AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Buying Stock in Apple

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buying Stock in Apple
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Buffalo
Formerly “Oyarses”

2007-01-05, 18:45

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has any stock in Apple. I am thinking that this weekend is a very good time to buy stock due to the upcoming WWDC, but I have never bought stock before in anything so I thought it would be a good idea to ask around and see what others think. If you own stock in Apple could you tell me how often the stock splits (if it does) or just anything that may hlp me make a good desicion about this. Thanks!
autodata
hustlin

2007-01-05, 18:52

Actually, a week ago wednesday morning was a *fantastic* time to buy

(kicks self for not having spare cash in brokerage account)

Anyway, start at yahoo finance and make sure to use the new charts.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-01-05, 19:00

The last stock split was in Feb 05 I believe.

With a few potential rumored growth drivers and one known one (iTV), this could be a great year for Apple. That said, it is a volatile stock, so be sure you're able to tolerate the risk.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-05, 20:06

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a bunch of shares when it was down under $20 several years back (pre-iPod).
Buffalo
Formerly “Oyarses”

2007-01-05, 22:14

So you think that it would be wise or unwise for me to buy this weekend?
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-01-05, 22:50

It usually goes up before MacWorld. You might wait and see if there is anymore news regarding the backdating investigation - it dipped last week on news regarding the stock-options backdating.

I've been buying AAPL stock for a few years now. I opened a ShareBuilder Roth IRA account when I started my current job.
You can deposit $4000 per year into a Roth IRA and ShareBuilder makes it easy to pick the stocks that you want to invest your money in.

I think I got into AAPL at $32 and my most recent chunk was at $72.
Jamie240

2007-01-06, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyarses View Post
So you think that it would be wise or unwise for me to buy this weekend?
If at all possible, it would be nice if you could buy a high-priced stock like Apple when the price is temporarily low. The entire market occasionally takes a brief dive, for one reason or another, at which time the prices of almost all stocks dip a bit lower than normal for a short period.

The dip might only last for a few hours; but if you have an account already set up, with a chunk of money already in it, then you can buy during the dip and get a pretty good price.

However, you have to be watching the market closely to take advantage of this situation. For example, there are times when companies announce their quarterly earnings. If a large, important company announces earnings that are lower than expected, that information can have a brief negative effect on the entire market - as in, a significant downturn for a few hours. The stock you are wanting to buy might go down 10% for a brief time that day, which would be a good time to buy it.

Or sometimes the market has a brief downturn when the Federal Reserve Board announces a rise in interest rates. Fed. announcements are scheduled in advance, and their decision about raising or lowering interest rates is based on other announcements about the national economy, like about the unemployment rate, the rate of new housing starts, and so forth.

Apple is being investigated about various past stock options issues; and if there are further negative findings, the stock price will probably dip on the day that such information is released to the press. You could wait for that possible event; or you could go ahead and buy now.

Or, you could use half of your allocated money and buy some stock now; and then buy more later if any negative announcements are made.

Always, however, you should only invest money that you are fully prepared to lose.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-06, 09:21

I'm waiting for Jobs to leave. That should knock it down a good ways, even if all their products and positions are still strong / a good chance someone sharp will replace him.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-01-06, 09:45

Ok, Im 19, I want to invest a little cash now in stock. I know that AAPL is only on the American Stock Exchange, Nasdaq right? Can you buy stock in AAPL when you are not in that country?

I know these might be utterly ridiculous questions, but I have never stepped foot in the investment world.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-01-06, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
Actually, a week ago wednesday morning was a *fantastic* time to buy

(kicks self for not having spare cash in brokerage account)
Same here. I would have been all over it if the dip had happened when I wasn't on vacation.
MCQ
Veteran Member

2007-01-06, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dobbs View Post
Ok, Im 19, I want to invest a little cash now in stock. I know that AAPL is only on the American Stock Exchange, Nasdaq right? Can you buy stock in AAPL when you are not in that country?

I know these might be utterly ridiculous questions, but I have never stepped foot in the investment world.
Apple also trades on other stock exchanges, probably in a similar way to the ADR (American Depository Receipts) that are used in the US to trade some foreign companies.

