices? Why did Apple highlight how great the Touch Bar is for Messaging, but didn’t even port most of the new iMessage features to macOS properly? Do I have to carry two pairs of headphones now? How do I charge my Lightning cable mouse? Why remove the HDMI port, a standard that’s still incredibly popular for plugging into TVs? Why remove the SD card, a popular slot for… creatives using cameras?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-10-31, 10:19

Exactly. There's a ton of stuff that's incredibly confusing for non-computer experts. Even as a tech-head myself (although I have primarily used Windows for the past several years), it's a confusing rabbit hole of proprietary connectors. Some are on the iPhone, some are on the Mac (and different ones on different Macs), and it's hard to figure out which cable(s) and/or adapter(s) you need if you are buying a Mac today. I feel like they should throw in a baggie full of them if you're paying the inflated prices for one of these new MacBooks.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-10-31, 10:59

I think a year ago my sister in law bought an Apple laptop that couldn't connect to any of their displays. I feel like in a year, they haven't learned a damn thing, and instead are making the problem worse.

I feel less hope for Apple's future now than the dark times in the 90's.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Dr. Bobsky

2016-10-31, 12:24

There are odd choices all around... The fact that I have to buy a 70 eur dongle to convert usb-c to vga (yes, vga), a dongle for ethernet access, a dongle for 'normal' usb, a dongle for... Whatever weight savings the laptop has has been more than made up for by the weight in dongles I have to carry around for the laptop to be functional. It's a cute idea, really, one port to rule them all, but why the hell didn't they just use a usb-c port in the iphone, why the hell is there a headphone jack in the laptop. Does Jony Ive even work anymore?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-10-31, 14:21

I came here to post the same story.

It's fucked up is what it is.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2016-10-31, 14:44

Switching all the USB ports to USB-C isn't horrible IMHO... Cables are cheap, as are adapters for devices whose cable is hard-wired. If they were *only* USB-C, I'd wish for a regular USB 3.0 port or two, but since they're really Thunderbolt ports, I'm ok with it.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-10-31, 22:59

At least the new MBPs will have the same port for the foreseeable future. How many on each device will change, but they will likely stick to this form/style for a while now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-11-07, 11:58

Just got to the office without my carrying case full of dongles and now I'm useless.

At least my computer looks sexy as hell

Thanks, Tim Cook!

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-11-07, 12:24

Drew you need to get this: https://thisisground.com/products/te...ant=4318219589
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-11-07, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
LOL – a box of wires for the modern road warrior.

I essentially have the same thing, a little red zip-up case with a bunch of fucking dongles in it, held in place with elastic bands.

MADDENING.

Come out and fight me, Tim Cook, if you're not a coward!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-11-15, 08:00

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/15/...nd-photo-book/

This is starting to feel like 90s Apple
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-11-15, 08:23

Best part, two price points. Today's Apple can't even commit to a price point and size for a coffee table book.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-11-15, 14:52

90s Apple was desperate.

Releasing a book does not adversely affect Apple's R&D, release cycle or anything remotely related to their core business.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2016-11-15, 15:57

They need Ive to retire. This is getting sad.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-11-15, 17:46

Maybe. But who to replace him? IIRC, this community was overwhelmingly supportive of Ive when Forstall was forced out along with his design influences. I dissented because I honestly had zero issue with skeuomorphic interfaces being used in apps like Notes, the dialpad, etc.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-15, 21:02

I actually thought it was a late April fools joke. You know if this was announced April 1 we all would have laughed and joked about it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-11-15, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
90s Apple was desperate.

Releasing a book does not adversely affect Apple's R&D, release cycle or anything remotely related to their core business.
Give me a break.

Maybe if they were actually up to date on hardware revisions and not pushing 5 years for some products. And also pushing design boundaries with their products.

This is a joke.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-11-15, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
90s Apple was desperate.

Ives is doing interviews promoting a $300 book that glorifies his work a week before the holiday shopping season kicks into high gear.

What a joke.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-11-16, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
They need Ive to retire. This is getting sad.
Frankly the entire lot at the top needs to go, Cook and Lve's amongst them. They need people with imagination, not an obsessions with bulimic devices at the expense of usefulness.