Apple's ADD or Lack of Focus
Page 4 of 10 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-05-07, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

2) most Windows users I have encountered who use iPhone/iPad have no idea what iTunes is (i.e., they've never even connected said iThing to their computer, like, ever!)
This baffled me for the longest time. You are right though, the more I talk to PC users with an iPhone they have never connected it to a computer. After Apple pushed this:

They would still have a means to cable connect a PC for the masses that do connect that way... or make iCloud storage cheaper.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-05-07, 22:39

I'm one of only two (maybe three, I haven't checked in a while) people I know who connects their iPhone to iTunes for syncing (and, more importantly, backing up).

Pretty much everyone I know - particularly non-Mac users - has never connected their iPhone to a computer/iTunes. And as much as I'd like to say "it's because they're all using iCloud", I can't...these people have never backed up their phones, anywhere, to anything!

It's gonna be ugly when the inevitable occurs.

But I'm tired of beating the drum. Let some of them lose about 300-400 cherished photos/videos and maybe they'll realize why it's important.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-05-08, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
...when Apple is out of their comfort zone we'll start seeing new, cool products again. More functions, more capabilities, better Interoperability...
I sure hope so, but I can't shake the belief that without a tech-minded leader with a clear vision the company will remain a mere manufacturer.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2016-05-08, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
But I'm tired of beating the drum. Let some of them lose about 300-400 cherished photos/videos and maybe they'll realize why it's important.
Yep, my sister didn't backup and lost a year and half of videos and photos of the kids when an update bricked the phone prompting a restore.

The only thing that saved her from losing 3 year of stuff was that when iCloud was originally introduced it was on for backups by default.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-05-08, 23:47

Another log for this crazy bonfire we're building, this time from Forbes:

iPhone 7 Leak Reveals Significant Feature Removed

This one is based on speculative intel that Apple has removed rumored updates from the phone.

Now, having personally been labeled a troll by Craig Federighi, I feel embarrassed to be reacting to the rumored scuttling of a rumored upgrade, but the commenter's points that the hardware features are becoming balkanized across the product line are correct and seem to point to the lack of a "grand plan" as we so often fantasized existed in one of Steve's underground S.H.I.E.L.D. style bunkers.

I am due to upgrade this time around, as my 5s is long in the tooth and battle-damaged, and I have to confess that I am excited to hear the rumor that the rumored digital audio connector won't make it in this time around – that means that I won't be facing a revamp of my current system, unless Craig and Eddie embark on some madcap scheme to personally screw me over just because I grumbled that the digital fireball didn't hold their feet to the fire on Apple's confounding software shenanigans.

It's late and I'm writing a Pscates-length novella, something that I try to avoid these days, so allow me to close with: what have you done for us lately, Tim Cook?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-05-09, 00:57

So what is the meat of the article you linked to? They want me to disable ad-blocking to see it and I have no plans to do that.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2016-05-09, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So what is the meat of the article you linked to? They want me to disable ad-blocking to see it and I have no plans to do that.
*Fist Bump*

My first thought is how do I break this... didn't think to disable it. Also, nope.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-05-09, 05:57

Quote:
Maybe this whole iPhone SE situation has caused them to realize how arrogant and out-of-touch they can be, and that maybe *gasp* giving customers what they want/enjoy/understand is a better approach than "here's what we're doing, and you'll like it because, hey...we're Apple. We barely have to try at this point! Where else are you gonna go, nerds?"
Here are the discontinuation dates of 4" iPhones:

iPhone 5 - Sept. 10, 2013
iPhone 5C - Sept. 9, 2015
iPhone 5S - Mar. 21, 2016

Except for 10 days in March this year, the 4" iPhone has been continuously available since inception. We all knew a 4" iPhone update was coming, and so did Apple. It was just a matter of waiting for the natural death of the 5S because remember -- old iPhone models stick around for a generation. With the iPhone 5C/5S split, Apple deprecated the 5C after one full generation and the 5S followed a half generation later. It all went according to a well thought out plan, so I find it odd that you think Apple was being arrogant or out-of-touch.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-05-09, 09:19

Well I do, because it could've all happened from the get-go and there would've been nothing for people to squawk and write Apple about, these past 18 months. They had a proven winner in the 4" size (gazillions of 5, 5s and 5c models out there). And yes, just because some were on the two-year cycle that doesn't mean a) everyone has one, or b) an A8 or A9-equipped 4" model in 2014 or 2015 wouldn't have sold in huge numbers (people like me, coming off a 2012 iPhone 5, etc.).

If it was some master "plan" that all went perfectly, it seems they sure took the long, aggravating way around the bend to make it happen...go a year-and-a-half without a current-spec'd 4" model, then release one in mid-cycle in a three-and-a-half year old body design? It smacks of scrambling and "oh crap, we kinda misjudged all this", IMO.

I've seen fifth-grade talent shows better coordinated/staged.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-05-09 at 10:47.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-05-09, 16:00

Sorry y'all, didn't realize it was doing that...