I think this is the right Yahoo finance link for Apple's stock in the UK:
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ACP.L
Buffalo
Formerly “Oyarses”

2007-01-06, 10:51

Thanks! I actually opened up a ShareBuilder account a few days ago before I posted this! I think that I will buy some stock this weekend, but I'll also keep and eye on when the "bad news" is released and when Jobs leaves.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-06, 11:13

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....rol-faq#stock4
Quote:
Q: What exchanges does Apple stock trade on?
A: Apple common shares are traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market under the ticker symbol AAPL, and on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange under the symbol APCD.
At Yahoo! Finance, the latter is actually "APC.F".
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-06, 14:44

I was just googling for information about the London Stock Exchange and found this article.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...inline=nyt-org

Quote:
Nasdaq Starts Push for Majority Control of London Market

By HEATHER TIMMONS

Nasdaq officially makes $5.3 billion hostile bid for London Stock Exchange; stockholders will initially have until Jan 11 to tender their shares to Nasdaq, which is offering 12.43 pounds ($24.49) apiece; Nasdaq already owns 28.75 percent of London market and needs simple majority, or just one share over 50 percent, to take control; it can extend deadline once, to Feb 10; London exchange quickly rebuffs bid.
I haven't been paying attention to stock market issues for some time, and therefore was surprised to find that the Nasdaq is making a hostile takeover bid for the London Stock Exchange.

That seems so strange somehow, that a group of investors could actually take over the stock exchange of another nation. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dobbs

I had no idea you were only 19. Whoa! You sound... older.

Your questions are not at 'all' ridiculous. Investing in the stock market can be pretty mystifying, and there are indeed *many* questions that anyone would have when getting started.

There's really no escaping the fact that each individual investor must do his homework: start reading about investing as much as possible, start observing the market, start tuning in regularly to financial channels for investment talk shows and discussion groups.

However, if you're mostly just interested in buying one stock for now, you'll still need to read up on the process and on what you have to do to get an account set up. The fact that the one stock you're interested in is a 'foreign' stock, makes it a bit trickier.

The first thing you need to do is to find a good brokerage company - one that has excellent reviews as a business organization, and good prices for online stock purchases. Also check into what fees are charged for maintaining your account.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-01-06, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
I had no idea you were only 19. Whoa! You sound... older.

Your questions are not at 'all' ridiculous. Investing in the stock market can be pretty mystifying, and there are indeed *many* questions that anyone would have when getting started.

There's really no escaping the fact that each individual investor must do his homework: start reading about investing as much as possible, start observing the market, start tuning in regularly to financial channels for investment talk shows and discussion groups.

However, if you're mostly just interested in buying one stock for now, you'll still need to read up on the process and on what you have to do to get an account set up. The fact that the one stock you're interested in is a 'foreign' stock, makes it a bit trickier.

The first thing you need to do is to find a good brokerage company - one that has excellent reviews as a business organization, and good prices for online stock purchases. Also check into what fees are charged for maintaining your account.
Carol, thankyou very much.

But seriously, thanks for the tips. I need to read up on this a lot more, and probably invest in some up and comers. Living in Cambridge, I am at the heart of venture capital, so there must be loads of up and coming businesses that I could buy some shares of. Besides, Apple shares are fooking expensive, something like 44.42 or something like that. I could get hundreds of Lil' Drews Pies shares for that.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-06, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dobbs View Post
Carol, thankyou very much.

But seriously, thanks for the tips. I need to read up on this a lot more, and probably invest in some up and comers. Living in Cambridge, I am at the heart of venture capital, so there must be loads of up and coming businesses that I could buy some shares of. Besides, Apple shares are fooking expensive, something like 44.42 or something like that. I could get hundreds of Lil' Drews Pies shares for that.
You're welcome.

I think Apple would be worth buying even if you can only afford ten shares for now.

I can't tell you how much I envy those people here at AN who bought Apple at $14 and $20 per share. What lucky dogs they are.

