Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple's ADD or Lack of Focus
Page 3 of 10 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-27, 00:42

Totally.

Nothing lasts forever.

Just for fun here's a list of the world's oldest companies.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-04-27, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
It's impossible to grow forever. Apple is still a massively profitable company.
Yes. But still very much a one trick pony.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-27, 10:16

That's the media talking.

Apple has more multi-billion-dollar tricks than any other company out there. If the SEC came along and divided all of Apple's tricks up (Mac, iPod, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV), each would be a super-sccuessful, highly profitable corporation and still scorned the world over because other tech companies can't figure out how to make any money making [what they think is] the exact same stuff.

Personally, the only lasting mistake I think Apple is making involves making iOS too complicated and MacOS too simple. They're doing it because there is a convergence coming, but it's that convergence that stands the greatest risk of ruining the whole works.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-04-27, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
That's the media talking.

Apple has more multi-billion-dollar tricks than any other company out there. If the SEC came along and divided all of Apple's tricks up (Mac, iPod, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV), each would be a super-sccuessful, highly profitable corporation and still scorned the world over because other tech companies can't figure out how to make any money making [what they think is] the exact same stuff.

Personally, the only lasting mistake I think Apple is making involves making iOS too complicated and MacOS too simple. They're doing it because there is a convergence coming, but it's that convergence that stands the greatest risk of ruining the whole works.
That's the apple apologist talking :-)

Joking.... kind of... not really. The fact of the matter is yes, Apple is a massive company and their other businesses broken out would be big companies on their own.... however, none of them would be anything special on their own. Mac sales are flat and inevitably going to start going down. iPad sales have been shrinking for 2 years now. iPod is dead. Apple Watch has had an early adopter boost of a first year due to the size and success of Apple and the iPhone but its becoming clear that it's a crappy product. Apple TV is nothing special and Apple hasn't been able to do what they want with it. And Apple's services segment relies entirely upon it's success with iPhone.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-27, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
That's the apple apologist talking :-)

Joking.... kind of... not really.
I'm not an apologist, so you keep right on joking.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is yes, Apple is a massive company and their other businesses broken out would be big companies on their own.... however, none of them would be anything special on their own.
Bull. Compared to today's Apple? Sure, but any one of these businesses is far larger than it was just five years ago (excepting maybe iPod).

Quote:
Mac sales are flat and inevitably going to start going down.
And following the entire PC industry, which is entirely in decline. This reflects on changing consumer habits, not Apple failing.

Quote:
iPad sales have been shrinking for 2 years now.
Yes, they have. Apple has no idea what the iPad is, and in this segment, good enough is good enough. The fool things are lasting way too long (for Apple's bottom line), this year's newest iPad offers nothing compelling over last years (other than the display), and five year old iPads are still getting email and surfing the web just fine. Either way, it's still a hugely successful business.

Quote:
iPod is dead.
Yes and no. iPods are selling in lots of roughly 50 million. They just all look and feel exactly like iPhones. But, yes, iPod the lineup is dead and hidden within "other" now, although that segment is worth a few billion dollars.

Quote:
Apple Watch has had an early adopter boost of a first year due to the size and success of Apple and the iPhone but its becoming clear that it's a crappy product.
Not sure about "crappy product". I have met several people who own them and I have yet to hear words anywhere near that used as descriptors. What I hear is "awesome", "life altering", "amazing", "super cool" and etc. I have yet to hear a negative, face-to-face comment. I have no use for them, but the people I have met that actually own one have it on their wrist all the time and praise it continuously.

I will agree, however, that you think its a crappy product.

Quote:
Apple TV is nothing special and Apple hasn't been able to do what they want with it.
I think it is a very special product, and agree that Apple is handicapped by licensing arrangements, which is something I have commented on religiously regarding Apple TV.

Quote:
And Apple's services segment relies entirely upon it's success with iPhone.
Yep. Which is precisely why I didn't call out services as a big business all on its own. No iPhone? No services to offer.

