AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Watch / watchOS updates

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Watch / watchOS updates
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-06-03, 12:21

Strong health focus, unsurprised! Also impressed by the amount of focusing on privacy, especially of health related data.

watchOS 6
  • new faces showing up
  • I am really excited about calculator and tip calc and splitting on the watch, I'm stupid at math and need this
  • Apps store comes to watch!
  • improvements to the Activity app include "activity trends" - last 90 days and last year.
  • noise app to help protect hearing by warning you about loud sounds
  • cycles tracking now part of health app on both watchOS and iOS

Apple Watch series 5

(I'll stick stuff in here if they talk HW).

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-03, 12:54

I like some of the new faces. Activity Trends sounds good as well.

Guess I'll need a new watch. (I'm on an S0, so no 5.x much less 6.0 for me.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 14:46

The features look great for health tracking. I've been working out again and actually using the health features all the time now. Heck, my watch face is my rings.

The trend data is really going to be helpful. At one point back when Wyatt and a few of us were "gamifying" our workouts I got down to 170. Then it creeped back up and I never noticed... The trend thing seems like a great way to remind is to cut the calories and get up and do something.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-06-03, 22:59

Gamifying workouts? I'm intrigued to hear some more...
Dave
Ninja Editor

2019-06-03, 23:28

Yeah, that caught my eye, too.

The Activity Trends, I mean. Some other stuff, too, but that's what jumped out at me. So much of the achievements and such that watchOS does now revolve around not missing a single day... sometimes people get sick, sometimes they have a really long day and can't get to their exercise until after midnight, and sometimes they eat a watermelon... Trends, both in activities and health metrics, seem more important to me that hitting a mark every single day.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-04, 02:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Gamifying workouts? I'm intrigued to hear some more...
Isn’t that basically the entire concept of the Activity app?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-04, 07:53

Fitocracy is the site we were using. There is even an AppleNova group there. I logged in again for the first time in years to see stuff to be able to bring it up. This is the old thread about it here at AN.

I don't know if they are working through the points the way they used to but I'm level 18 on there but likely won't be progressing. I pretty much only use the Watch now combine with Heath App to track my activity. I still use FitBit for their scale. I really wish there was a native scale to Health App that didn't require workarounds.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-19, 13:13

Titanium.

Oh man I hope this is true. I know the only difference between this and the Stainless Steel would likely be the case.. but man I love titanium watches.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-19, 13:49

Hey, a grand for some metal!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-19, 13:59

I have to say though, I won't buy aluminum again. This (series 3 w/ cellular) screen can't handle the daily abuse I put it through.

The light brushing is in the screen, not a smear. I wiped it off with a cloth before snapping the picture. I never had that issue with the sapphire on my original Apple Watch. There is no way I'm buying aluminum again unless I'm literally throwing money at something so I can abuse it.

So I would assume the titanium one would have a similar (or better if it's an option) than the stainless one.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-08-19, 19:11

I had the same issue with my Series 2 Aluminum. With the Series 4, I went with the Stainless option and it has held up incredibly well. I have a pretty hands on job and am in the field more then at my desk as well as working out daily and it looks fantastic after almost a year.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-19, 19:36

Yeah, the stainless steel and Edition models have a sapphire crystal lens, which is a must IMO. I mean, I’ve never gone with an aluminum Apple Watch but I’m just not confident in the ability of the Ion-X glass to handle daily wear.

It’s a little weird that they would discontinue the ceramic for a year just to bring it back.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-08-20, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Yeah, the stainless steel and Edition models have a sapphire crystal lens, which is a must IMO. I mean, I’ve never gone with an aluminum Apple Watch but I’m just not confident in the ability of the Ion-X glass to handle daily wear.

It’s a little weird that they would discontinue the ceramic for a year just to bring it back.
The glass on the aluminum models isn't up to the task. Mine is pretty scratched up and worn looking. I don't mind because it's a very utilitarian watch for me - mostly just for workouts - but it's not very durable.

Oh, and "hi!" everyone!

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-08-20, 21:25

HOLYCRAP

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-20, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
HOLYCRAP

How am I still in the top 10 posters here?!?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2019-08-20, 22:44

Tori - hi!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-21, 01:40

Hi torifile
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-21, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
How am I still in the top 10 posters here?!?
Because all the jabbering monkeys went and hid in Facetwitsnap, that's why!

Welcome back. Glad to hear your keyboard rattling again!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2019-08-22, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
The glass on the aluminum models isn't up to the task. Mine is pretty scratched up and worn looking. I don't mind because it's a very utilitarian watch for me - mostly just for workouts - but it's not very durable.

Oh, and "hi!" everyone!
Where the fuck have you been?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-22, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Where the fuck have you been?
That's a good question! No where really. I mean as far as my online communities go. I am on twitter a bunch but I mostly read rather than tweet. I'm on facebook a bit but only I don't friend anyone I've ever been to school with so it's just some light use. Some reddit for troubleshooting/advice and trolling a little.

But there's never been a replacement for this site.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-23, 08:53

Good to see you again tori!