Quote:
Do you want an iPhone 7? In past years this would’ve been a rhetorical question. Of course millions and millions of Apple AAPL +0.12% customers wanted the latest and greatest iPhone. But doubts are growing about what users might get in 2016…

And now according to the usually reliable Macotakara, Apple’s latest hardware innovation to be pulled from the iPhone 7 is the ‘Smart Connector’.

Interestingly this was clearly visible in a leaked iPhone 7 prototype (identifiable by the three dots on the back of the device – below) and Macotakara says Apple decided not to carry it forward to the final design.

What is the Smart Connector? In short: something potentially rather exciting.

Apple introduced the Smart Connector with the iPad Pro range and it enables the Lightning port to deliver both power and data simultaneously. For example, with the iPad Pro this means third party keyboards don’t require batteries or charging – they just work the moment they are plugged in.

How would this be used with iPhones? That would obviously be up to Apple and creative third parties to decide, but with accessories able to take power from an iPhone it could’ve led to some seriously sleek wireless headphones, mini keyboards, ‘smart’ protective cases, etc.

iPhone 7 Feature Cuts Mount

Meanwhile the eagle eyed will spot this isn’t the first time Apple has supposedly scaled back ambitions for the iPhone 7. Breaking from tradition, Apple is widely thought to have ditched a new design for the iPhone 7, instead sticking with the same chassis as the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S.

Meanwhile, despite controversially removing the headphone jack, it appears Apple has not used the internal space this saves too much obvious effect with minimal battery life gains and tentative plans for a second speaker also pulled.

In fact famously accurate KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has claimed the iPhone 7 will not have “many attractive selling points”.

Bigger Apple Concerns

All of which has me worried.

Yes Apple suffered its first major iPhone sales decline last month, but it still made millions. Instead my issue is with Apple’s growing practice of fragmenting its hardware innovations.

Think about it for a minute. On the software side, iOS is lauded for its lack of fragmentation compared to Android but equally key is the major advantage of hardware unity as well. Features like Touch ID gain traction as Apple included it in all iOS devices ensuring developer support, while Android struggles to get anything like the same unity between manufacturers.

But right now Apple’s strategy is faltering.

For example, the company introduced 3D Touch on the iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus, but left it out the iPhone SE and iPad Pro range making it a curiosity rather than a key differentiator to rivals. Similarity the Smart Connector now looks marooned on the iPad Pro range when it should be spread liberally across all Apple hardware to encourage user adoption.

What could be fuelling this? Is the so-called ‘All glass’ iPhone 8 the real priority? At this point it’s impossible to say. I’d advise staying calm for now. After all there is still plenty of time for Apple to pull out some surprises and wow us with the iPhone 7.

But right now, it’s not looking great…
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-05-09, 17:48

Quote:
Well I do, because it could've all happened from the get-go and there would've been nothing for people to squawk and write Apple about, these past 18 months. They had a proven winner in the 4" size (gazillions of 5, 5s and 5c models out there). And yes, just because some were on the two-year cycle that doesn't mean a) everyone has one, or b) an A8 or A9-equipped 4" model in 2014 or 2015 wouldn't have sold in huge numbers (people like me, coming off a 2012 iPhone 5, etc.).

If it was some master "plan" that all went perfectly, it seems they sure took the long, aggravating way around the bend to make it happen...go a year-and-a-half without a current-spec'd 4" model, then release one in mid-cycle in a three-and-a-half year old body design? It smacks of scrambling and "oh crap, we kinda misjudged all this", IMO.

I've seen fifth-grade talent shows better coordinated/staged.
Try to think about this logically (logistically) rather than whatever mode you are in right now. I'm not talking about 2-year contract cycles. I'm talking about Apple's planned obsolescence. Premium -> budget -> discontinuation.

1a) How easy do you think it was for Apple to obtain A8s for the original iPhone 6 and 6 Plus?
1b) How do you think a third set of SKUs would have affected supply and inventory in stores?
2) Until the die shrink to 14/16nm FinFET, what do you think battery life would have been like on a 4" phone?
3a) What would the pricing structure have been like?
3b) Would you have Apple shutdown the iPhone 5S production line prematurely and lose the profits that go with it? Having to make four different PCBs and four different enclosures seems terrible.

Also you could have bought an iPhone 5S in 2014 and an iPhone SE in 2016. It's pretty much your own fault for waiting so long. Especially now that contracts are disappearing. If you aren't selling a used phone within 1-2 years, you aren't getting money's worth.

The more I think about your situation, the more I realize how specific it is. You fall into a small subset of consumers who demanded a new 4" phone inside the window of 2015. The irony being you're the kind of user who holds onto their phones for three years, so you really don't need the latest, greatest hardware anyway.

Yep, you should have just bought an iPhone 5S 1.5 years ago and handed down your 5 to a relative or sold it while it still had good resale value.