Hardware wise, Apple could spin off any product line and be successful with it. Each has a use and a following large enough to stay afloat and make good margins. Apple is no one trick pony. Their biggest pony is full of tricks and hugely valuable, and Apple has lots of ponies in play.

As far as the "slump" in iPhone sales is concerned, yeah, the entire smartphone industry slowed down. Says absolutely nothing about Apple or the iPhone, but says a lot about smartphone users. Oh, and iPhone sales followed Apple's guidance almost exactly, so there is no news here other than the media spin. Absolutely none!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-04-27, 20:40

Quote:
I'm not an apologist, so you keep right on joking.

Bull. Compared to today's Apple? Sure, but any one of these businesses is far larger than it was just five years ago (excepting maybe iPod).

And following the entire PC industry, which is entirely in decline. This reflects on changing consumer habits, not Apple failing.

Yes, they have. Apple has no idea what the iPad is, and in this segment, good enough is good enough. The fool things are lasting way too long (for Apple's bottom line), this year's newest iPad offers nothing compelling over last years (other than the display), and five year old iPads are still getting email and surfing the web just fine. Either way, it's still a hugely successful business.

Yes and no. iPods are selling in lots of roughly 50 million. They just all look and feel exactly like iPhones. But, yes, iPod the lineup is dead and hidden within "other" now, although that segment is worth a few billion dollars.

Not sure about "crappy product". I have met several people who own them and I have yet to hear words anywhere near that used as descriptors. What I hear is "awesome", "life altering", "amazing", "super cool" and etc. I have yet to hear a negative, face-to-face comment. I have no use for them, but the people I have met that actually own one have it on their wrist all the time and praise it continuously.

I will agree, however, that you think its a crappy product.

I think it is a very special product, and agree that Apple is handicapped by licensing arrangements, which is something I have commented on religiously regarding Apple TV.

Yep. Which is precisely why I didn't call out services as a big business all on its own. No iPhone? No services to offer.

Hardware wise, Apple could spin off any product line and be successful with it. Each has a use and a following large enough to stay afloat and make good margins. Apple is no one trick pony. Their biggest pony is full of tricks and hugely valuable, and Apple has lots of ponies in play.

As far as the "slump" in iPhone sales is concerned, yeah, the entire smartphone industry slowed down. Says absolutely nothing about Apple or the iPhone, but says a lot about smartphone users. Oh, and iPhone sales followed Apple's guidance almost exactly, so there is no news here other than the media spin. Absolutely none!
Despite all those words you just confirmed my point in the end. Any of apple's other business segments make for a "big" company but they don't make for a growth company or an exciting company.

Right now apple has ONE business sector that is "growing" and that's the Apple Watch. And despite your comments about hearing it as "life altering" it is not. It is a crappy poorly conceptualized product. I know. I own one. And wear it every single day. Do you? Am I happy with it? Yes. I bought the sport for what I consider a fair price to be an early adopter and have accepted it's many shortcomings. As a notification device, a pedometer and a basic fitness tracker it is decent. For everything else is absolutely sucks. But those other things really don't matter much to me as even if they worked better I have come to realize (and I hope apple has) that the watch is an awful touch device. Apps are awful on it and will continue to be even if the professor gets faster. Is it a great fitness device? Absolutely not. The screen does not work at all if your finger is even slightly wet from sweat and the screen is unreadable in direct sunlight and the touch interface far too small to practically use while running or exercising

But that is the one product that Apple has "growing". We will see if that lasts.

So how exactly are they not a one trick pony? The rest of their business has reached maturity stage. Apples unique position is their cash hoard and their ability to take extremely large risks that others can't and so far we haven't seen that. The Apple car makes a lot of sense when you look at it from that perspective.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-27, 21:29

Ken I actually do read your responses as from the perspective of an apologist BECAUSE you're defending the company's existing product line.

