New iMacs
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-08-14, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I noticed that, too, but it doesn't really matter. The next model is the entry one with more storage (and slightly faster CPU).

(It's pretty weird that you can put 128 GB RAM and 10 GigE in it, though. Sure, max out the RAM and networking, but CPU and SSD? Nah!)
The only thing I can think of is that they expect it to be used in small business offices, hooked up to a server (thus no big internal storage demand), but the user might still need fast network speeds and tons of RAM to throw at work being done? Does seem like a truly odd ball machine otherwise. Then again you’d want a more powerful CPU for demanding workloads. It seems designed entirely to push users upmarket.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-14, 11:01

I think Apple is just done with hard drives, but the stuff they use is too expensive to shovel large bits into entry models and still maintain margins. What's more weird is that the Fusion Drive still exists as an option in the 21" models.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-08-14, 14:51

Apple isn’t using high end SSDs, unless they are using server grade SLC or MLC flash, which I doubt. The speed is no where close to the high end consumer PCI-E and NVME drives on the market, for much lower prices per/GB. The “it’s too expensive” argument ended two or three years ago.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-08-15, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
What's more weird is that the Fusion Drive still exists as an option in the 21" models.
Maybe the Intel 27" is built for longevity (for the Apple Store.) It's going to hang around as an option long after the Apple Silicon models appear, for those customers that need a Boot Camp-capable option. Thus, it went all SSD and Apple can just drop in higher capacities in the future.

The 21" Intel is going to disappear soon, so Apple didn't go crazy future-proofing the logic board or giving it the nano-coating option.

Just a guess.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2020-08-17, 12:15

Snagged a 27” model today, but have to wait until next month to receive it. Will upgrade the RAM to 32GB once it arrives.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-17, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
It's going to hang around as an option long after the Apple Silicon models appear, for those customers that need a Boot Camp-capable option.
I'm confident that Apple no longer cares about supporting Windows anything. They are not making decisions about iMacs based on Boot Camp. They are making decisions based on how far along their processors are, the logic to support them, and manufacturing. That's it.

Any effort to support Windows will be left to the virtual machine guys to figure out.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-17, 14:15

I think you are right about this. I figure my "escape" plan will be to move my work VM to an ESXi host and just remote into it with MS RDP and work that way. I'm not in a hurry to switch my primary work computer to an actual PC. I mean, Windows 10 has come a long way with WSL 2 and adding Docker makes it much more tolerable. There are just so many things that I don't like that making a PC my daily driver would be less than fun.

I'm sure we will be able to emulate x64 on ARM one way or another but it won't be any more than than running a Windows OS on a USB 2.0 flash drive. I'm imagining that is about the best performance we would see in real world.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-08-17, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Snagged a 27” model today, but have to wait until next month to receive it. Will upgrade the RAM to 32GB once it arrives.
Congrats. Did you get the new nano coating? I'd like to hear some reviews on whether it's worth the extra $$$.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2020-08-17, 15:45

Quote:
Congrats. Did you get the new nano coating? I'd like to hear some reviews on whether it's worth the extra $$$.
No, that option was too rich for my blood after laying out for the 5700XT.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-08-18, 03:37

Quote:
Jason Snell is really into it: https://sixcolors.com/post/2020/08/2...-picture-show/

Quote:
It’s spectacular. The nano-texture glass doesn’t stop all light from bouncing off the display and back into your eyes, but it cuts it down and diffuses it remarkably. Unlike so many add-on films and coatings that cut down on glare but make a display feel murky or muddy, the iMac’s display feels unnaturally clear. Even with a window directly behind me, I could see everything on the screen clearly.

If you’re someone who struggles with glare on your monitor, especially if you’re a graphics or video pro for whom every little visual detail matters, you might have sighed at the cost of the Pro Display XDR (let alone the $1000 add-on for the nano-texture). Now it’s here as a $500 option on an iMac.
Marco Arment doesn't seem into it; he said recently that he preferred the non-coated version of the Pro Display XDR.

Cost aside, there's also the cleaning concern. Probably not a very kid-safe display.

This also has interesting implications for touch. If the iMac ever does go touch, does Apple permanently make a distinction between "you can get either the touch screen, or the reduced-glare screen"?