Last edited by Eugene : 2016-05-09 at 22:23.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-05-12, 23:22

I was pleasantly surprised at what I got for a three-year-old iPhone 5. The new battery (which was covered by Apple) surely helped a bit, but it was still a solid performer in excellent, like-new condition and it went to the right person.

The SE hit at a good time. Just wish that size had been around all along because I certainly would've bought a 4" 6s well before the end of 2015.

But I have a phone I'm happy with, paid-for upfront and all mine (first time I've ever gone this route) so its really all just after-the-fact, who-gives-a-damn jibber-jabber at this point, isn't it?

Old habits.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-05-12, 23:34

That's as may be, mate, but they're still screwing the pooch on the company's future!!!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-05-13, 08:20

I take it all back!!

Apple invests in Chinese Uber

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-05-13, 11:04

Apple says they're investing in Didi Chuxing to learn about the Chinese market. What market might that be? Hmmm …

I think it's more than that. What do you guys wanna bet Apple's investment requires GPS tracking information in all those "taxis"? I think Apple is using those cars to accurately map China and track how Chinese people drive, because Cars!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-05-13, 12:25

Well, I have noticed that Chinese Google maps is really incomplete and inaccurate. Apparently this is due to Chinese law restricting mapping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restri..._data_in_China

Getting accurate maps of China would require special authorization from the Chinese government. If they become partners with Didi Chuxing, maybe they can get access to the accurate maps that they must have in order to operate there. And maybe that could pave the way toward bringing a self-driving car to China. I don't know, just spitballing.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-05-14, 01:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Apple says they're investing in Didi Chuxing to learn about the Chinese market. What market might that be? Hmmm …

I think it's more than that. What do you guys wanna bet Apple's investment requires GPS tracking information in all those "taxis"? I think Apple is using those cars to accurately map China and track how Chinese people drive, because Cars!
When I saw that a couple days ago, my first thought was the same as Luca's last. Autonomous car trials in a random central/western Chinese city like Chengdu or something.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-05-14, 06:40

In a few years you guys can tell me what a great investment this was but for now it's on my list of "things that Apple shouldn't be fucking with".

(Everyone I know in San Francisco (a small and finite amount) is obsessed with the Chinese market, going out of their way to cater to it, sometimes to ridiculous extremes.)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-05-14, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
In a few years you guys can tell me what a great investment this was but for now it's on my list of "things that Apple shouldn't be fucking with".

(Everyone I know in San Francisco (a small and finite amount) is obsessed with the Chinese market, going out of their way to cater to it, sometimes to ridiculous extremes.)
I sort of agree. Everyone wants to be part of the Chinese market because it's so huge, but they're not going to let companies like Apple get a foothold. We've seen Google and Facebook try and they were thwarted, and Chinese companies release alternatives.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-05-14, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
We've seen Google and Facebook try and they were thwarted, and Chinese companies release alternatives.
Yes, and yes.

I would prefer Apple dishwashers to Apple cars.

iWash™
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-06-08, 22:59

Yay!!!

Major iTunes Overhaul to be Announced at WWDC

Who said companies don't listen to their users... ten years later.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-06-08, 23:04

Maybe. Or they might make it look like Photos, but for Music.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-06-09, 22:21

That I would totally expect.

Don't forget to attempt to force us to pay for Apple Music while increasing out iCloud Storage option too.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-06-10, 13:38

Quote:
That I would totally expect.

Don't forget to attempt to force us to pay for Apple Music while increasing out iCloud Storage option too.
It'd be nice if at the very least they made Mail not count toward iCloud storage.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-06-10, 14:46

It would, but given the number of people who hoard mail and the attachments in mail I don't blame them for making it part of it. Not being able to backup my iPhone though, that sucks. For me it means I just back them up locally to an iTunes install.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-06-10, 17:38

Quote:
It would, but given the number of people who hoard mail and the attachments in mail I don't blame them for making it part of it. Not being able to backup my iPhone though, that sucks. For me it means I just back them up locally to an iTunes install.
The free level is just inadequate for even casual users. You should be able to backup your iPhone to iCloud for free. Period.

If you own multiple iOS devices and have them registered to the same Apple ID your iCloud free storage should increase proportionately.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-06-10, 22:43

I totally agree with you on this. This is also where Apple's bean counters have come into play. Get them to buy an iPhone then pay at least $.99 a month to backlit up hassle free. "It's only $.99 a month after all." No thank you. I don't want to pay for storage when I have TBs of it in my house.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-08, 11:36

When OS X is being a smart-ass...

Dave
Ninja Editor

2016-08-08, 11:45

What, it's not giving you an eta down to the millisecond? :-)

How long did actually take?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-08, 11:56

About 18-20 minutes. This popped up at the very end, with about "one minute remaining". Stayed that way about 45 or so seconds, enough to snap a pic (and to make me think I might need to do some serious calendar-clearing).

If I did my math right, I think that comes to over 159,000 years. My iMac will probably be obsolete by then!