Apple has not been leading the industry in innovation since Steve got sick.

They're riding that wave to shore.

Where's the next big wave, Apple?

Where is it?

(still love ya man!)

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-04-28, 00:00

To me Apple looks like Microsoft at the end of the Window Xp era. Lots of consumers with products, but the product lines are aging. Dumping down of stuff (Mac OS), with no hope of improving if it keeps going the way it is. Long term users leaving (people who have used Apple products since the 1980s), because it's getting dumbed down and cannot get the job done as a result.

Apple truly is a one trick pony right now, iPhone. Everything else is just a side show or add-on to them, and it shows.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-04-28, 01:47

Personal experience, I have an iPad Mini (original) that has gotten slower and slower with each OS update. I should have just ignored all the updates and left it on iOS 6 or 7, but it's impossible to roll back now.

Most blatant example of planned obsolescence I've ever encountered. Apple even promotes it under the guise of "long-term support" for their older devices. I'm sure the idea was to get me to toss the thing and buy a new one, but instead it's made me not want to buy another Apple product again. At this point it is used for exactly one thing, Facetime, since there is no better alternative on Android.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-04-28, 06:54

Clean reinstall might help somewhat Luca. It did with with my iPad 2, which is running iOS 9 quite smoothly.

I have some other difficulties with Apple, but I think that Apple actually does a great job in backwards compatibility, within the limits of what is reasonable. Sure an older machine is not going to be as good with the newest software as a new machine, but my old iPad 2 is still very functional. I did treat myself to the Air 2 recently, but the iPad 2 is still giving constant service in the hands of my son.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-04-28, 09:29

Already did a clean install. It helped a tiny bit for a few days, but it's still pretty awful. The keyboard lags and Safari is almost unusable.

I don't expect an older device to be perfect forever, but it bothers me that they keep rolling out OS updates when the older hardware obviously cannot handle it. It's a selling point but in my mind it's actually a strike against Apple devices. I know if I buy an Android tablet that I will be able to somehow roll back the software to an earlier version, even if it's difficult.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2016-04-28, 10:10

Quote:
Already did a clean install. It helped a tiny bit for a few days, but it's still pretty awful. The keyboard lags and Safari is almost unusable.

I don't expect an older device to be perfect forever, but it bothers me that they keep rolling out OS updates when the older hardware obviously cannot handle it. It's a selling point but in my mind it's actually a strike against Apple devices. I know if I buy an Android tablet that I will be able to somehow roll back the software to an earlier version, even if it's difficult.
Well, assuming it's software has major updates in the first place. Most of them don't, which is why Android security is such a nightmare.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-28, 10:42

I'm running an iPad 3 right now and it sucks. I can't play any of the games I normally do because they all choke. I only use Safari on it when I really must because my phone isn't available for some reason.

Really, I know it's old and don't mind upgrading other than it's just not a priority to me right now. Some day in the future I will, just not sure when that will be.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-04-28, 10:48

Hm.... I've been impressed with Apple's support for older hardware and the usable life I have gotten out of my iPads so can't say I agree with that being a major factor, especially for most people.

My Apple Watch has gotten slower with Apple's updates since release. WatchOS 2 was suppose to be this huge update that added fast native app support but if anything, it's gotten slower.

Kscherer, think Apple Watch is an incredible product? Try using Strava or other third party running apps on it..... it sometimes takes 45-60 seconds for the app to open, and the stats after flicking your wrist take several seconds to "refresh". touching the interface buttons is a guessing game of waiting and if it actually registered a touch. And then try to stop your run after your work out and you find that your finger is too sweaty to register a click and the time keeps going.... then you start wiping your hands and wiping the watch screen and then inadvertent swipes and taps happen. It's a wonderful user experience.... you really must try it! :-)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-04-28, 10:54

IIRC, iOS 10 is being developed under a new model, based on backlash from the iOS 9 slowdowns on older hardware.

iOS 9: Build all the features, test them on old hardware, start culling the ones that don't work at all. Stop when it's 'ok'.

iOS 10: Build a baseline set, then add features incrementally on all hardware unless they don't work well.