But if you buy now, in two years you will probably be SO glad you bought when Apple was at 44.

There are also a few people here who bought Apple at $14, and who then sold huge portions of their shares to buy a car or something. Omg. Those shares would have been worth an absolute *fortune* by now! Much better to mow lawns to get money for that car... and *not* sell your valuable Apple stock. Just my opinion though.

Another thing, when I was more actively investing in the market, I had the problem of getting money into my brokerage accounts quickly. One company had offices here in town, and I could drive over and give them a check.

Another company did have an office in town, but they wouldn't take money for deposit into an investor's account. Instead, I had to mail a check to San Diego, California.

What a pain! That company has since merged with another, and I imagine the rules are all different now. However, it might be nice if the brokerage company you choose has an office there in Cambridge. That way, you can hand in a check, or talk to someone about your account, in person.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-07, 19:45

Omg. I hope some of you who were thinking about investing in Apple actually followed through on that.

I bought some Apple shares 3-4 months ago(?) at $69, and it's already up to $124 today.

That's a $55 increase per share in just a few months!

I bought more shares a month ago; and I just bought more this week.

Even if Apple were 'only' to increase 20% from this week's price, that's still a ton better than any savings account or certificate of deposit.

I think Apple stock will be a safe bet for a good while.

The only thing that could significantly mess up that scenario, imo, would be another terrorist attack on the US.

I have a Roth IRA account with Charles Schwab; and a normal investment account (i.e. 'not' an IRA) with TD Ameritrade.

So, if you have *still* been sitting on your a$$ / a$$ets, get busy and set up an investment account with a good brokerage that has an office near you.

You'll need to go in to set up the account and deposit some money into it. Buy some Apple shares while you are there, so they can help you do it.

Maybe even call ahead of time and ask what time of the day/week they aren't very busy. Then they'll have more time to devote to you.
MCQ
Veteran Member

2007-06-07, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I bought some Apple shares 3-4 months ago(?) at $69, and it's already up to $124 today.
Really? Last I saw, the lowest price in that period was $83.
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=AAP...d=p69253854233

It still has potential catalysts going for it, but quite a bit has been baked into the price over the last 6 weeks.

It acted fairly well today considering the broader market though. Good for a longer term investment, but I wouldn't necessarily expect another 20% move up too quickly. Perhaps wait for a pullback to buy.
¡Damned!

2007-06-07, 20:48

Quote:
I think Apple stock will be a safe bet for a good while.
I don't.

The markets are betting on the iPhone buzz right now, but come June 29 the market is going to realize and report on what an incredible rip-off the iPhone is when they factor in what it actually provides, at&t's monopoly, and the total cost of ownership. Eye candy only goes so far. Mark my words.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-06-07, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I don't.

The markets are betting on the iPhone buzz right now, but come June 29 the market is going to realize and report on what an incredible rip-off the iPhone is when they factor in what it actually provides, at&t's monopoly, and the total cost of ownership. Eye candy only goes so far. Mark my words.
Just like the iPod, right?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-07, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ View Post
Really? Last I saw, the lowest price in that period was $83.
Well, I bought at $69, whenever that was. (That's why I said "3-4 months ago(?)" *with* the question mark.)

Quote:
Good for a longer term investment,
I am definitely a long-term investor.

Quote:
but I wouldn't necessarily expect another 20% move up too quickly.
I'm patient.

Quote:
Perhaps wait for a pullback to buy.
Yeah, that's what I thought when the market tanked some weeks back. Apple didn't budge. So I went ahead and bought more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Were people skeptical about the iPod when it first came out?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-06-07, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
come June 29 the market is going to realize and report on what an incredible rip-off the iPhone is when they factor in what it actually provides
It's been five months since the iPhone demo, and I still haven't seen anyone back up
1) that the iPhone is significantly higher-priced than similar smartphones
2) that any of its competitors have even remotely the amount of built-in storage
3) that any of its competitors have a user interface anywhere near as good.

