User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Car insurance from Progressive - too good to be true?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car insurance from Progressive - too good to be true?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-07-23, 11:47

I just got a quote from Progressive for like half what I would pay if I were to add my wife to my current State Farm policy. This is for a comparable level of coverage.

State Farm quoted $377 for me and my car and $301 for her and her car. So combined that's $678 for six months. That includes liability, un/underinsured, stacking PIP, and collision + comprehensive on my car (hers is old and isn't worth insuring for collision or comprehensive).

Going through Progressive, with a similar policy, it's $370-something. Not including a one-time $50 online discount.

I like State Farm and my agent is very helpful but honestly, for such a major savings I don't see any reason why NOT to switch. There has to be a catch! Does anyone here have Progressive or had them in the past? Do they hike your rates all the time or something?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-07-23, 11:50

I've been using Progressive for years. For just my car, it was ~$320/6 months. When we added my wife's new (edit: "new-to-us" used) car recently, combined we now pay ~$510/6 months.

Never had a problem with 'em. Granted, we both have pretty clean driving records. Also, we don't drive super-expensive cars. I drive an older Saturn and she drives a newer Civic.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-07-23, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Do they hike your rates all the time or something?
Forgot to mention:

I've never seen a rate hike. Quite the opposite: usually when it comes time to renew they drop my rate by another few dollars.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-07-23, 11:57

I go through Liberty Mutual for home/auto/life. Checked out Progressive & Geico and they both wanted hundreds more per year over what I'm paying. Yes I get a discount of some sort for getting all my stuff through Liberty but I can't imagine it's hundreds of dollars in discounts.

Also, the last time they called me to see how I was doing, they ended up shaving $50/month off my combined bills. That made me quite happy.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-07-23, 12:00

Nice.

It always seems like some companies will be way more expensive than others. Just depends on who you are. I'm sure Geico is cheap for some people, but for me it's really expensive. Maybe they specialize in covering people who have a hard time getting coverage from other companies or something. I don't have a hard time since I have no accidents or violations.

For fun, I checked out Allstate. Same cost as my State Farm and they didn't even add comprehensive or collision on my '08 car!
Noel

2010-07-23, 12:01

I actually switched from Progressive to Geico and saved myself over $100 every six months (15% or more!). Progressive was gouging me a little.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-07-23, 13:00

It's all based on what their in-house risk tables show, so it's always a good idea to call around every 5 years or so.

I've had companies be half the price of competitors, and they don't have any idea why the difference.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2010-07-23, 13:04

Interesting. I had Progressive when I lived in Virginia a few years ago but when I moved back to NY Geico was significantly cheaper so I switched. Geico was much more than Progressive in Virginia though, so it seems it has a lot to do with location.
Foj
Veteran Member

2010-07-23, 13:53

The car that you drive can also have an impact on what you pay. Some cars have a higher claim history.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-23, 14:02

I've had this thought at various times (adding my wife to my State Farm policy, consolidating policies with one company to get better multi-line discounts, etc). What I've found is that State Farm pretty much does cost more than most but they also have a better track record when it comes to not dicking you around when you have an accident, need a windshield replaced, etc. They pretty much are no questions asked when you need help (at least for auto).

But ultimately insurance is all a big game. They all try to nickle and dime you one way or another. I find the mistake I'm most guilty of is not revisiting things every couple years to see if certain types of coverage are now less important, etc. I think the real way to save money is to not buy coverage or extra riders that you don't really need. This is especially true of home owner's insurance. What a frickin headache trying to price all that stuff out....

...into the light of a dark black night.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-07-23, 14:39

I drive a Ford Pinto and I park by smashing into other cars' bumpers. What do you think my rates would be?
Foj
Veteran Member

2010-07-23, 14:43

Depends on if your wearing an asbestos suit.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-07-23, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Forgot to mention:

I've never seen a rate hike. Quite the opposite: usually when it comes time to renew they drop my rate by another few dollars.
That's been my experience with State Farm as well.

Of course, that's due to the fact that cars drop in value, so the insurance goes down...

Had SF for, oh... 20 years? Never had an issue with hassle over a claim, and really good reps so far, in WA, UT, NC, and NY. (Only one bungle, when I moved from NC to NY, and the NC office forgot to stop charging me... :P But, two phone calls later, it was resolved.)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-07-23, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Of course, that's due to the fact that cars drop in value, so the insurance goes down...
Yep! The whole idea of insurance rates going up over time seems totally backwards. Does that actually happen to people without provocation like getting tickets or wrecks?
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-07-23, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
State Farm quoted $377 for me and my car and $301 for her and her car. So combined that's $678 for six months. That includes liability, un/underinsured, stacking PIP, and collision + comprehensive on my car (hers is old and isn't worth insuring for collision or comprehensive).

Going through Progressive, with a similar policy, it's $370-something. Not including a one-time $50 online discount.
God only knows what your rates would be here in New Jersey. Young people with relatively new cars pay out the ass. Get a few tickets and you become practically uninsurable. If you are a male and under 25 with a decent car you would be paying over a thousand here.
Noel

2010-07-23, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
God only knows what your rates would be here in New Jersey. Young people with relatively new cars pay out the ass. Get a few tickets and you become practically uninsurable. If you are a male and under 25 with a decent car you would be paying over a thousand here.

Another good reason to never move to NJ.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-07-23, 16:32

Ended up doing it, though I paid $388 with the one-time online discount rather than the $317 I thought I'd get. My wife got a speeding ticket in early '08. Luckily, that'll be past the three-year cutoff soon enough.

I'll see how it goes!