See the difference? In the former, you start with a slow ass system, and then remove things until "Well that's better". In the latter, you start with a snappy system, and add things until "Well, hmm. This is starting to lag."

These two approaches do *not* end up in the same place. 'Better' and 'oops' are subjective and based on where you start out.

I have some hopes moving forward that older hardware won't suffer quite so much.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2016-04-28, 11:21

Quote:
Apple has no idea what the iPad is, and in this segment, good enough is good enough. The fool things are lasting way too long (for Apple's bottom line), this year's newest iPad offers nothing compelling over last years (other than the display), and five year old iPads are still getting email and surfing the web just fine. Either way, it's still a hugely successful business.
I think that kind of summarizes Apple these days. Incremental small step upgrades to the product line to milk every penny out of them they can, instead of moving in leaps and bounds.

There was a reason people were excited to own the latest Apple crap in the past, and that was typically because it would do something great that previous products couldn't.

Instead it's a series of side show "let me tell you why this is cool, seriously" kind of crap with new releases. "Hey everyone, we totally fucked up our iWorks package, but it has CLOUD capabilities now, don't you all just LOVE that?"

Apple has been living in their own head space too long. They need to get out into the real world again, see how people are using their products, ask what people would be excited about and then make those things happen.

Their hardware is still fine, but I say that as I write this up on a 3 year old laptop that I have zero desire to 'upgrade' to their latest line. That never used to be the case. Before it was always work to justify why I don't need the latest gear. These days I'd have to make an effort to convince myself to upgrade.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-04-28, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
IIRC, iOS 10 is being developed under a new model, based on backlash from the iOS 9 slowdowns on older hardware.

iOS 9: Build all the features, test them on old hardware, start culling the ones that don't work at all. Stop when it's 'ok'.

iOS 10: Build a baseline set, then add features incrementally on all hardware unless they don't work well.

See the difference? In the former, you start with a slow ass system, and then remove things until "Well that's better". In the latter, you start with a snappy system, and add things until "Well, hmm. This is starting to lag."

These two approaches do *not* end up in the same place. 'Better' and 'oops' are subjective and based on where you start out.

I have some hopes moving forward that older hardware won't suffer quite so much.
I thought that was the new approach for iOS 9?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-04-28, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I think that kind of summarizes Apple these days. Incremental small step upgrades to the product line to milk every penny out of them they can, instead of moving in leaps and bounds.

There was a reason people were excited to own the latest Apple crap in the past, and that was typically because it would do something great that previous products couldn't.

Instead it's a series of side show "let me tell you why this is cool, seriously" kind of crap with new releases. "Hey everyone, we totally fucked up our iWorks package, but it has CLOUD capabilities now, don't you all just LOVE that?"

Apple has been living in their own head space too long. They need to get out into the real world again, see how people are using their products, ask what people would be excited about and then make those things happen.

Their hardware is still fine, but I say that as I write this up on a 3 year old laptop that I have zero desire to 'upgrade' to their latest line. That never used to be the case. Before it was always work to justify why I don't need the latest gear. These days I'd have to make an effort to convince myself to upgrade.
I think you're right in that Apple has been conservative with hardware risks but I think the bigger factor in what you point out is that Apple is not a great software producer anymore. Apple hasn't released a killer app in a long time. The "doing something great that previous products couldn't" relies heavily upon software innovation and the software pushing the hardware.

For how old iPhoto/Photos is.... that piece of software should be absolutely incredible by now, and doing things with photo management and photo editing and compositing that we didn't think was possible. But really, minus finally figuring out cloud syncing, Apple's photo management software doesn't do much more than the earliest versions of iPhoto.... and in many ways it does less or does what it does less intuitively.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-28, 12:16

Quote:
Kscherer, think Apple Watch is an incredible product?
Would you be so kind as to provide me with a quote of me ever once saying Apple Watch is an incredible product?