I'm not at all in the market for an iPhone (I don't have a cellphone at all right now), but to suggest that the iPhone is "an incredible rip-off" or "doesn't actually provide much" without going into any further detail at all is just lame.

Quote:
That would be quite the understatement! In fact, many die-hard Apple fans were in a strict mindset that Apple should have stuck to its core market. There's also the often-cited Slashdot statement of CmdrTaco's: "No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame."

Last edited by chucker : 2007-06-07 at 21:27. Reason: Posts merged
¡Damned!

2007-06-07, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Heh. Um, no, but this touches on what I'm talking about. The pundits are predicting...nay, expecting that the iPhone will be this unbelievable new paradigm to phones as the iPod was to mp3 players. *BUT* it's a completely different business model. A third party is involved. A third party that has a monopoly on this cool new gadget. Very, very different than the iPod that just came out there and said "we're better, give us a try". The iPhone says "I'm better, ditch your other cellular company, buy me for 600 bucks, let's talk about rates for voice, data, etc. and then hope I'm worth it". I'm not discounting what the iPhone is, personally I think it's unbelievable, I'm just more than a bit worried that it's too locked down to be something as revolutionary as the iPod was.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2007-06-07, 21:48

Quote:
Yup. More than you'd imagine. I personally went down to my local Apple reseller when they finally had them in stock and the guys were kind enough to open up a box and let me handle one. I looked, felt, played...and then said 'Feh' and went on my way. An hour later I was on the phone with them telling them to save the one that my fingerprints were on...and I was putting music on it later that day. So, yeah.

Maybe once I get my dirty little hands on the iPhone I'll be similarly entranced, but when I step back and look at the big picture it obviously won't be as much as an impulse buy as the iPod. This is where I have some problems in the comparison between the two devices.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2007-06-07, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I'm not at all in the market for an iPhone (I don't have a cellphone at all right now), but to suggest that the iPhone is "an incredible rip-off" or "doesn't actually provide much" without going into any further detail at all is just lame.
Details, details...you fucking Aries like those, don't you?

I guess I'm talking more perception vs. reception: with the former driving the stock price up and my prediction that the latter will drive the stock price down. I mean, we, the people that actually follow this shit, barely know what the final costs will be for a full contract. You can bet your balls that once the press gets a grasp on that they will not be kind...and the general populace will not respond favorably to such headlines as "iPhone home: send money!".

I guess I could have been a little clearer with the "ripoff" comment, and for that I apologize. I wasn't talking about the device per se, I was more channeling the reaction once this is actually on the market and all costs are factored in.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2007-06-07, 22:20

I should also clear up that I was not talking about a long-term hold. Simply that the stock will dip following introduction (not just a MW dip, but a weeklong dip at least), then gradually climb back up after that (nothing dramatic...I think it will start to climb much more slowly after the iPhone).

But that's just me.

[edit]: Yay for the death of post merging!

[edit2]: Even though 709 is known far and wide for his seemingly prescient stock tips, he will take no responsibility if you follow his dumb ass advice today as he is half way through a 30-pack of PBR cans.

[edit3]: And he can still spell. suck it drewprops!

[edit4]: Hmm. Did I spell prescient right? That's a fucking weird looking word.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2007-06-07 at 22:39.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-06-07, 22:41

Oy... I think I earned that one.......
¡Damned!

2007-06-07, 22:52

I take my spelling very seriously. Hell, I don't even think Camino* has a spell check...does it?

* I have a fully irrational love for Camino, so please don't chide me. I know, I know....I just can't give her up.

So it goes.
digitalprimate

2007-06-07, 23:16

I bought Apple shares mid January (at 86), just before the convention. But since then it only went up up up and from what I've learned from my teacher of Economics, is that buying when something has been on the up for awhile, is not always a smart move.

He gave the example of the price of Gold or L&H-shares. People heard the price of it was rising and then contemplated and finally bought some. After which it came at the end of it's rise and only increased marginally before it started to drop.
That's why I haven't bought extra shares. I also bought Sony shares, since I gathered that after their debacle-year of 2006 there was still considerable room for improvement.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-06-08, 03:15

Pre-iPod.