User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Cocoa vs. Carbon

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cocoa vs. Carbon
azcoder

2006-01-13, 19:13

I am a newbie mac owner.....and don't know cocoa or carbon.

I am starting to port some of my c++/SDL/OpenGL game demos to the mac.

I found an SDL framework and example in cocoa and have started learning Objective-C.

The I read that most cross-platform apps (like iTunes) use Carbon while many mac-only apps use cocoa.

Question: If I plan on leaving the bulk of my app in C++, should I still learn/use cocoa or carbon for the base app framework? ( I would like to keep as much of my application cross-platform as possible)

Thanks for any feedback....
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-13, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcoder
Question: If I plan on leaving the bulk of my app in C++, should I still learn/use cocoa or carbon for the base app framework? ( I would like to keep as much of my application cross-platform as possible)
There's two options in that scenario. Most larger vendors pick the "easy" one, i.e. Carbon (which is primarily C++). However, there's another one that Apple, at least, prefers: use Cocoa, but for bridging, use Objective-C++.
Enki

2006-01-13, 23:50

If you know C++, you are about 95% of the way to understanding Obj-C. It's mainly just getting used to [foo barWithArgs:1 arg2:2] instead of foo->bar(1, 2)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-14, 01:09

I'd suggest Cocoa for the Mac-only bits. In my experience, it's just a better thought out framework that makes complex apps and GUIs a no-brainer. Since you're planning on already having a clean separation between cross-platform and Mac-only code, and since Obj-C++ is there for precisely this sort of situation, I'd say it's your best bet.

Learning Obj-C is trivial compared to learning how to get Carbon to behave properly for complex tasks, IMO.
azcoder

2006-01-14, 08:16

Thanks for the tips- I will continue my Objective-C learning and use Cocoa for the Mac-only stuff.......