What I said is that the people I have spoke to in person have absolutely raved about it!

So, here's a question: What incredible new technology exists out there that Apple just absolutely needs to build into their products to make them compelling (I'm talking hardware, not software)?

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-04-28, 12:49

Quote:
Would you be so kind as to provide me with a quote of me ever once saying Apple Watch is an incredible product?

What I said is that the people I have spoke to in person have absolutely raved about it!
yet you felt confident enough to dispute my own personal take on it from my experience... so it seemed to me like based on your polling data you were at the very least suggesting it was a compelling product and that i was wrong with my assessment.

It sounds to me like the only person you talk to for feedback on the Apple Watch is Jim Dalrymple. Even John Gruber has been slamming it lately.

Quote:

Quote:

So, here's a question: What incredible new technology exists out there that Apple just absolutely needs to build into their products to make them compelling (I'm talking hardware, not software)?
It's not about incredible new technology. It's about innovation and simplifying existing and new technologies to create new and better ways of doing things. It's about pushing forward with both software and hardware innovation. Apple has never been successful being first to market with anything. But they have been successful with making things work the way they should work.... the way you imagine them working. They have never been about feature creep and what the market is demanding.

I do think the bean counters have gotten a hold of Apple since Steve's passing and i think that shows in their products and decision making process. The environmental initiatives may be noble and considered contrary to that statement but it's chump change and in a cynical way its just another sign of Apple worrying more about image and public policy relations than caring about producing the best products in the world.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-04-28, 13:13

Quote:

I must say that this has not been my experience with the iPad 2, which I believe has the same processor as your original Mini. Definitely no keyboard lags and Safari runs just fine. I wonder if it could be a particular app on your Mini that is slowing it down in the background. Just speculating.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-04-28, 13:22

I also remember reading that there are some obscure settings in iOS 9 that it is better to turn off for older iPads and that can make a big difference to performance. I don't believe I ever had them on in the first place on mine when I checked. I can't remember what those setting were - it was a few months ago that I read this - but a quick Google of 'iPad 2 slow on iOS 9' will, I think, bring up a number of suggestions. For me the suggestion that worked was a clean reinstall.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-28, 13:52

Quote:
yet you felt confident enough to dispute my own personal take on it from my experience... so it seemed to me like based on your polling data you were at the very least suggesting it was a compelling product and that i was wrong with my assessment.
You know what, you're right. You are as much entitled to your opinion as others are. However, you not liking your watch does not make it a terrible product. It makes it a terrible product for you. It being terrible for you does not make it terrible for others. With different use scenarios the folks I have talked to in person are in love with it, while you are not. I have the same explanation that I have for any product: Works for some, not for others. There is no such ting as "one size fits all". I have met people who could not figure out how to make a phone call on the original iPhone, where it could not get any easier on a device of that complexity. For them, it was a terrible product.

Quote:
It sounds to me like the only person you talk to for feedback on the Apple Watch is Jim Dalrymple.
That's a bit of a reach, BU. I don't read Dalrymple. This comes across more as an unfounded accusation than a reasonable response. And yes, Gruber has had some negative things to say, primarily revolving around the inconsistency of the buttons and what they do. He has also raved about it, gone back and forth, etc. However, if someone needs Gruber (or Dalrymple) to tell them whether or not they want/need something, then I might suggest they get off the couch and take a walk down to the local Apple Store, try it out for themselves, and make a decision based on whether or not it works for them. It working (or not) for the likes of Gruber or Dalrymple (or you, for that matter) is of zero consequence to their own, personal experience.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-04-28, 15:57

Quote:
You know what, you're right. You are as much entitled to your opinion as others are. However, you not liking your watch does not make it a terrible product. It makes it a terrible product for you. It being terrible for you does not make it terrible for others. With different use scenarios the folks I have talked to in person are in love with it, while you are not. I have the same explanation that I have for any product: Works for some, not for others. There is no such ting as "one size fits all". I have met people who could not figure out how to make a phone call on the original iPhone, where it could not get any easier on a device of that complexity. For them, it was a terrible product.

