User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

AirPods (2019)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AirPods (2019)
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-15, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I still do not believe removing the 3.5” jack was an innovative move,
Nobody is saying it was.

Quote:
nor are the AirPods. The audio quality, if the same as the lightning versions as people here say they are, are not worth the price, to me.
There is absolutely no question that products like the Bragi Dash or the Apple AirPods are innovative.

That there are headphones with better audio quality is completely irrelevant. It'd be like saying "yeah the Nissan Leaf puts an electric motor in a small car, but a Lamborghini is so much faster!".

Quote:
None of you have presented a reasonable point to say that either items are innovative, you’d rather make personal attacks, because that’s just easier.
I'm making personal attacks, if you want to call them that, because your style of argumentation isn't very sophisticated. Assertions like "A Bluetooth adaptor doesn’t cost $100, nor the case and a doubt the batteries do either." or "it’s outright robbery." just don't give the impression that you've put a lot of thought into it.

Quote:
Saying, “millions of people loves them”, doesn’t make it innovative.
That's true. But it wasn't said in response to the question of whether they're innovative. It was stated, I assume, to argue that they can't possibly that bad at such a satisfaction rate.

[quote=PB PM;805940]And yes I still believe the push to remove wired headphones from devices, phones or otherwise, is a move to push buyers up market,[quote]

And that would actually be a reasonable point if you had made it that way from the start.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-15, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
AirPods pair simply by holding the device next to a supported Apple product and opening the case. That’s it. This has never been done before in the industry.
I'm actually not sure if that's true. NFC-based pairing existed in some other use cases before, I think.

(Arguably, NFC-based Wi-Fi Protected Setup would be an example.)

Quote:
Also, AirPods are not the same earbuds as EarPods.They use different speakers, different electronics, and have different venting. They have built-in microphones and proximity sensors. They’re the same shape, but are vastly different internally. They are not a wireless version of EarPods.
Yeah, but they really should be. (Though the mic is a good point — on the EarPods, the mic is clearly external.)

If I can have EarPods with AirPods-like drivers for $39, maybe a bit more, I'm in.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-15, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I'm actually not sure if that's true. NFC-based pairing existed in some other use cases before, I think.

(Arguably, NFC-based Wi-Fi Protected Setup would be an example.)
Apologies. We're talking about A) Headphones, and B) Bluetooth. And in this regard there is nothing else like AirPods in the industry.

Fortunately, this thread has accomplished one thing. It has made me realize that the iPhone was never innovative at all. You see, touch screen phones existed before. Phones with graphical UI existed before. Bluetooth existed before. WiFi existed before. SOC's existed before. Flash memory existed before. Batteries existed before. Since these things all existed before the iPhone, the iPhone was not innovative at all!

Yep, sounds absurd.

AirPods, like iPhone, were the first product of their kind that brought their respective feature set together into one place. That is innovation. If it isn't, then the iPhone wasn't innovative, either. Nor was the Mac, or the iPod, or Tesla or Space X or any other product, ever, as their respective technologies all pre-existed in as their bit parts in some capacity. Innovation is the sum of the parts, not the parts themselves. To continue stripping out a single part and claiming "this has been done before" is grandiose straw-clutching, and nothing more.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-08-15 at 11:11.
chucker

2019-08-15, 10:55

Quote:
If we can't manage it I'll go ahead and spin this AirPods debate off and combine it with the other AirPods thread and the rambling can continue over there.

Maybe that's appropriate either way.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-15, 11:03

Might be.

And, done!

I seem to have missed a button and redirected at least one link here from the iPhone conversation. Sorry about that.

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-08-15 at 11:23.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-08-18, 01:04

I haven't read ANY of the conversation on this page.

Just stopped in to say that I finally bought some Airpods and they're AMAZING.

So incredibly convenient - more transparent operation than any other headset I've ever used with any mobile phone - simply stunning.

All of this makes me really sad that I lost my left airpod less than a week after buying them.

But I will buy a replacement enthusiastically, because I'm so angry at myself for having waited so long to try these out.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-18, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
All of this makes me really sad that I lost my left airpod less than a week after buying them.

Glue them in, goofball!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-19, 09:39

Don't worry Drew, I was a late adopter too. I'm really glad I went for them when I did. I still don't live by them simply because how my daily life works. When I want them though, they are awesome. Really, I should get the Beats version since I normally need the sound isolation more than voice calling.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-19, 10:06

My daughter just got the Beats Studio 3 wireless. I had already sampled them at work—they are awesome!—and told her to go for it when she bought her (hopefully last) college computer (a new MacBook Air). She loves her Beats—which, by the way, use the same Apple-only-has-it bluetooth pairing system found in the AirPods. She asked me how to set them up and I said, "read the instructions" and she was like, that's it?

Yep.

And now she can study in her room, listen to music, and not have to hear her grandpa's blasting TV in the next room.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-19, 10:09

How well do they work for phone calls? I assume just as awesome as AirPods but figured I'd check since you've had first hand experience with them.

Edit: wait, I thought those were the small bud style. I'm more looking for those other wireless options that are closer to the AirPods.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2019-08-19, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Edit: wait, I thought those were the small bud style. I'm more looking for those other wireless options that are closer to the AirPods.
Beats X, maybe? They're kind of in between.

(But neither Beats Studio 3 nor Beats X have the H1 yet, only the W1. The PowerBeats Pro do have the H1, I believe.

If Apple ever revises the Beats X to have the H1, I think that's perfect for me.)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-19, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
How well do they work for phone calls?
No idea. She hasn't mentioned it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-19, 12:52

Yes, the PowerBeats Pro is exactly what I have in mind! It does have the H1 as well.
Quote:
Stay connected from a distance with the new Apple H1 Chip