Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Will Apple focus on ergonomics?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Will Apple focus on ergonomics?
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-09-16, 20:05

For one generation of the iMac (G4) they seemed to be on that path. Now they gone away from that. Even their newly designed keyboard is not very ergonomically designed (as nice as it looks).

Recently, Jobs spoke about Apple's environmentally friendly efforts. Might they one day make ergonomics the focus?
Or is this simply a niche feature that the general masses would not be interested in.
For instance, as odd as this sounds, would we ever see a slightly angled keyboard on a MacBook Pro?
shatteringglass

2007-09-16, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Even their newly designed keyboard is not very ergonomically designed (as nice as it looks).
Really? I think their new keyboard is much more ergonomic than any of their past keyboards. Their past two keyboard designs, especially, looked like repetitive stress injuries waiting to happen. They were just so high, my hands would start cramping just looking at them.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-09-16, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteringglass View Post
Really? I think their new keyboard is much more ergonomic than any of their past keyboards.
Yeah, they certainly are much better than the previous model, but are still "un-naturally" angled. I must commend Microsoft on some of their keyboards which are quite comfortable to use.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-09-17, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
For one generation of the iMac (G4) they seemed to be on that path. Now they gone away from that. Even their newly designed keyboard is not very ergonomically designed (as nice as it looks).
It, especially the wireless version, has better ergonomics than I have ever seen from a Microsoft keyboard. I have used Microsoft Natural Elite for a number of years in the past.
Quote:
Recently, Jobs spoke about Apple's environmentally friendly efforts. Might they one day make ergonomics the focus?
Or is this simply a niche feature that the general masses would not be interested in.
No and yes. It's not a niche feature when it would help a big part of users. On the other hand, the majority of users are not interested, not even the ones that would benefit, and will continue to pick plastic turds with as many multimedia buttons as possible.
Quote:
For instance, as odd as this sounds, would we ever see a slightly angled keyboard on a MacBook Pro?
Yeah, I wondered four years ago why they would not put an angled board on the 15" when there is plenty space for it.
aranhamo

2007-09-17, 09:22

At my last job, we were sent to two days of ergonomics training. At that training, they told us that Microsoft's Natural keyboards have poor ergonomics, and that the only reason they're comfortable for some users is because they have otherwise poorly designed work stations. They said the best keyboards were straight and as flat on the desk as possible, which would seem to indicate that Apple's new flat keyboard is very ergonomic.

They also said that Apple's mice, like the Mighty Mouse, have very poor ergonomics because they encourage the user to move the mouse with their wrist and fingers, rather than using your arm. The Logitech MX700 was used as the example of a mouse with good ergonomics, though they never saw fit to buy me one at work (I have one at home).

In the end, we found a number of problems with the way our work areas were set up, but my employer never did anything about it.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-09-17, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranhamo View Post
At my last job, we were sent to two days of ergonomics training. At that training, they told us that Microsoft's Natural keyboards have poor ergonomics, and that the only reason they're comfortable for some users is because they have otherwise poorly designed work stations. They said the best keyboards were straight and as flat on the desk as possible, which would seem to indicate that Apple's new flat keyboard is very ergonomic.
I recently picked up Microsoft's Optical Desktop 3000 which is very flat with a slightly curved outward keyboard. My wrists are now at a natural position when I type. If I had more money, I'd opt for an even lower profile one like the Desktop 7000.

I also use the MacAlly IceKey which has great feedback and low scissor keys. Apple's new keyboard is nice, but too flat and squishy lacking the tactile feedback that I like.
sebatlh

2007-09-17, 09:53

Quote:
They also said that Apple's mice, like the Mighty Mouse, have very poor ergonomics because they encourage the user to move the mouse with their wrist and fingers, rather than using your arm. The Logitech MX700 was used as the example of a mouse with good ergonomics, though they never saw fit to buy me one at work (I have one at home).
What?
How can moving your whole arm around be more ergonomic than just moving your wrist and fingers?
I have always found the other way around to be more comfortable. That's why I liked the hockey puck mouse, because you could move it around using just moving your fingers

I don't get how a straight keyboard can be good design either...

Well what do I know? =)
dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-09-17, 11:43

Quote:

In the end, we found a number of problems with the way our work areas were set up, but my employer never did anything about it.
Sounds like the trainers gave some good advice and some bad advice.

Split keyboards are a godsend for the RI problems of some users. I would question the intelligence and/or experience of any ergonomics consultant that claims otherwise.

But most important of all, don't believe all encompassing proclamations about ergonomics. Just as with prescription meds, taking the right medicine can be the lesser of two evils. A drug that helps one person may hurt another. The same is true for ergonomics.
washington mac user
can't read

2007-09-17, 13:29

I think that Microsoft's ergonomic keyboards are very well built. I felt so lazy typing on one because you don't have to reach as far to get to certain keys and the way your wrist lies on the pad makes it even better. For gaming though, I always use straight keyboards. Right now I'm using Logitech's G11.
Anthem

2007-09-17, 15:38

Yeah, Microsoft actually makes good peripherals.

The new Apple keyboard is ok, but actually not great for lots of typing. Looks nice, though, and definitely a step up from the old one.

The Mighty Mouse, though, is one of the biggest pieces of feces I've ever had the displeasure to use. I replaced it with a $3 optical mouse from MicroCenter that I haven't used because it's so bad, and it was still a marked improvement from the Mighty Mouse.
aranhamo

2007-09-17, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Yeah, Microsoft actually makes good peripherals.

The new Apple keyboard is ok, but actually not great for lots of typing. Looks nice, though, and definitely a step up from the old one.

The Mighty Mouse, though, is one of the biggest pieces of feces I've ever had the displeasure to use. I replaced it with a $3 optical mouse from MicroCenter that I haven't used because it's so bad, and it was still a marked improvement from the Mighty Mouse.
The thing I really hate about the Mighty Mouse, or rather two things, is that I constantly trigger the side buttons without meaning to, and the scroll ball requires practically daily cleaning or it stops working. I stopped using mine after a couple of weeks and went back to my old Logitech mouse. Right now, if I were to buy a new mouse, I'd probably buy an MX Revolution. I've only used it a little bit in stores, but I'm very impressed with it.