That's a bit of a reach, BU. I don't read Dalrymple. This comes across more as an unfounded accusation than a reasonable response. And yes, Gruber has had some negative things to say, primarily revolving around the inconsistency of the buttons and what they do. He has also raved about it, gone back and forth, etc. However, if someone needs Gruber (or Dalrymple) to tell them whether or not they want/need something, then I might suggest they get off the couch and take a walk down to the local Apple Store, try it out for themselves, and make a decision based on whether or not it works for them. It working (or not) for the likes of Gruber or Dalrymple (or you, for that matter) is of zero consequence to their own, personal experience.
You do realize these aren't special use cases right?

It's not like these products magically transform per user.

The issues i describe with the Apple Watch are real. The reviews from industry pundits are accurate but in some cases the positives (and the negatives) are embellished. i.e.: Dalrymple looking past all of the shortcomings because for whatever reason having the three rings on the watch face has made him feel the necessary motivation to lose a ton of weight. That's great... but THAT is a special case situation that attaches emotion to its evaluation of the product.

The latest round of critiques about buttons and third party apps and sluggishness and UI challenges.... those are all real and unfortunately they are unlikely to change. Apple put two hardware buttons on the watch that no one uses! Even worse.... no one ENJOYS using them. That's really the key with the Apple Watch. Apple Watch is at its best and most satisfying when you don't have to do anything with it. That's not just "for me". That is really what people enjoy about it, even if they don't realize it. There is potential in a device of that nature but Apple tried to have it be far too feature rich on Day 1 instead of doing what it does well.... REALLY WELL.

What does the Apple Watch do well?

1. Notifications (but the interface is really clumsy). They could have focused on Notifications and made them truly intelligent and feature rich but instead they are basically text messages without much intelligence.

2. Health tracking (pedometer, heart rate). They could have focused on this and made it have GPS and/or additional health sensors... this is what keeps people hooked on the device and this is where I see the most potential for future cult allegiance to the Apple Watch. Apple would be very wise to invest heavily in biometric sensors and do as much as they can with this. Those two hardware buttons? They should have been used for function rather than access to different interfaces. Those two buttons absolutely need to perform functions in the Fitness app. I do not see the reality of a touch screen not working in wet conditions (sweat) changing anytime soon.

3. NFC..... Apple Pay works.... but it could work SO MUCH BETTER. It needs to work without a phone. The NFC sensor also needs to be opened up to third parties. Right now they only have access to bluetooth. Huge potential in the Apple Watch becoming your wallet, your boarding passes, and your keys for your life. But Apple did very very little to get there. And these actions should not require interaction with the watch. it should just know the nearby sensor... load the correct app/pass/card/key and work.... this is how Apple pay on the iPhone use to work (maybe still does?).

and a distant 4th.... Siri. If they can get Siri to work fast and without an iPhone... then it becomes much more usable as a personal assistant... but the lack of audible feedback really makes Siri feel weird.... even if its fast it just doesn't feel right and it's not enjoyable to use. And the lag on the Apple Watch makes it so that when you are using it you feel the need to stare at the watch to make sure its working.... and if the screen turns off or if you move your wrist you fear that it will stop working and you will have to start over. There is nothing enjoyable about it. It's not that typical Apple innovation of taking several technologies, putting a sweet UI on it, and making it feel fun to use.... to the point where the technology and its limitations are invisible..... all of the limitations of the technology in the Apple Watch are very visible.

