User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

New graphics card for MacPro (hackintosh)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New graphics card for MacPro (hackintosh)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-05-13, 13:28

So I'm looking to get a new graphics card for my hackintosh Mac Pro. The issue is that my current card isn't compatible with Mojave and isn't expected to ever be compatible. I've like something natively supported at least as much as possible. Any ideas for me to look at?

I saw some Vega style that are +$300 but I'm trying to stick closer to $100 since I really don't do heavy graphics stuff on these. It does need to power two 27" 1080p monitors with HDMI though. I can get adapters but would rather not if I can help it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-05-16, 12:15

I ended up going with this Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 570 4GB. Apple's documentation online recommends any "PULSE" AMD so it is where I landed. $140 wasn't a bad price. Now the trick is, will it work? That I don't know yet, it just got delivered a little bit ago and I can't shut down to install it yet. I'll let you know.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2019-05-16 at 12:31.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-05-18, 15:55

So just to finalize this, everything works perfectly with no extra drivers or anything with this graphics card. It was the smoothest I've had graphics on a hackintosh for that matter.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-05-18, 19:44

I"m glad this has worked out for you turtle.

Just amusing to see you work through the entire thing and keep everyone updated on the progress.

Nice work.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-05-22, 13:42

Thanks. I figured if I asked here I should put the details of what works. I always hate it when a search result on the web leads me to someone with the same issue and the resolution was "I fixed it myself." That is of no help to anyone!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-05-22, 14:18

Also, I have to say that switching to an NVMe SSD has made disk access absurdly fast!

That is with this Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 2TB SSD.

For comparison, this is the speed on the MBP 15" Touch Bar:

Just guessing, but maybe there were disk access things going on during the test on the MBP but I would expect it to be the same as the Intel.

For a better comparison, this is the Evo SATA SSD I'm coming from:

Also, the graphics card is way better than the one I was coming from. I'm able to maintain 60fps in Minecraft even when I'm really pushing the limits. I need to try a local world with TNT wars going on though, I haven't tried that just yet.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-05-22, 21:16

And to think that QLC nand drive is a slow NVME drive. The Samsung 970 Pro's are in the 3500mb/s read and 2300mb/s write. The WD Black I use in one of my machines is also not far from the Samsung. The downside is that the 500GB WD black cost as much as the 1TB 660p, so it really depends on your use case; endurance and speed vs price and data headroom.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-05-22, 21:37

Well exactly. I wanted the space and massive speed increase more than super duper fast and less space. Then I'm stuck relying on other drives. At this point my VMs all fly and have no IO issues and they all fit on the new drive.

I mean, I did actually get what I paid for. I had thought of going with a Samsung Pro but just couldn't stomach the cost/GB with my uses.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-05-23, 19:54

The only real downside to most of the QLC drives is that they lack DRAM, so they rely on using a portion of the drive operating in SLC mode to cache data, which means that as you fill it up it will get progressively slower. I was tempted to get the 2TB 660p, but figured a larger 4-6TB HDD would be more useful long term since drives larger than 1TB are only used for long term storage.

I wouldn't bother with the Samsung Pro either, the WD Black and 970 EVO are more than fast enough, and much less expensive per GB.