AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple's ADD or Lack of Focus

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple's ADD or Lack of Focus
Page 10 of 10 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-11-28, 08:28

Ive removed from Apple’s leadership page.

Or, in Apple/Ive-speak, the new profile page is now remarkably thinner and lighter than the previous version, in a way that we could not have imagined just a few short years ago.

He’s done amazing work all these years, playing such a huge role in everything we touch and use everyday. Hard to imagine these past 20 or so years without his contributions!

But this honestly doesn’t bother/sadden me at all the way it might have 10 years ago. I actually find myself looking forward to what lies ahead in the coming years in a way I haven’t these past 5-6.

Change is good, and nothing lasts forever. If this sparks a return to a more equal balance of the form/function thing, to where performance is given equal, if not more, priority over “stylish desk art”, that would be wonderful. Apple stuff is never going to be ugly or clunky, so I don’t worry about that at all. But they may be more open to products staying at, or even possibly gaining a bit of room/heft, if it allows for superior performance, thermal and battery designs and approaches. I don’t think design should paint these kinds of products into corners, and sometimes it felt like it may have.

But the important, big picture thing is maybe this makes him happy, and he’s feeling challenged/invigorated once again? If so, good for him and I wish the man nothing but success. This is probably one of those situations where everyone - Ive, Apple, customers - wins/benefits.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-11-28 at 08:41.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-28, 12:49

Just remember that an apple product design cycle is about 2 years at the least, so Ive's fingerprints will be on everything coming out of Apple for at least the next two years. However, that does not mean that there hasn't been some "reversing" happening since Ive announced his resignation. At this point, others are in charge and he is only overseeing the last bits of his projects before he is very proudly ushered out the door.

He has contributed a great deal (just as Scott Forstall had) but his contributions are coming to an end.

One of my hopes is that Tim Cook and Jony Ive picked the correct person to replace him (and you bet your britches that Ive had some say in that). Let's hope that the next person executes the same sort of visionary approach that Ive had (although, as you said, Scates, with a bit more attention on function).

For instance, let's hope the next Home Pod has some hardware buttons. Let's hope that the next iMac can lose the chin while gaining more guts. Let's hope that the next iPod is the size of the last Nano but holds 128GB of music. Let's hope that Airport returns. Let's hope for a $1000 display and a $2000 Mac Pro for the rest of us. Let's hope the iPhone continues to sizzle. Let's hope that Ax for Mac becomes a hotly competitive reality. And let's hope that Apple can reignite our interest enough that these boards explode with excitement, again!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-11-28, 16:28

I would love to see AirPort return. Why did it have to go? By far the easiest thing to set up/maintain ever. I'm now having to use some Netgear wifi router since my last AirPort Express got zapped. It is nothing like Apple's ease of setup. If it acts up, I'm always so lost.

Yeah, nobody's asking for needlessly bulky, ugly hardware (and I don't think Ive is the only good designer out there). But if it comes down to a few millimeters or ounces here or there being the make-or-break on whether or not this or that component can be used, then I hope smart, sensible decisions would be made.

I've squawked for years about the pursuit of almighty thinness, so anything that might signal pulling that from that a bit is okay with me.

It'll be interesting to see what's available in 4-5 years, on the hardware front. Probably no drastic, top-down changes, but maybe just a different overall approach/focus?

I think the loss of Jobs was a push for him too. That was his buddy and partner-in-crime. With Steve no longer around to both appreciate - and maybe even veto/rein in some ideas when needed - it was only a matter of time. Surprised he made it eight years, honestly. I figured he was out the door by 2014-2015.