And that's it. Everything else really doesn't matter... photos app, music playing (i sometimes use), remote control for Apple TV, the stupid digital communication app that Apple made, third party news apps and games... it all doesn't matter... Apple should have ignored all of that for the Apple Watch rev 1. I hate invoking the "if Steve was around" thing but I really do feel that the Apple Watch suffered immensely from a lack of laser vision on what really made it a special product. What is the game changer about it? it's not looking at microscopic photo albums and scrolling through news headlines, all of which say you need to switch to your iPhone to continue reading. It's instead the 4 features I listed above.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-05-07, 08:46

This thread seems like as good a place as any...

Upcoming iTunes 12.4 update to (re)introduce persistent sidebar and other UI tweaks.

Translation: "We've really shit the bed with usability and this new 'flat' aesthetic, so, after two years, we're gonna kinda start putting things back like they were before Ive and company started mangling the appearance/usability of OS X, iOS and their associated apps. You're welcome."

Maybe they'll attempt something similar for the wretched, impossible-to-grasp Photos?

Here's hoping.

Maybe this whole iPhone SE situation has caused them to realize how arrogant and out-of-touch they can be, and that maybe *gasp* giving customers what they want/enjoy/understand is a better approach than "here's what we're doing, and you'll like it because, hey...we're Apple. We barely have to try at this point! Where else are you gonna go, nerds?"

Naaah, who am I kidding...it'll be like every iTunes release in recent memory: for every thing it fixes/improves, it'll screw up 2-3 more.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-05-07, 10:43

iTunes and Photos are both hot messes. iTunes because it keeps adding more crap, and Photos because it took all the crap away.

With these two pieces of software, Apple needs to do some things:

Photos:

- Bring back iPhoto. Yep, that should be enough

iTunes:

- Apple Music should be its own app
- Device management should be its own app (including all elements of device syncing)
- Videos and TV should be stripped out to their own Videos app
- iTunes should be a CD-ripper and catalogue for *ahem* music!

iSync should come back and be a device syncing tool. Plug a sync-able device in and a window should pop up showing all your synced devices, with the one you just plugged in highlighted. Click the device and a little prompt asks what you want to do: Sync with iPhoto, sync with iTunes, sync with Calendars, sync with Contacts. Whatever. You could even click a device not plugged in and tell iSync what you want to do next time the device is connected. Future Sync™!

Apple will not do this. Because.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-05-07, 12:53

My only add-on to what you've said is that iSync needs to look for wifi devices and sync them automatically when charging too. This way when we get out wireless charging and don't plug our devices in anymore it will still work.

I do agree with your idea on how the app should be split up though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-05-07, 14:05

iTunes is a cluster for one reason and one reason only, to keep idevices working with Windows based computers. Unless that changes, which I doubt, iTunes will remain a cluster of crap.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-05-07, 19:58

I don't think they would have to change iTunes for Windows, for two reasons.

1) the data can be monkeyed about from two different methods, me thinks

2) most Windows users I have encountered who use iPhone/iPad have no idea what iTunes is (i.e., they've never even connected said iThing to their computer, like, ever!)

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2016-05-07, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Maybe this whole iPhone SE situation has caused them to realize how arrogant and out-of-touch they can be, and that maybe *gasp* giving customers what they want/enjoy/understand is a better approach than "here's what we're doing, and you'll like it because, hey...we're Apple. We barely have to try at this point! Where else are you gonna go, nerds?"
I'm actually a little excited Apple is floundering around. Remember the iMac came out of the biggest dip in Apple history and before that they had cycles of growth and stagnation.

My gut says someone got the memo. Thinner doesn't matter anymore, smaller doesn't matter, simplicity is over-emphasized. I think the whips are starting to crack in those engineering departments and if history repeats its self, when Apple is out of their comfort zone we'll start seeing new, cool products again. More functions, more capabilities, better Interoperability. (Still no clones)

I'll give it a few years, but Apple might be running low on ammunition+feet; time for the brain to take over.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET